.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Sitting out the latest storm

My plan today was to move a little further down the road towards Minnesota.  The skies didn’t look too promising when I got up, so I checked the radar.  It looked like I’d be fine to make it to my next destination in the morning and early afternoon.  So, I gave the Aux Arc COE Park (from the French pronunciation for Ozark) a call to see if I could arrive before their published 4:00 check in time.  They said to come on in since site B-15 was open. 

I packed up, stopped at the dump station, and headed out.  So much for watching the radar!  Within a half hour of getting on the road the rains began.  It wasn’t a terrible downpour, but I was happy I had new wiper blades installed at Thibodeaux’s when I was there.  Things went well for about 30 seconds, then the blade on the passenger’s side fell off and slid down the wiper arm.  EEK!  I was afraid the blade would go flying off into the beyond if I turned the wipers on.  The rain increased in intensity, and I had no choice but to turn them on.  Luckily, the blade didn’t fly off, but I stopped at the nearest rest area to try to fix it.  I was not successful.  I couldn’t get the blasted blade to stay on for more than a few swipes.  Grrr. 

I decided to bring the blade into the rig, and drive with only one wiper.  I tried to turn them on as little as possible as the arm kind of screeched across the window with each swipe.  Disappointed smile  If it stops raining tomorrow, I’ll give it another try and check to see if there was any damage to the window.

_MG_2048

I’ll be here on the Arkansas River until Monday.  I’m hoping the cold weather, rain, and possible snow will be gone by then. 

Yesterday afternoon, before I left Maumelle COE Park, I had two visitors stop by the rig.  The first one was a surprise, and unexpected.

_MG_2043

I’m sure a number of you read Janna’s blog.  Well, this is her sister Anne.  Anne works in Little Rock, reads my blog, and decided to stop by to say hello after work.  What a pleasant surprise that was.  I could see the family resemblance.

_MG_2046

Then a little later fellow blogger Carolyn (amigoingsomeplace) arrived to spend a couple of hours getting to know each other.  I really had no idea she lived in Little Rock.  When I read her blog, she’s always been on the road in her car.  I have to tell you that she could be a member of the Chamber of Commerce for Little Rock, and Arkansas in general.  What an ambassador for the state she is!

Seeing as I have a site directly on the banks of the Arkansas River this time, I’ll have to see what kind of traffic goes past tomorrow.  The forecast is not good, but maybe the rain will let up enough for a little outside time.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

29 comments:

  1. Seems it get harder and harder to get simple things done properly, nowadays. Hope you have a great visit at your latest stop, and the rain, snow, whatever, doesn't dampen your spirit too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the weather the way it's been you're wise to take it a day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well rats. Judy.. was wondering if you made it out before the RAIN hit... it's not supposed to get any better this weekend.

    If the snow does come ... I sure wouldn't try driving farther north ... Interstate 540 is a very nice but curvy ... you do know it has a tunnel? I know big rigs go that way so your clearance is surely no taller than theirs... You're in a beautiful spot and wine up the road a bit ... if it does.

    Glad you came my way ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must almost feel like you are never alone. How great to have visitors who share an interest in what you are doing.

    I had that same wiper thing happen to me on the interstate in the rain (before I got my camper van). Scary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer. I sure don't like it when a wiper comes loose, just do feel like you're the only one it's happened to. :c(

    Sit tight until the sun shines, I'm sure you'll find all kinds of things to amuse yourself. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate when the wipers don't work right, especially after you just got them replaced! DId you get it fixed? Or are you going to have to take it somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wait. duct tape fixes everything...right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopefully no damage to your windshield. Check it carefully, and make a call to the shop either way to let them know it wasn't installed properly. They don't know if you don't tell them!

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stay put for a few days, this midwest weather is a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Weather sounds bad all over... sorry you ran right into it... but I suppose rain is better than snow. Wow! 2 visitors in 1 day! You are one popular lady! It's kinda funny... I get to see Carolyn on your blog and see you on her blog. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you made it safe and sound. Hey, nice to put a face to a blog with that visit from Carolyn. I've recently started following her blog. Hunker down if ya have to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved my overnight visit to Aux Arc last year! Nice little park. Glad you and Carolyn got to see each other-- always great when bloggers can meet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lousy deal with the wiper, Hope you can get it back on or maybe have someone help you out.

    Wow 2 visitors from blog land.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Geez, I just checked the US radar (8 pm PDT) and the Midwest looks like it's in for it! Guess you'll be staying put for a while.... I sure wouldn't want to drive in that mess.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kevin and Ruth are correct. Wipers are really critical to safe driving. While I have no way of determining this, but the RV dealer probably did not use the same wipers that truckers use. Truckers don't fool around with cheap imitations because their livelihood and their lives depend on safety. Iwill try to find the place I got my wipers from and forward that to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hang on until the weather improves. Several weather records are being made right now in your directions and they are not god records:(

    ReplyDelete
  17. The weather definitely is not cooperating with your journey north. Hopefully you can stay put for a couple of days until this storm moves on out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Been reading your blog for a while..just started to full-time and on our way to South Dakota. We have stopped in Lawrence KS to let the weather pass. Antsy to get moving but Saturday is the earliest we think. Hang in there and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are a popular gal that's for sure. The wiper business would have scared me. I hate driving in the rain anyway and not having really good wipers would make me a nervous wreck. Hope you get it all fixed up and the rains go away. But they are predicted here for the next many days.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looking forward to your thoughts on Aux Arc. I'm going to be there in a couple of weeks. Trailering my bike behind a roadtrek to ride the pig trail!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another wonderful site. We have never stopped at that COE. Hopefully when the rain stops, you will post a few pictures.

    Trying to send MN some of our warm Ohio weather.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good photo of my sis!! Hope you get the wiper situation fixed soon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yikes! Hope that wiper gets fixed to your satisfaction and soon. REally crappy weather up north, hope you can stay out of it till it's gone...Love it that you met some fellow bloggers and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wiper blade installation isn't brain surgery..I would give them a piece of my mind (not that I have any to spare) for putting you in danger..Nothing is worse than wipers that screw up your vision...Hunker down for a few days..looks like this stuff, which is rain here, is big SNOW in Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've been watching that snowstorm...is it ever going to warm up? Of all the issues we could have with our homeson wheels, we've never thought about the wiper blade coming off!

    Enjoy some r and r!

    ReplyDelete
  26. so dangerous! I agree with Dennis and Donna, the people who installed those wipers should know that they put you in danger! Glad you're safe

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hate driving in the rain. Once had the motor on the driver's side wiper short out while traveling across northern GA in the rain. Stopped, put a coating of Rain X on the window and drove off in the rain. Great temporary fix.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hope the wiper didn't scratch the window. They can do some scratching! Cool that you got to meet folks. Carolyn is quite the character! You got a nice spot there too. Even if it means looking out the window a lot. Emma looks like she enjoyed the company too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. We have had this happen to us twice, one which was today. The first time they were brand new the drivers side flew off never to be seen again. It was pouring down and there was no place to pull over. Allan drove as I guided him until we found a place to pull over and fix the problem. He replaced the wiper on the driver's side with the one from the passenger side. To keep the empty arm from damaging the windshield, he put on a piece of noodle (swimming pool. Worked great.

    ReplyDelete