.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Three days of cold and rain…

…makes for some pretty boring dreary days.  When it is raining and the high temps for the day remain in the lower 40’s, I’m not very interested in going anywhere or doing anything.  I took Emma for her outs of course, but that was about it.  Haven’t even tried to fix the windshield wiper.  It does appear that there is a scratch along the windshield though.  Shucks!

IMG_2771

The highlights for me today were all things I saw out my dinette window this afternoon.  A nice mated pair of Canada geese, at least one of which was banded, were on high alert in my yard.

IMG_2773

Three young goslings were the reason why.  Mom and Dad were keeping a watchful eye over them.

IMG_2772

As is often the case with three siblings, two were behaving themselves and quietly finding new shoots to gobble down. 

IMG_2777

But you know there’s always one that walks to the beat of a different drummer.  It struck out on its own, and made its way closer and closer to the rig.  Eventually, a parent came to hustle it back to the group.

With all of this time spent in the rig you would have thought I’d have plenty of time to clean every inch of it, but that just didn’t happen.  I’ve just been a lazy bum.  I did line up my next stop in Missouri when I leave here on Monday.  Hopefully by that time the sun will be shining again.  Who would believe there would be such a storm as this in May?  I’m just glad I wasn’t any further north and in the middle of a snowstorm.

IMG_2780

A number of rigs moved in yesterday, but not as many as I had originally expected.  Even though it was raining, several weekend warriors tried their hand at shore fishing.  Brrr!  I like fishing, but not in this cold.  I’m very happy to be retired so I don’t have to cram all my enjoyed activities into the weekend.

There’s a possibility there may be partly cloudy skies tomorrow with a slight improvement in the temps, so I may just journey out to visit a local winery for a tour and lunch.  In the meantime, I’ll just listen to the pitter patter on the roof, and continue to be a bum.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

23 comments:

  1. If anyone deserves some "bum" time, it's you! Enjoy it!

    One thing I enjoy about the Canada geese is their devotion to their offspring. They really take care of those babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy, we are in the same boat. It has been raining all day with more on the way. We are just sitting it out and being very lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures of the geese and the babies... little furry things. Can NOT believe this weather. We've had lousy weather and snow and ice in April before but May?

    Yeah, it's supposed to clear tomorrow with sunshine ~ says 66 for the high in Ozark ~ so hopefully you can get out and visit the wineries and other stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute are those goslings? Love to see little ones making their way in the world.

    I am trying to send you some of our beautiful Ohio weather. Hope it gets there in time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing wrong with being a bum. Rain is forecast for 3.5 days out of the 7 we'll be vacationing at the beach. Lots of cozy time indoors being a bum here, I think! Your gosling photos are so much better than mine. My telephoto lens for my good camera is . . . ill. Sigh. Aren't they cute, though? Can't wait to see how much ours have grown by the time we time we get back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the little necks on the goslings - they are already tiny geese. I'm really enjoying noticing the markings on different birds. These geese have really pretty colors like blocking.

    I wouldn't mind a day or two of some rain on the roof. It's so cozy inside. But then I'd want sun again. The plants and waterways sure need water here in New Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure doesn't feel like spring. I think we all are hoping for warmer weather and sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being a bum is good! It helps your body heal from the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gadfrey, I'm glad you're weren't any further north - "camping" in the snow or in freezing conditions is NOT appealing! (Jimmy sez I would've been the one wandering off! Hmmm, wonder how he knows that?) Hey, what's retirement for if you can't be a lazy bum whenever you feel like it?!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awe, you deserve a down day. In fact, you deserve a down weekend! Just kick back & relax. Sorry about the scratch though, that sucks. I'm sure Emma had no complaints hanging out with Mom today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Last year I was watching 2 families of Geese at Toledo Bend Lake. One family was going South with 7 young and the other family was going North with 18 young. I was wondering how they were going to keep all that straight when they met because they all looked the same to me. When the parents got close together they started a big ruckus and one family went one way and the other family went the other way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Weather since the beginning of May hasn't been good for us either, although we only had one really cold night, and daytimes have been nice. Lots of wind and rain, though. No Canada geese for us to watch, but we did get to track a bunny building a nest. When we got up yesterday, it was totally covered, so I am guessing some babies are inside, but we're not going to touch the nest to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You said a mouthful when you said, so glad you're retired so you don't have to cram everything you enjoy doing into a short weekend. I agree. Wishing you sunshine real soon. The north is finally getting our much deserved spring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have the chilly, windy, rainy too. Like you I "should" clean the house but I too am just a lazy bum sitting around writing blog comments. I feel better knowing I'm in such good company.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Where is all this Global Warming when you need it?

    Cute pictures of those goslings, you'll always find some great picture to take, despite the rain and cold. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would check with the place that put the windshield wipers on and ask them to replace my windshield or pay for the repair if it is repairable. When I change wipers on our vehicles, I keep the old set for spares in case one malfunctions like yours did.

    Please be careful on the road.

    Rex

    ReplyDelete
  17. nothing wrong with having a lazy day once in awhile. . .recharges the batteries. . .I'm with you. . .all this cold and dreary makes me SADD. . .

    Hopefully the sunshine has found you by now. . .

    Janice
    ReadyToGoFullTimeRVing Blog
    FaceBook.com/ReadyToGoFullTimeRVing

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry about the wiper and windshield problem. But like Rex said I would call and let the place that installed them know what happened.
    Glad your stuck in the rain rather than snow. It can still be a royal pain to be stuck inside so long. Tue. and Friday we are expecting freezing rain. Yes this is Spring in the AZ. high coutry.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Squeeky wheel gets the oil...Let your peeps who installed those wipers know your issues with them....They should ante up for repairing that scratch too!!!! It's much nicer here in Illinois today, 65 and partly sunny...Hope it's headed your way!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Too bad about the window scratch from the wiper blade. I'm not sure going back to the installer for any compensation will work but who knows? If the scratch isn't too deep it might be repairable.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Canada Geese are such fascinating creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your repair shop certainly seems to be a reputable one, who values their customer loyalty. A phone call to them will probably lead to a fair solution and perhaps a recommendation to a local place for a refit of the wiper blade and an evaluation of the scratch. They really do need to know that the helper who installed the blade did not do the job well!! They might appreciate your call.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those babies are cute but I have to admit I am not a huge fan of the adults.

    ReplyDelete