.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Fresh strawberries

This afternoon, Emma and I hopped in the car and headed out to investigate Willow Slough Fish and Wildlife Area.

62 Pioneer Campground, IN summer, 20112

It’s about twenty miles from here, and is another great place if you are interested in fishing.  There is a 30 site campground near headquarters and Watson Lake.  No hookups, but a great place to camp if you have a boat and want to fish the 1200 acre lake.  The cost is $12/night.  People were beginning to wander in and set up for the weekend this afternoon. 

 

The resident Canada geese set up a fuss as Emma and I walked along the lake.  Since they’re only birds, she totally ignored them.  She’s really a small mammal hunter at heart.  That’s what makes me think she has some terrier in her heritage.  Certainly, no lab there at all.

 

As we wandered the back roads of the county, I came upon a fruit and vegetable stand in a restaurant parking lot.  They were advertising strawberries, so I stopped.  They were about to pack up for the day, but am I glad I stopped.  I bought a couple pounds of the most sweet, delicious strawberries I’ve had since I grew my own many years ago.  They were fresh picked this morning, and I had a hard time stopping at a dozen strawberries consumed!  I also picked up a couple of Vidalia onions and a bunch of fresh asparagus.  I just love these little vegetable stands.  I can’t wait for tomato season.  Then I’ll truly be in 7th heaven.  I was going to try growing my own tomatoes this summer, but I don’t have a patch of sunny enough ground at my site.

_MG_2064 _MG_2065

When we returned, you know who was having a feast of his own at my expense!  I did my usual hollering routine, and he took off.  I’ve also noticed that my hummingbird feeder is covered with big black ants.  It was empty, so I refilled it and hung it from a rope rather than on the stand I normally use.  I’m hoping the ants won’t find it for a few weeks, and if they do, I’ll just move it again.  I need these little challenges to keep life interesting.  Smile

 

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

24 comments:

  1. That makes me think about the strawberries we bought at a small stand in Oregon. They were by far the best I've ever had. Now I want some strawberries and I can guarantee you there aren't any out here where we are. You and Al and the Squirrel Wars. Must be the makings of a movie in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love fresh strawberries! Our tomatoes are already coming in and they are so good. Just love a tomato sandwich!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. We've been eating local(ish) peaches, and they are delicious.

    Whenever I look at my blog stats, the largest number of visitors consistently come over from here. Thanks for having us on your blog roll!

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. nothing like fresh picked strawberries!!..yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life would be so much less interesting if we had no squirrels! They are the little bad boys we enjoy matching wits with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does your pesky squirrel remind you at all of any of the unruly students you used to have to discipline? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've been enjoying fresh strawberries with vanilla ice cream for a few weeks now - tough to beat that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The early Strawberries here in northern NY are plump juicy this year. While they look great, the berries have not been as sweet as we are accustomed too. My guess is that our overabundance of spring rains is the culprit.

    John
    relaxedrush.blogspot.com
    connectedtothevinephotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. We didn't have strawberry's but Yes we did have a Sandwich, in Sandwich. We went to the train car restaurant The Bull Moose, a restored old pullman Palace car with beautiful clerestory windows and 1900 era fittings still in place. Sam & Dennis had a cheeseburger that was huge, juicy or greasy, just great.Were having a ball. Rigg's made us so proud of him, he performed his tricks and won Dennis & Donna's hearts right away, sometimes he is so well behaved you have to look twice to see if you brought the right dog with you, Have a great time and we will see ya down the road someday.. Sam & Donna...

    ReplyDelete
  10. When strawberries are in season I like to put them in my morning shakes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The strawberries sounded so good... And feeding the birds is definately a challange between squirrels, ants and I have had bees in the hummingbird feeder....
    Have fun & Travel safe
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Judy, there is a product that comes in a tube, called Tanglefoot - a sticky substance you can squeeze out. Put a ring of it on each side of the hummingbird feeder, on the rope that you used to hang it - ants can't get passed it. It is usually used to keep ants out of fruit trees (a ring around the trunk). Very sticky stuff, and long lasting (rain won't wash it off easily) - which is why you don't want to use it on anything you move too often (like the hose into your rig, or your electric cord, for instance).

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE strawberries! At a CG last fall, squirrels poked holes in our water hoses:(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Let me know if you win the squirrel battle...We've been fighting that here for years. and, yes, there is NOTHING like fresh berries of any kind..You can make a strawberry fruit pizza!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the idea of visiting road side fruit stands. I went to Tom's Farm the other day. Forty years ago it was just a road side stand. I was shocked to find that it now includes two restaurants, a huge market, a petting zoo and a picnic area. Not disappointed though as we had a great lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The strawberries in Oregon are finally getting ripe. I need to get out to the farm and get some - YUM...I do love my strawberries. Glad you got some sweet juicy ones.

    Loved the squirrel picture. They always manage to find a way!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love fruit and vegie stands. Strawberries are one of our favorites too. Love the picture of the squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love homegrown veggie and fruit stands. I just read in the newspaper we're getting a farmers market every Wednesday, in a town nearby. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great photo for a "MOST WANTED" flyer! Squirrels must be very smart critters - they always seem to win in the end. Quite a challenge to out-wit them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm for the squirrel, I just love them. Squirrels gotta eat to! We recently had some freshly picked strawberries near Park of the Sierras, they were incredible! We very quickly ate two baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We've been eating tomatoes out of the garden for a few weeks and there's nothing better. Sure would like some fresh strawberries too! Love the wildlife refuge!

    ReplyDelete