.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

They're back!

The golden-cheeked warblers have returned!  I had a fantastic hike on the Cactus Rock Trail this morning, and was able to verify eight male warblers singing in the Ashe juniper woods along the trail.  With all the cold wet weather we've been having, I was beginning to wonder if they'd ever get here.  A week and a half ago, I couldn't even find a titmouse along the trail, but today, bird life was plentiful.  That made it easier to work in the office this afternoon.  ;)  I was the laminating queen once again.

When I got back to the rig, I put Emma outside and then went about getting some pictures of advancing spring in the hill country.  I hope you enjoy the eye candy.  :)


As you know, birds are my thing, but I enjoy seeing the spring flowers even though I don't know what they are.

These yellow blooms are less than a half inch across.

The blues are my favorite colors.

The hillsides are covered with these blooms.  It must be from all the rain and the warmer temperatures.  I'm sure hoping the blue bonnets will be abundant soon.

These yellow blossoms will produce small berries on this shrub.  I've been told they make excellent jam, but it is a lot of work to collect enough berries to be useful.  Of course, the birds like them too.  Notice the leaves on this shrub.  Those points are as nasty as can be.  They're so sharp, that they stick into  the bottom of your shoe and draw blood like a cactus if you're not careful!  Lot's of plants that will get you in Texas.  :(


You know I can't refrain from getting a few bird pictures on a nice sunny day!  This is a pine siskin....
and here's an American goldfinch,

and a lesser goldfinch.

This is not a great picture, but I just love the way this male Carolina wren sings his heart out everyday from the top of this dead tree.


And my favorite for today, a small flock of cedar waxwings.  There have been quite a few flocks moving through the neighborhood lately. They are so sleek looking, and normally travel in a group.  In this case they're sitting next to a cedar tree, not in one.  ;)

Tomorrow I plan to do the full hike at Doeskin, and hope to discover more golden-cheeks.  It's a rough job, but somebody has to do it.  ;)

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later,  Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment