.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Monday, May 6, 2013

A fly in the ointment?

Remember almost two weeks ago when I finally got the Flat Joey letter mailed off to my grandson’s first grade teacher?  Well, today I got a call from my son, Andy, saying that the teacher had sent the cd disk home with Joseph from school today because it was empty and didn’t have anything on it!  Uf-dah!  (Can you tell I’m getting ready to return to the land of ‘Uf-dah’?)

What’s up with that?  I even had Billy Thibodeaux check it out on his computer to be sure the two files were on it before I sent it.  Andy tried on his computer and came up with nothing as well.  Thank goodness I posted the whole thing on this blog on April 24.  So, I guided Andy on how to find that particular blog so he could just print it off and send it to school with Joseph tomorrow.  (As with many family members, he seldom reads my blog, and he has less skills than even I do with computers.)  I hope that gets rid of that fly in the ointment.

_MG_2064This morning, I was on the road shortly after 9:00 finally heading out of Arkansas.  After about 160 miles, I pulled into The Big Red Barn RV Park in Carthage, Missouri.  Have you ever noticed how many states begin with an M?  I’m never sure what the two letter abbreviations are for the ‘M’ states. Confused smile

_MG_2065

Before I made my reservation for this park, I checked it out on the RV Park Reviews website.  Several people had rated this park with a ten.  Personally, I wouldn’t go that far, but the site is a nice long pull-through, there’s easy access off of I-44, and they gave me two tasty home made chocolate chip cookies upon my arrival.  The office worker also led me to my site in a golf cart.  I always appreciate that.  It’s also a Passport America Park, so the bill for two nights with full 50 amp hookups was $35.   That also includes digital cable with a ton of stations. 

I do want to let those of you that commented about the windshield wiper thing know that I sent an email off to Thibodeaux’s the day it happened.  Haven’t heard anything back from them however. 

Tomorrow, I plan to visit some sights in Carthage that may not be on everyone’s list of things to see.  I often check the Roadside America website when I stop somewhere for a bit, and that’s what I used for tomorrow’s itinerary.  We’ll see how it pans out.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

23 comments:

  1. We stayed there a couple of years ago and thought it was a great park for a few days. We visited the Precious Moments museum. Kind of hokey, but it was free and I'd say worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Judy come on up to Platte City,MO at Bass Wood Rv park and see us..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Roadside America. I use it all the time. I also use http://www.free-attractions.com/

    I am with you on the "M" states. The is MO, MN, MI, MD, ME, MA, MS, and MT...wow!

    Enjoy your stay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uf-dah indeed Judy! Don't get me going on that sort of mysteries happening!
    I thought it was just me getting confused about the 'M-States' not being imprinted at a young age!
    Thanks for the link to the Roadside America website, I've been wondering where you find all these fun places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness you had a "Plan B". Sure wouldn't want Joseph to miss out on all the fun that FJ had with you. That was such a wonderful visit FJ had that it almost made me want to mail myself to you so I could have those neat adventures! ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting the Roadside America web site...being a newbe I did not know about it...I ofened wondered how people found all the neat places to visit..thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch on the disc being empty. I think a printed copy is nicer anyhow.

    I always check RV Park Reviews and amazed at how many have 9's and 10's. Something would have to be really outstanding for me to give such a high number. Then again, I've seen people give a park a low number because it RAINED when they were there. What the......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a nice park for a great price for a couple of days. I'll be interested in what you find from Roadside America. I've never used it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We stayed at the Red Barn a couple of years ago. I agree, it's definitely not a 10, but not bad. I remember we stayed two nights, but can't remember doing anything but laundry. I should have checked out the roadside America website and gone to see Marlin. I think I did see the tire changing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have never used Roadside America either...will be checking it out too! Thanks!
    I love the trees around your home and the pretty green grass! Bet Emma has a roll in it before you leave!

    Enjoy tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking forward to what is there from roadside America. We use that book and several others along with a few web sites to find offbeat things to see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Roadside America is right up my line of things I want to do! Really. I looked at a few states and Pined the URL. We will be checking it out on future trips. I had never heard of it before. Thanks for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm surprised they repair place hasn't contacted you about this. After all the wonderful things you said about them and what a wonderful job they did. Oh well guess no one is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That Roadside America is a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Coachlight RV is one exit south of you if you need anything (wiper?). They've done work for me in the past with no issues.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Surprise you have haven't heard from Thibodeaux’s ... you're such a good customer's of theirs. A print out of the post is good, but I wonder if they have access to laptop at school ... then you could give the teacher the link to the blog post .. think how impressed Flat Joey's friends would be that grandma writes on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought that might be where you were headed. We stayed there n November for one night. It was nice, but didn't live up to the hype for us. I thought the cookies and dog treats were a nice touch though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I certainly hope they figure out the Flat Stanly problem solved. I love Roadside America.... You certainly can find the odd and quirky and many things that just aren't on the radar of regular tourist attractions. Talk about the local flavor!! Happy journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We stayed at the Big Red Barn. The people are very nice but the neighbors have some mean dogs and they chased Grace- please keep Emma on a short leash.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Since the computer that couldn't find the file was the Teacher's at the school, I'm thinking it was most likely an Apple computer - most schools use Apples. And, being an Apple, it couldn't read 'oranges'. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Still about 4 days behind reading blogs but we jumped ahead to find out where you were on your trek to Minnesota. We are in Kellogg IA about 40 miles east of Des Moines until Friday and then in Clear Lake IA near Mason City for a week. Maybe our paths will cross, would sure like for that to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope Flat Joey gets "pumped up" for your grandson..Your spot does look nice though....and warmer. Hope you soon hear from the RV windshield washer debacle...keep after 'em!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm a big fan of Roadside America. I always check their site when I'm in an area. Sometimes I even read random stuff on their site and then head to an area to see something especially quirky.

    I hope they got the Flat Joey thing figured out. I thought that was so cool, I would hate to see all your efforts and creativity get lost.

    ReplyDelete