.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Rimrock Trail

So today I had to survey Rimrock Trail again for birds. It was sunny and warm and it was an enjoyable morning.
I headed out down the 2.2 mile trail.
I had to cross the creek over those stones. Luckily the water is low, so it was an easy task. Then it was up and up and up.


The trail leads to the top of the hill. My walking stick helps me get up and down the steep parts.


Prickly Pear Cactus can be found along the way and at the top. The tree in the back is an ash juniper. Ash juniper is prime nesting habitat for the golden-cheeked warbler. None have arrived from the south yet, but it won't be long.

The views from the top of the hill are outstanding. To the far right is where I parked the refuge van.

Then it was back down the trail to do two other trails out at the Doeskin Ranch. I didn't see huge numbers of birds, but what a day to be outdoors. By the time I got down, it was close to eighty degrees and no mosquitoes. You can't ask for much more than that.

I spent the afternoon working in the office doing further work on the education programs. When I got back to the rig, about 4:30, there was a small flock of chipping sparrows joining the house finches, titmice, and American goldfinches at the feeder. The birds went through a full feeder of food today, so I restocked before heading inside to make some brocolli soup from scratch for dinner. Tomorrow, it's back to Warbler Vista for another bird survey, and then I'll welcome friends, Diana and John, to the refuge. I've enjoyed my solitude up here on the hill, but both Emma and I will appreciate some neighbors.

Sorry for the duplicate picture. Don't know why that happens some times.

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment