.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Saturday, January 2, 2010

A busy day at the VIS

Thank goodness the number of folks stopping at the VIS (Visitor's Information Station) is on the rise. It can be very boring to sit in that shed for eight hours with few if any visitors. There was a steady drizzle of folks stopping in to register and get a map today. Most of them came for the first time, although there are those intrepid birders that are more or less regulars. It was busy enough that I ran out of refuge maps. I looked in every nook and cranny, but couldn't find any. When I zipped home for lunch, and to take Emma out, I searched the community building, but only came up with a handful of maps. By three o'clock I ran out of those too.

The visitors were all very pleasant today, and I really enjoyed talking with them. Quite a few even came back to report what they had seen. That really helps since we post sightings on a white board so people can check out what's around. This list includes birds as well as mammals and reptiles. I think the posting gives people a more personal connection to the refuge, and that's what we're here for. National Wildlife Refuges need all the support they can get.


I stepped outside for a little bit this morning to get a picture of the flocks of Snow Geese passing overhead. They do move around the refuge in the morning to find the best feeding areas. This morning's movement couldn't compare with the cloud of 8000 I saw last Sunday, but I always enjoy hearing and seeing geese as they fly in those energy saving Vees.

I kept my eye peeled out the one little window for my vibrantly colored little avian friend..


and I wasn't disappointed! He surely perks up my day. I'm still not satisfied with the picture, so I'll keep trying. Most folks get pretty excited when I tell them we have a Vermilion Flycatcher around, and this little dude has been very cooperatively making an appearance for his admiring fans when I point out the window. ;) One lady today asked if I paid him to show up on cue!

I'll probably be doing boring indoor paperwork tomorrow after a quick trip to the grocery store. Of course, if the weather turns out to be sunny, I just may put off that paperwork and do another bird survey instead. Why stay inside when you can get out to enjoy the wildlife???

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you late, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment