.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

$75.00 in socks!

I was up fairly early this morning, and headed to Robyn’s house to do my laundry and some other errands.  She had sent me an email asking if I would like to accompany her to Northbrook, IL, to do a follow up appointment for her Life Vest business.  My initial reaction was ugh!  But then I said to myself, “ Self, what else have you got to do today?”  So, I decided to go with her.  I got my laundry started at the Lapko laundromat (Winking smile) and we packed up to take the girls to day care.

62 Pioneer Campground, IN summer, 20116-1

While Robyn took the girls in to get settled, I walked around a bit to get these pics in the daycare garden and across the road.  Pretty soon, we were on the road to her assignment.  Any traveling in the Chicago metropolitan area takes time, so it took us about an hour and a half to get to the nursing home in Northbrook.  There was non-stop chatter in the car as we drove, and I figured out that I was really enjoying this time with my only daughter.  She was a good listening partner for my ramblings, and I think I did the same for her.  It brought to my mind that old saying: “ A son’s a son until he takes a wife.  A daughter’s a daughter for the rest of your life.”  I’m sure glad I had a daughter!  Smile

IMG_2162

After she finished her business, we headed to a nearby Navy Commissary.  You can tell it’s a military establishment by how the hours are posted.  I was never in the military, but I’ve raised three children that have served their country, so I didn’t feel especially guilty taking advantage of shopping at the PX for one time in my life.  Of course, Robyn had to pay for everything that we purchased.  You can’t beat that kind of deal!  Thumbs up

IMG_2165

Does this look like $75.00 in socks?  That may seem to be a lot of money to pay for socks, but let me tell you… if my feet aren’t happy, I’m not happy!  What with arthritis, flat feet, and advancing age, my feet are worth it to me to keep me moving.  I’ve been in need of new socks for some time, and I think because soldiers have to take care of their feet, there is the best selection of good socks at the Commissary that I’ve ever seen.

IMG_2168

Of course, once I got home I had to figure out how much I owed my daughter for the socks and the groceries that I purchased today.  As you can see, I was using my senior citizen sized calculator to figure out my portion of the bill.  Smile  I have to admit that it took me a half an hour to get it all figured out.  That was a little frustrating for a former math teacher…

 

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

23 comments:

  1. That was not too much for all those socks. When I knit socks they usually cost about $ 15.00 in wool so you got away pretty good. Your feet will thank you ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are those Thorlos? You did good! I bought 2 pair of their hiking socks back in 2004 - I remember because I was in CA at the time - and they are still going strong after all these years of regular wear.

    I think they were about $14 or $16 back then and I balked a little at the pricetag - turns out they are the best socks I've ever owned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It appears you struck gold today! I agree....if my feet are happy so am I!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've inspired me to care more about my socks--anything that will help my feet feel better would be a good investment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you have 'happy feet!" Aren't daughters wonderful? Especially after they have grown up and not under your roof. I am glad you had such a good mother/daughter time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have a daughter & I agree 100% -- there's just something special about those dgts. I'm going to have to check out those socks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. chuckle! When I read the subject line, I wondered it if was that you bought $75 worth of socks or if you found $75 hidden in socks. Neither is a bad thing .... happy feet or happy wallet!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You win! That's gotta be the world's largest calculator!
    Happy Feet!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree about happy feet. I have a hard time finding shoes that I feel good about. I have a brand of sports shoes that I like and wear all of the time. I hate to get dressed up though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am with you ..if your feet aren't happy neither are you!..on my feet all day so by the time I get home..'these dogs are barking'!..I need to find a deal on socks like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Comfy feet are important. I am partial to Bare Foot socks made in the USA and are very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would so love to be able to wear a pair of shoes that required socks. But with the screws in my ankle I can only wear a pair of sandals with an elastic strap across the back. Those socks look wonderful and worth every penny you spent on them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Judy, I agree-the best socks I have ever had are my "gubmint" socks that I get with my NPS uniform allowance. Brown wool, comfortable in any weather. I buy news ones every year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am very particular about my socks too. I only wear a double running sock called Cool Max I think. I can't stand a seam touching me so I wear them inside out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for reminding me, I need to make a trip to a sock store and get some for myself. I hope I get away with spending far less than $75 though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still wear my Smartwools and Thorlo socks that I backpacked in years ago, but they are too heavy for CA summers. My favorite combo is Smartwool socks and Teva sandals!

    I left CA the middle of May and really miss being able to visit with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too love those Thorlo socks and I really like my Smartwools, but $15 a pair is a little steep--you got a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The only problem with Thorlos socks is that once you wear thenm you will never want to wear anything else. Thorlos has a sale twice a year in which you buy 2 or 3 (I forget whcih) and then you get one pair free. They even have black and blue socks for dress. The same is true for Mephisto shoes (made in France) at over $300 a pair they seem extravagant, but at what cut off price point do you decide to put up with foot pain. With Thorlos socks and Mephisto shoes my feet are happy campers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Speaking as one who has had to pamper her feet lately, good socks are just as important as good shoes...Looks like you SCORED !!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loving reading about your current life with the family. Special times, methinks.
    I too am having a special time here in La Palma with my daughter on an extended stay.
    She has admired your lovely photos by the way Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the flower pictures. After reading the rest of your comments, it appears you did good with the socks. Nothing like daughters!! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wore Thorlo socks until I discovered Tilley 'Walking' Socks: http://www.tilley.com/Tilley-Walking-Socks.aspx. Now the Tilley socks are all I wear and I wear them year around since they keep my feet comfortable even when wet. I've tested their three year guarantee several times, too, and they always sent me replacement socks. Now I have enough of them, plus I got stopped wearing the shoes that were killing them, that I don't have to replace them within three years anymore. I love everything we've ever bought from Tilley.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope the size of your bill wasn't proportionate to the size of your calculator.

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete