.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Orientation

After breakfast and a mile walk for Emma, I walked down the hill to the refuge office for a morning orientation. I decided to walk since I was hoping to be assigned a vehicle for use during my work. It was a good decision. At the end of the three hour orientation, I was assigned a van. I headed back up the hill to take Emma out and have lunch.





After lunch, I met with Chuck, the refuge biologist, and we discussed possibilities for my time here. It looks like I may be doing some bird surveys and tours mixed in with inventorying the school education program supplies and various other projects. Doing trail maintenance is one of the chores I think I will especially enjoy. There's nothing like being outdoors to see and hear all that nature has to offer.




After gassing up the van, I headed back to camp to do some further set up and to enjoy my rocker. Three Red-tailed Hawks put on a display while catching the thermals and playing in the wind. Temps had risen to the low seventies under sunny skies and it was a beautiful day to be outdoors. Emma and I did some more exploring of the rustic vehicle paths on top of the hill and I threw an Italian sweet sausage on the grill for dinner.




It's that time of the year for the Westminster Dog Show, but I haven't been able to find it yet on the TV guide. I hope I don't miss it this year; I've watched this show for over twenty years. Maybe Emma will see how well these show dogs behave. ;)



Tomorrow I will do further exploring of the refuge and take the van into town for an oil change.

No comments:

Post a Comment