.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Friday, June 6, 2014

Happy Birth Day

I had the last two days off from work.  Wednesday was a gorgeous day, but I had errands to do and I had to catch up on the laundry from over the weekend when the water was brown.  My plans were to do something more pleasant on Thursday, but the rains returned and cancelled that idea.  It was an excellent time to brew up a big pot of homemade chicken noodle soup however.  It was quite tasty, and I’ve now got three more meals waiting in the freezer.

This morning I had to work the visitors center, but only for four hours.  Thank goodness.  With only six visitors, it gets kind of boring.  I was more than happy to see Lois, a local volunteer, arrive to relieve me.  There was some breaking news on the refuge, and I took a short drive over to see the event.

IMG_7557

We’ve all been watching a pair of trumpeter swans for the last month nesting on the edge of a small bay off of Flat Lake.  The nest was visible in the distance from the bank of windows in the VC.  The pair of swans seemed rather agitated this morning, and with good reason.  See that little pile of white fluff between the mother’s legs?

IMG_7516

By noon, four signets (baby swans) had hatched!  The young of swans, ducks, and geese are termed precocial.  That means that upon hatching they’re covered in downy feathering, and not naked like baby robins, for instance.  It also means that soon after hatching, they are able get up and walk around and their eyes are fully open.

IMG_7528

                                  Mom spent her time between checking on them and shielding them…

IMG_7531

… and standing guard over them.  Dad was also vigilant in the near area.  They both chased off another pair of swans that had the audacity to land too near to the nest.

Four to six eggs are normally laid, so it’s hard to tell if this is the full brood or one or two more may hatch.  The youngsters will hang around the nest for about 24 hours, and then they’ll be off with mom and dad after they get their ‘sea’ legs.  Winking smile  Happy birth day little trumpeters!  I hope you all survive to serenade me with the ‘William Tell Overture’ or  Sousa’s ‘Stars and Stripes Forever’!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

20 comments:

  1. How nice of the mom to give you peek at her babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babies are always a delight unless they are baby mosquitoes or ticks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool is that--I enlarged the photo and you can definitely see the "white fluff"--thanks Judy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's exciting, Judy. My daughter-in-law has been watching and waiting via camera for Eagle(s)to be born. She really gets into it. A few years ago she had me watching a pair of baby eagles from birth. Unfortunately, they didn't survive.

    I've seen them while camping in south Georgia. In fact, they had a portion of Reed Bingham State Park off limits because there were Eagles about to hatch. Happy Birthday, indeed, to your baby swans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Baby Trumpeter Swans. What an exciting event.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet! Looks like they had a fairly sunny day to dry and fluff up?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an exciting "blessed event"! Don't know what the survival rate is, but I sure hope they make it to adult-hood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sort of makes all your hard work worth it all, doesn't it? I'm impressed that right after birth they open their eyes and can walk around. I can't even do that in the morning... ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well there you are again right on top of the cool happenings. Hope you get to hear them all chatting away. Happy Birth Day is right! Hope they all survive to a ripe old age.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sure wish I could be there! That is so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm hoping to see more pictures of the fluff balls. That is an exciting event.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cute. I hope they all live to grow up and have babies of their own.

    ReplyDelete