.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Just a note ♫

Many of the comments on yesterday’s post made great sense to me, so I took your advice and didn’t try to make it all the way to the refuge today.  I’m spending the night in Summit, SD, and will make the final push to Tamarac tomorrow. 

On a most positive note, the wind was almost nonexistent today so I had a smooth 145 mile trip.  Best of all, after once more climbing up the ladder to use duct tape on the awning arm before I left this morning, the awning stayed where it was supposed to all day.  Open-mouthed smile  Several folks suggested tying the arm with rope or Velcro or something.  I have to explain that this is one of those automatic awnings, and there’s nothing to tie off.  There is no space between the arm and the rig.  It’s flush against the side of the rig, so duct tape was my only option at this time.

Of course, that didn’t mean that whole trip was uneventful.  There’s always something, isn’t there?  Once I set up at my site here in Summit, I went back to retrieve the keys out of the toad and set the emergency brake.  My fob wouldn’t open the lock so I had to use the key in the door.  Odd.  Also, no dinging went off when I opened the door.  That told me something was up.  Turned out to be user error.  I have a stick shift car that I tow, so I put it in neutral and turn the key one notch up before leaving.  I always double check that, but this morning I didn’t.  Dang!  Seems I turned it a little past one notch, and the battery was dead as a door nail.

I went to see the host to see if he had jumper cables.  He did, we hooked them up, and still nothing.  Sad smile  Summit is a very small town in South Dakota.  The host said he’d call the local car repair guy in town even though it was a Sunday because he thought my battery was a goner.  I kept my fingers crossed. Within ten minutes the repair guy arrived with a portable jumper to give it a try.  It worked!  When I asked him what I owed him, he said, “Ten dollars ought to do it.”  Wow!  You can bet I gave him a nice tip for his trouble.

For some reason, I never even thought of calling my road side assistance plan.  I can’t imagine that they could have done any better than this local fellow did for me.

As far as the ♫ (note) is concerned?  I only get a couple of channels on the TV antenna here.  I often like to have the TV on in the background as I write.  I can’t believe the best channel reception just had ‘The Lawrence Welk Show’ on from 1956.  My dad died that year when I was eight years old.  Once my mom began dating again, she made us watch Lawrence Welk each Saturday night while she got ready to go dancing.  Ugh!  I can’t believe I had that on.  You go Myron Floyd!  Bubbles and all…

I guess this turned out to be more than a little note…

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy 

24 comments:

  1. I'm glad you didn't try to drive the whole way and very happy to hear you had a good day. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL over Myron Floren! And Norma Zimmer "the champagne lady". Too funny that we really seriously never watch TV but we wanted to see some of the NCAA College Basketball championships. I forget where we were but we could not get any of the the games but we did get Lawrence Welk. I couldn't believe he was still on. Glad you stopped. Glad you had an easy battery fix. Safe travels tomorrow and thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It could have been worse! Glad the car was OK after a jump. I bet it will be good to settle down again tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How well I remember Mr. Welk. Whenever I channel surf and see the show is on, I have to wonder who is watching?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew! That was easy! So glad the battery is fixed, the awning stayed put and you didn't try to go the whole way...I know you will be so glad to pull in to Tamarac tomorrow! I'm so excited...for you and us!

    Safe travels tomorrow!
    Hugs to Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, heck... ND means Lawrence Welk, Peggy Lee and all kinds of famous folks. My mom LOVED the Lawrence Welk show, so I grew up with the Bubble Machine as well... Glad you had a safe day and your event was fixable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back on the farm, one of my jobs was to sit with my grandmother and watch the Lawrence Welk show. I never did get it, but she sure loved it:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a note Judy, on the tuck tape. We did find after we removed it that it left a slight residue. But we used Goo Gone on it and it was as good as new. I'm glad that worked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've found that the local repair guys in smaller towns and rural areas are usually very reasonable and prompt. Glad you got your battery charged. My parents watched the Lawrence Welk show, so all us kids watched the Lawrence Welk show. I don't care for the re-runs of most programs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to hear you didn't try to get all the way to the reserve. Now when you do arrive you'll have the energy to get all set up and be ready to go. It sure would be nice if you could have a day of travel without any "excitement". Hope it goes smooth tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear you didn't push on ... tomorrow will be soon enough. I remember watching the Lawrence Welk Show as a child whenever we came to the States to visit my grandparents and aunts. I can see the champagne bubbles in my mind. Safe travels tomorrow on the last leg of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh you jogged my memories to my grandparents. We stayed with them most Saturday nights while our parents bowled. Lawrence Welk was a staple in their home. What a hoot. Thanks for the memories. All good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Has to be a good feeling--you are almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry you had some dead battery and FOB issues but looks like it turned out OK. There is something listening to that Lawrence Welk show. I didn't like it that much then but we watched it a lot. And every time I see it, I stop by for a few minutes or more and remember the good old days as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I missed your last post, I think it's all this fresh air kicking my butt. I'm glad you pulled over and stayed put. We had those winds here for almost 2 weeks.

    The battery was at least a cheap easy fix for you. What a nice guy.
    Maybe it was a Mother's Day Special.

    Wishing you good travels for the rest of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lawrence Welk was born in North Dakota so maybe you were picking up a channel that broadcasts his show 24/7!! What a gruesome thought!

    I suffered through many Saturday nights of his show when we were kids and we only had 1 TV in the house. I still cringe whenever I see his name!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We were in a rest area when our car battery died. Fortunately, we were near a city so our roadside service worked for us then. I like the small town guys, though, they've saved us more than once. Glad you found one to save you. Take that toad out for a good long drive to get the battery fully recharged as soon as you can, though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had to Google where you are headed in MN...I missed why you were going? Hoping the winds have died down some...maybe I can find an old post...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lawrence Welk...yep. Both my Gramas lived with us and if Mom and Dad went out they babysat us..Guess what we watched?? Lawrence Welk and Hit Parade...Shock Theater was out of the question when the gramas ruled! Glad you took it easy...Hope you can get settled in and really enjoy that great state..

    ReplyDelete
  20. You probably have arrive by now. Maybe even set up. here is to you and Emma having a wonderful summer. What? No Alligators!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you got along safely. I think you will want to replace that car battery soon.

    I actually LIKED watching Lawrence Welk, because I "got" to watch him at my Grandma's house. Her wish for me was that I would grow up to be little Janet Lennon. I didn't! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ah one and ah two.....oh yes, those were the days. So sorry to hear abot the battery but glad you got it fixed .

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad you didn't try to push through in one day and that you managed to get the awning secured. Be sure to remove that duct tape asap, because it gets harder to remove after it's baked on in the sun. Of course you're probably not having as much sun as we are, are you?

    When we got this motorhome with a Girard automatic awning, I asked the guy if we would ever have to worry about it unfurling like the regular awnings do. He said no, but I had my doubts and now you've proved me right. When you get it repaired, would you be sure to post what happened to cause the problem, so maybe we can be proactive and not have the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lawrence who? I'm too young to remember anyone by that name...it's true and I'm not blowing bubbles! :cD

    ReplyDelete