.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Petco vs. PetMeds.com; lessons learned

Ever since Emma came to live with me six and a half years ago, I have kept her on a constant monthly regimen of heart worm medication and Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks.  The results have been very good… no heartworms and no fleas or ticks.  As you know, I’ve spent the last two summers in tick infested areas.  Made me wish I could use that medication on myself.

_MG_0220

An example of a fallen tree that Bridgett and I can’t manhandle off of the trails we are checking.  The rest of tonight’s pics are from our trail checking journey this morning.

I douse Emma with Frontline Plus on the first of each month, and I used up the last treatment about two weeks ago.  Time to get a new supply.  While I was in Fargo yesterday, a Petco store was located in the same mall where my sponge candy store is so I stopped in.  The stuff isn’t cheap, so it is kept behind the counter at checkout.  I asked for a six month supply for a dog under 40 pounds.

IMG_7721

Spotted a big nest about 40’ up in a tree in a stand of pines.  I had found this nest last year, but nothing was ever in it.

The young girl stuffed the two boxes in a bag and said, “That will be $148.33.”  I know Frontline is expensive, but it seemed to me the price had gone up.  I paid the bill and went on my way.  I finished the rest of my stops in Fargo and headed home, but that price kept nagging at me.

IMG_7708

This year a pair of ravens are using the nest.  They were both present, but quiet as church mice.  Don’t know if the eggs were hatching or what.  Ravens can be very boisterous and loud.

When I got home, I opened the bag and both boxes were for dogs in the 45-88 lb. range.  Grrr.  That could have knocked Emma for a loop, and the larger the dog the more expensive the medication is.  Kind of ticked me off since it’s a 150 mile round trip for me to shop in Fargo.  I only go there about once a month.

_MG_0224

Bridgett noticed this large deadfall swinging above our heads today on one of the trails.  It was hooked into one of the huge maple trees in the area and swinging like the pendulum on an old grandfathers clock in the stiff breeze.

So, I decided to check out PetMeds.com to see what their price would be on the same meds.  It turned out that I could get a full year’s supply for dogs under 40 lbs. for $141!  Twice as much medication for less than half the price.  You can bet that I decided to order a 12 month supply.  I called Petco, explained their screw up, and was assured I could get a refund for my purchase next month when I returned it as long as I had the receipt.

_MG_0225

Can you believe that I got Bridgett to (almost) stand directly under this giants’ hanging swing to give you an idea of how large it is?  She’s no dummy.  Winking smile  I’m sure it will come crashing down in the not too distant future.

Seemed like my problem was solved, right?  Not so.  I got an email from PetMeds that said I had to call them ASAP.  Turns out with first time buyers, you can’t have things delivered to a location other than your billing address.  I tried to explain that I was an RV full-timer that traveled around the country, etc., etc., etc.  It didn’t do any good, so now the Frontline is being sent to Sioux Falls, and then I’ll have to pay the postage to have it sent here to Minnesota.  Dumb! 

IMG_7722
Blue Flag Iris
Blue Flag Iris

I got an email from PetMeds this morning asking me to rate my experience with the customer service person I spoke to yesterday.  I responded with a complaint about not being able to have the product sent to my location, but I doubt I’ll get any response about that.  They’ve got my money for Pete’s sake, so why does it matter where it’s sent?  It’s not a prescription medication after all.

My lessons learned?  Don’t buy flea and tick meds from Petco… way over priced!  And next time I’ll be able to have the stuff sent to my location (other than Sioux Falls) since I’ll be a customer in good standing (?).

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

 

25 comments:

  1. Please remind me next year and I'll get you a year's supply at Costco, at much lower prices. I'm going there tomorrow and will check the price and let you know. Maybe I can deliver next year's meds to you at Tamarac!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy Frontline Plus from my vet as well as Heart Guard. I hear your pain regarding price. Jack is in the largest weight range. When I had Lizzie, it cost an arm and a leg for sure. I've always been afraid to buy anywhere but from my vet. It's too bad you can't exchange the product in Fargo and file a grievance with your credit card company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridget would have gotten quite a bump on the noggin if that thing had decided to let go before you were finished taking her picture! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I buy from PetMeds and have for years so I don't remember that problem of not shipping wherever I am. Now they send it to me wherever and whenever. My vet charges almost the same price as PetMed for the heartworm medication so I usually buys a years supply for both girls when they get their annual check up. Sure glad they aren't big dogs or I'd really be broke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In this day and age customer service.....isn't!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had all the same problems, so I decided to try the service at the Walmart Pharmacy and it has worked well, and I can order refills online and have it mailed to me, no matter where I am. I wonder if any of you are using Walmart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know they have vet prescriptions as well. I didn't even think to check :-).

      Delete
  7. I've now been buying Frontline from Amazon. A bit cheaper than PetMed and none of the shipping hassles. I've also discovered that Millie's various dog foods are all sold on Amazon as well. MUCH easier to have the UPS man haul those heavy bags and boxes and deliver them tax-free, than me having to drive to multiple different stores and pay more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered from Amazon last two weeks ago, but the flea meds arrived with a blacked out date! I'm awaiting word on the return information right now. I should have realized when I ordered the medication that the price indicated it might be chancy to use.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like they might have multiple sellers. I've never had any problems dealing with Amazon directly. Mine had valid dates and packaging, but good to know that there could be shady sellers out there.

      Delete
  8. We use Vector on Chance, buy six months and get three months free at the Vets office. We like it better than Frontline..less ticks:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a run around. So sorry about the address thing. Makes no sense to me. Guess in this way I'm lucky I don't have pets to worry about anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I spend a few hours online comparing Frontline prices, such a huge difference. Well worth the time spent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I second what Lynne said about Amazon. We have Doris' food shipped. So much easier (and a little less expensive) than driving to the vet, loading, and unloading. The UPS guy and Doris are big friends!

    We use Trifexis - combined flea, tick, and heartworm prevention. Not that it's cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Costco sell Flea Meds, too, and very inexpensively. Frontline, I think. What I do is (even though it's cheap, I'm cheaper!), I buy the size for a dog twice her size, then give her half each month. It is a really good deal that way. I'd never buy it at a pet store, waaaaay too expensive! Ridiculously expensive, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah the ways of modern corporate America! Annoying to say the least. I get mine at Fleet Farm in Rochester, MN.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We recently brought some permethrin (sp) to spray on some clothing after DH lyme's bulls eye last year...just curious if sprayed on an outfit for a pup would defer them or if even safe...just thinking outload when thinking about thundersuits. Sorry so many hoops to jump through...here's my money, just give me the right product now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. No pets... can't relate... but... we did get a bill today for Bill's last appt to check on his cataract progress..... $35..... maybe you should add Emma as a dependent.... get her on Medicare or Blue Cross or Humana or whatever ;-) Seriously... healthcare... whether it be for us or our pets... is WAY overpriced these days!!!! You'd think preventative medicine would cost less.... dream on....

    ReplyDelete
  16. got a giggle out of your comment about wishing you could use Frontline yourself. . .too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have you had to get Emma tested for heart worms before you can get the meds?? We ran into that problem this year for the first time ever.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Judy - this is off subject of your blog today but I couldn't find an email address for you and I have a question. Since you have volunteered at Wildlife Refuges for awhile, I wondered if you have had any experience with Laguna Atascosa? If you would like to respond to me personally here is my email. kdesert1947@gmail.com. Thanks so much * Becki

    ReplyDelete
  19. When we had a dog (and a house) we tried Pet Meds. They wouldn't send the meds until our vet approved them. The vet gave us a hard time because they also sold the same meds and wanted us to buy from them. They finally approved but for just one time. Not as easy as they lead you to believe on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My gosh...that is highway robbery! And how incompetent of that salesgirl. I think I would have a talk with the manager next month.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Public service sure isn't what it use to be..These kids now adays don't even know how to count back change!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry about the fulltiming address problem. On another note we ars becoming more and more impressed with Costco.

    ReplyDelete