.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, June 12, 2014

You really like doing that?

Bridgett and I, the Intrepid Trail Checkers, were back at it yesterday morning.  It was overcast, and the forecast was for showers and thunderstorms, but like the Post Office nothing can keep us from our appointed rounds.  LOL.

IMG_7619

We were also tasked with checking the two pit toilet areas on the refuge to check on toilet paper needs.  No cleaning involved, so that was easy.  At the Pine Lake parking area we came upon this nice family of trumpeter swans out for a stroll.  Notice how they’re almost all in step… left, right, left right…  Dad doesn’t seem to be listening to the cadence. Smile

Our first trail was to West Rice Lake.  The trail goes in about a mile or so, and looked pretty clear.  We even chased up a couple of deer.

_MG_0199

           That is until we had just about reached the turning around area.  Lots of big downed trees here.

_MG_0208

This was certainly not anything we could muster off the road, and we also couldn’t drive the truck under it to turn around.  I had a lot of practice with my backing up skills to get out of there.

IMG_7658

We did a couple of other trails, and on one of them two families of Canada geese slowly walked along in front of us.  I didn’t think they were ever going to get off of the road so we could pass them by.  I’m not sure what they were doing on this trail in the middle of the woods.  Finally, four of the young ones headed off and their parents followed.

IMG_7632

This big old snapping turtle was wandering too.  Bridgett got out of the truck to get a picture, and it was kind of comical to watch as this guy/gal turned around to keep her always in sight and reared up its hind end.  Since it wasn’t in the middle of the road, I wasn’t about to try to pick this one up and move it.  Don’t need my fingers ‘snapped’!

A pretty wild storm blasted through overnight with heavy winds from the north.  It was overcast and in the 40’s as I got ready for the tour I was supposed to give this morning.  I’ll be doing that every other Thursday through August.  Well, nobody showed up for the tour, and I was not surprised.  It was pretty cold and dismal outside. 

I chatted with Tom, one of the brown shirts, and in our conversation I mentioned how I enjoyed checking the trails.  He was astounded and remarked, “You really like doing that?”  I told him it was about the favorite thing that I do this year.  It sure beats sitting in the visitors center when there are few if any visitors, and affords the best opportunities to see the wildlife.   I’m thinking Bridgett feels the same way.

Then I met with Wayne, the biologist, about the trails we had checked and reported where the downed trees were.  He seemed a little hesitant to tell me that because of the storm last night, some of the trails may need rechecking.  Oh my, what a burden to hear that!  You know, it’s rough work, but somebody has to it.  Ha Ha!

IMG_7627

                                                                                THE END!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

22 comments:

  1. I would love to check trails too! My job involves way too much sitting around dealing with public...someday maybe I can do something like what you're doing. Volunteering for a nature preserve would be very nice, though I know there's lots of it that entail a whole lot of work. Still....it's a nice dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love doing the trails too. You always see such wonderful things and all the babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful sight of the swans. Nice to look them having a walk.
    Cute little goose!
    Turtle got frightened in seeing you taking photo, so it was about to go inside his shell!
    You are a brave lady to make trails!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How old do you think that turtle is? Sure is ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo of the swans. I would prefer checking the trails too. Maybe that will become your new job...after you get done mowing, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From the looks of the trails, they are just right for me to check them while riding my bicycle. That would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That snapping turtle looked positively prehistoric!! He was bigger than Bridget ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are getting out on the trails. Those swans are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And this is considered work? Clearing might not be quite so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would prefer the trails also. . .glad you posted that you are giving your talks every other Thursday. . .that wasn't really clear to me when I checked the Preserve's Website. . .thinking we will be there in August. . .look forward to one of your tours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and I would do well together - I'd take care of the VC and you could have the trails. Glad you get to recheck them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would take trails too! Your pictures sure show the joys of your efforts. I love the babies! And what an added bonus you have with Bridgett who also shares the excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You make trail checking look like a job everyone would want. Wonder what's the problem? Great pictures from you trail checks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos as usual, those swans were sooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Clearing up trash of any kind is a necessary job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is wonderful how we all like doing different things. I would enjoy working in the Visitor Center, and Paul would love to be out on the trail with you. Takes all kinds to make this world work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is there a safe way to pick up any turtle?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I too would much prefer trail checking to VC work. They are lucky to have a couple of willing "trail checkers" to help out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd take the trails over the V/C as well - any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Definitely have to keep body parts away from that turtle:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. ohhhhh Ruffled Grouse chicks…. and baby Trumpeter Swans and Canadian geese… aw man? checking on pit toilet TT needs? aw man…

    beautiful place …. even that old turtle's cute...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Don't act too eager to do trails. They might decide to make you do real work in the VC. :)

    ReplyDelete