.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

I’m home for the summer!

Finally!!  When I got up this morning, there were shockingly calm winds in Summit, SD.  Yahoo!  I packed up and was on the road by 8:00.  Only about 180 miles to go to reach my destination.  The drive went smoothly for a change, and I was even able to gas up at a Love’s station outside of Fargo, ND, with the minimum amount of stress.  (there’s always stress involved with finding a gas station I can get in and out of easily)

IMG_2104

By 1:00, I was in my site at Tamarac NWR and took my time settling in.  What a relief to finally arrive here.  There are only two sites for RV volunteers, and they are both very nice.  The staff that helped me move in told me that the sites have only been here about three years or so, and were designed as if the staff would be living here.  You can tell they took some thought into making these sites.

IMG_2100

                             The rest of the pics tonight are the views from my rocker in my front yard.

Both sites are located on the top of a hill overlooking Flat Lake, and in my case, a creek leading into it.  There’s also lots of space between the two sites.  This definitely rates just about at the top of the list of all the volunteer sites I’ve been in.  Some refuges pack you in tight.  I don’t need to hear the bodily functions of my neighbors.  Smile with tongue out

IMG_2101

Besides the nice view and distance from my neighbor, the hookups are placed perfectly for water, sewer and 50 amp electric.  There are also two water pipes at each site.  One has soft water for use inside the rig, and the other one is for outside usage of water such as washing your rig.  I’ve never run into that before.  Can’t remember the last time I had soft water.

IMG_2103

I think one of the reasons my trip went so well today was that I climbed up on the roof of the rig last night.  That awning really had me worried.  I took a bunch of zip ties with me.  Even though the wind was still blowing blue blazes, I knew if I didn’t do something I’d be a wreck for the whole trip.  I used the zip ties to secure the arm as best I could, and came down with my fingers crossed.  It worked.

Then this morning, I had a comment from Paul Dahl that suggested the exact same thing.  I couldn’t wrap bungee cords around it the way he had, but my fix was good enough to get me here.

As I sat outside with Emma early this evening, two flocks of white pelicans soared overhead; the spring peepers were peeping, the trumpeter swans were trumpeting, and the common loons were yodeling.  I’m one happy camper tonight.  Open-mouthed smile  Thumbs up

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

53 comments:

  1. I am so glad you arrived safely--I was starting to worry!!! Sounds like you have landed in a perfect spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're all safe and sound. Sounds like you are going to have a great summer. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to read such good news! You and Emma have the perfect summer spot. I can hardly wait fot your fun/work to begin...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the sound of loons when I lived in MN. Seemed like I was in a flight pattern. Oh well, now I have Canada Geese! Looks like a dandy of a gig! Glad you made it safe, sound and not too stressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love hearing the good news that all went well today. Welcome home and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome home! You definitely deserved that easy drive after the trip you've had.

    What a wonderful place to spend the summer! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous site, I can sure see why you are a happy camper. I would be too. Glad you made it safe and sound. Looking forward to your new adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad the trip ended safely. Don't you wish Flat Joey was still with you so he could see his namesake lake?

    ReplyDelete
  9. FINALLY! So glad you got there safely. And what a campsite. It looks and sounds just gorgeous. I can see why you are one happy camper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh good! safe and settled and in a lovely place. It looks wonderful! Should be some nice times ahead of you here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice home! love the sounds ~ loons and swans? have I ever heard a swan trumpet? I don't think I have.... I just stayed at a place before coming home that had a pair visit right in front of my room.. dang!

    and I LOVE clicking here and seeing the Arkansas Wine Country photograph! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You new home looks wonderful! So happy for you and for the successful temporary fix too. Hope Emma likes her new territory as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just goes to show you that great minds think alike! :c)

    Now we'll have to think of a permanent solution, I'll start the research by looking at some of the RV forums. Since we've both had the same problem, there has to be others that have had it and figured out how to repair it.

    In the mean time, enjoy your new home, looks like you've picked a winner! ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Home for the Summer: About danged time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a great site. I hope this is the beginning of a long, relaxing, enjoyable summer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So glad you got there safe and sound!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like it is going to be a nice summer spot. Glad you finally got there safely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You sure have a beautiful spot to spend your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank goodness you made it safely and it sounds like your site was worth the wait. I'm so happy you're comfortably settled for the summer. If they took that much effort to make the volunteer sites so nice, they will probably be wonderful to work with and will appreciate you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That site looks gorgeous! Sounds like the birds like the place too! So glad you finally got there and can now focus on fun stuff (like getting to know your new refuge better).

    ReplyDelete
  24. Welcome to your newest temporary home; glad to hear you had an uneventful drive.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad you arrived safe. We'll see you in a week.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks like a very nice place to spend the summer:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yahoo for a safe arrival. Flat Joey might have enjoyed a stay at Flat Lake, don't you think? :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. That was some trip for you. Now you can stay put until fall. Can't wait to see more pictures of this latest assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hooray for calm weather. That looks like a really nice spot.

    ReplyDelete
  30. As we say in the northwoods.............ah, God's country!!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Glad you got there safely. Looking forward to reading about your adventures at this refuge.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Tried a phone posting...sorry to fill up the comments! It decided to do it THREE times...
    I'm in ewe what a beautiful site you landed...what a relief to have finally landed, betting you slept like a baby last night!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Finally!!! Your site looks lovely. Looks like a great spot to call home for a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Welcome home! And a beautiful one at that!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful! I bet it's extremely serene out there. Be sure to take more pictures. I know you're going to enjoy your summer. Be sure to check out www.rv123.com/blog/ for some more nice destinations as well as some RV tips and tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy to see you there safely. Nice place to be for the summer! You will enjoy yourself there and now getting around will be so much better for you. Take care and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Glad to hear that you arrived safely and found fine-camping amenities.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great to hear you made it to your summer home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wonderful! A fun job, a beautiful site, a grand adventure ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  40. That looks like a beautiful site. We'll be very interested to hear about your summer. We applied there for last summer, but they didn't get back with us until after we'd already committed to Colorado. It's on our list for sure...

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a great site...love the views. Glad you arrived with no problem from the awning.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Pelicans, peepers, swans and loons .....I see a lot of beautiful bird pics coming our way!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Have a wonderful Summer...Let's see some wolves while your there, right??

    ReplyDelete
  44. Good for you. Hope you have a blessed, great summer. Looking forward to your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Enjoy the soft water. You will see your hair get shinier each time you wash it, and your skin will be back to silky, the way it's supposed to feel. It isn't great for houseplants, though.

    ReplyDelete
  46. On the first day of Tamarac my true love gave to me, 1 frog a croaking, 2 turtles a swimming, 3 golden finch a peeping. 4 bass fish a splashing, 5 swans a trumpeting, 6 loons a yodeling and Judy a happily rocking at her campsite and Emma at her side. The perfect beginning to a wonderful summer. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  47. HAhaaaa... ditto what Nan said... !

    ReplyDelete
  48. Welcome home. I am looking forward to reading all about your experience there. Your site does look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Good news, finally. Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete