.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Looking for the endangered one

Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge was established in 1992 to protect and provide habitat for two endangered bird species.  I headed out this morning hoping to find the first golden cheeked warbler of the season.

Chuck, the refuge biologist, and I have a friendly contest to see who can spot the first golden cheeked warbler of the year.  They spend the winter in Mexico and should be arriving any day now.

As I started hiking the cactus rock trail, I had high hopes.  This is a 1.8 mile hike along the crest of one of the hills that has mature Ashe juniper trees clinging along the slope.  This is the favored habitat of the golden cheek.

Half way along the trail, I stopped to enjoy the view of the Texas Hill Country.

At the fork in the trail, I headed to the right since I wasn't having much luck with birds.  Actually, I got skunked!  I didn't see or hear one bird on the hike other than two turkey vultures.

When I got back to the car, I drove a mile further up the road to the Sunset Deck.

The Sunset Deck is located at the top of the hill, and

offers a fantastic view of the area.

That's Lake Travis in the distance with a fire going on to the left.

Spring is beginning to pop up around the cactus.

So, I didn't find any warblers today, but neither did Chuck.  Tomorrow's another day, and the winds are continuing from the south so I'm hopeful. :)

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later,  Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment