.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Minnesota Nice

Didn’t think I’d have anything worth posting about tonight, but I was wrong.  We had 120 or so fourth graders from Moorhead arrive this morning for four different environmental education presentations.  I was slated to help out at the Water Cycle station.  Local volunteer Craig was doing the presentation to groups of 36 students at a time for 50 minutes each.  Since I’m new here, my assignments have been about helping rather than presenting.  This refuge has a great support system of local volunteers, many of whom are Minnesota certified Master Naturalists.  What a resource for these visiting school districts!  They do a marvelous and exhausting job each day that students visit.  These school groups are busy enough for all of us that there is no time to take pictures.

We got the whole four hour program in just in time before the rains began again.  I decided to give the wildlife drive a go on my way back to the rig even though it was raining.  I’m glad I did.

IMG_2996

The chestnut-sided warblers have arrived.  This fellow was the only thing I got pictures of today.  With dull overcast skies and rain, it didn’t make for many photo opportunities.  Can you see how puffed up he is against the inclement weather?

Once I got back to the rig, there was a break in the rain so Emma was able to spend some time outside.  Soon I heard the rumble of a lawn mower.  What?  Didn’t I just mow this whole area yesterday?  Cody, a staff member that looks like he’s about 14 years old, began to mow the same areas I covered, and looked perplexed as he approached all of my bird feeders in my front yard.  I hopped out so he wouldn’t mow them down and told him I had just mowed this place yesterday.  Apparently he didn’t know anything about that.  It would have seemed obvious to me, but then I’m an old fart and have the time to notice things like 2” grass as opposed to 8” grass.  Uf-dah!

IMG_2998

As I was sitting at my computer around 5:00 this afternoon, I noticed a van pull into Steve’s site next to me with a Wold’s RV sign on its side.  I threw open the window and asked if he was a mobile RV tech.  He was, so I asked him to stop by when he was done.  I figured he was installing a new invertor for Steve.

When he came over, I told him about my awning issues.  He took a look at it, climbed up the ladder to the roof, took out some screws, and re-aligned the awning and arms.  It now closes and locks like it is supposed to.  There is still a problem with the canvas needing to be restrung (?) through the tubing because it has been blown out of whack, but he suggested I call the Wold’s RV service department in Detroit Lakes about having that taken care of.  He felt it could be done here, on site, but that it would take two people to accomplish it.

I thanked him for fixing what he did, and told him I would be sure to call soon.  The charge for all of this?  Zero…Zip… Zilch!  Now that’s Minnesota Nice!!  I’m sure you can imagine what a relief this is for me.  I’m still going to investigate the recall on automatic awnings that a couple of you informed me about before I call Wold’s, but for now at least the awning is secure.

IMG_3000A bit out of focus, but I couldn’t pass up posting this last pic.  That little guy was just singing his heart out… ♫ ♪ ”Joy to the World!… Joy to boys and girls… Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea… Joy to you and me!” ♪ ♫

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy 

20 comments:

  1. very nice to get that awning situation under control and the price sure was right. but want to thank you for your closing ...now that song will b bouncing around in my head all night :-)
    Donna W.
    ps thanks for well wishes, just one of those 24 hr bugs that hit you like a freight train

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me chuckle with your 'Uf-dah'!! You're acclimating to the Northern Minnesota way of life quite well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt sorry for that little fellow all hunched into himself against the rain. But that last little one was letting the world know that everything is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! i could hear that sweet litle bird singing right through my laptop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gotta love those mobile RV guys. . .so glad he was able to get your awning semi fixed. . .and was able to give you hope for a solution. . .good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was really nice of him. It's hard to find nice people sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I just love that last picture of the warbler. Wish you had a video!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not heard of the Master Naturalist program... sounds interesting.... Glad you got your awning fixed... or at least on it's way to being fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that is one very nice gesture. Such a simple fix for such a pain in the ---.

    I can hear your friend singing one of my all time favorite bands...Three Dog Night!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, MacGyver and I danced many times to that song..(yes, he does dance)...Great score on the awning guy..Ya Hey Dere!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the singing warbler. I swear I could almost hear him sing!

    How nice the mobile mechanic fixed the awning for free. It's so much easier than having to haul the rv to some shop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can almost hear him singing, "joy to the world!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is Minnesota nice! I agree with the last comment, you can almost hear that little guy siging.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you got the awning brackets fixed and at such an awesome price! Gives me confidence to know there are still some great techs out there.

    I never heard of an awning needing to be restrung, I'm very interested to see what that is. I do know that awning fabrics can get a little out of whack and not roll evenly up on the tube. That occurs when one side rolls up slightly faster than the other.

    My awning fabric has stretched and the awning opens out too far, so I have to be careful when I open it. It can open too far and then I have to give it a push to get it going to close. I'm wondering if we have the same malady?

    Anyway, I'm singing along with you! :c)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sure is great to have someone stop by and do something for free just out of the goodness of their heart. It sort of restores one's faith a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are having issues with our water pump. Where is a mobil RV Tech when we need one!

    Nice birdie pics as usual and expected too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is great that the mobile tech gave you that service for free. Classy move.

    And there is nothing better than the males warblers on territory, singing their hearts out! Nice pictures.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd say you had a great day. You got through the kids program, got great pictures of the warblers and got your awning looked at for free. WOW! Love that little guy singing his heart out. Terrific shot!

    ReplyDelete