.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Monday, January 11, 2010

A convenient fix for a worry

As you know, we have been having quite a cold snap here in Texas.  My biggest worry has been that I might run out of propane this past weekend.  I'm happy to report that I did not run out.  Last week, on the Escapees Forum, I asked for suggestions of a way to supplement my propane tank.  I received several responses that recommended a kit that can be installed on my tank so I can tap into an outside source of propane.

So, today I headed for Channelview Supply, about 60 miles from here, to pick up the needed kit.  Channelview Supply turned out to be similar to a Camping World store.  They had the Extend-A-Stay kit ($83.95)  I needed in stock, and assured me I wouldn't need any additional parts for installation.  While I was there, I decided to walk around and see if there was anything else in the store that I couldn't live without.  :)  Being in a store specializing in RV products is much more exciting to me than all those other kinds of shopping that most women enjoy.  My friend Susan's favorite place is Fleet Farm in Rochester, MN.  What's your favorite place to shop?

I did find a water filter cartridge for a cheaper price than Camping World, and a set of rugs for my hallway, steps, and bathroom.  I've had my present set for five years and the rubber backing has disintegrated over time.  I tried to order them on-line from Camping World, but apparently they don't carry them anymore.  So now I'm set for the next five years.  Today's little excursion put more than a $200 hole in my pocketbook, but everything was needed.  I felt very happy with myself as I left the store.

After stopping for groceries, I headed back to the rig to get busy installing the kit.  That's when my elevated mood began to sink.  As I looked at the directions, with pictures, and then at my on-board propane tank, there didn't appear to be enough room to install the fitting.  I also didn't have the kind of wrenches necessary for installation.  Hmmm, what's a girl to do? 


I put the word out via cell phone that I was having trouble with the installation, and in very short order Nathan and Chuck showed up. 
                            
In less than a half hour, these two refuge staff members had remedied the problem and finished the installation.  So now I can relax and have all the heat I want!  The staff here at Anahuac NWR really makes an outstanding effort to support their volunteers.  The fire crew members staying at the RV pads take the tanks in every week to get refilled.  I feel like I'm sitting on easy street right now.  And to top it all off, I haven't had a mouse in the rig in three days!  Color me HAPPY!!!

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later,  Judy

1 comment:

  1. What? They come and get your tanks to fill? You are on easy street, girl! I find the maintenance folks here are really special, as they were last year at Lassen.

    Glad you got rid of the mice.

    ReplyDelete