.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, June 26, 2014

I surely got my money’s worth today

IMG_7793

Yesterday, Bridget and I spent the morning checking the Egg Lake Trail.  It was another dreary overcast day with occasional sprinkles.  We sure have had enough rain lately to suit my tastes.

_MG_0269 Indian Paintbrush                                Indian Paintbrush

With no sun peeking out, Wednesday was more of a flower day than a dragonfly day.  We found the first Indian Paintbrushes of the year.  They are so bright in color that it’s hard to miss them.  Legend has it that they first appeared where an Indian discarded his brushes after painting a scarlet sunset. 

Canada Anemone

There were also lots of Canada Anemones along this very muddy trail.  I was especially glad that I had a four wheel drive truck so we could sashay through the muck and mire.  The Egg Lake Trail is one of my favorites.  I had hoped to spot another bear along the way, but that didn’t happen.  This trail is in the sanctuary area of the refuge, and public access is denied until September first so that the breeding wildlife remains undisturbed.

_MG_0278

                                                                       Some kind of clover?

We made it all the way through Egg Lake Trail with no large fallen trees stopping us, so it will be good for the up coming loon count.

Have you ever gotten up in the morning and decided that you couldn’t go one more day without a haircut?  Well that’s how I felt this morning.  So, I headed off to Walmart for their $15.50 shampoo and cut deal.  I forgot to bring the coupon I had that would have made it only $9.99.  Sad smile  Sometimes I get a good cut at Walmart, and sometimes there are days like today.  I surely got my money’s worth as the hairdresser must have felt pressed for time.  After waiting over an hour, I was only in the chair about ten minutes, and she didn’t waste any time.  Picture a 50’s Crew Cut if you will.  I swear the longest hairs on my head have to be stretched to measure one inch!  I like short hair, but I’m thinking I may not need another cut until I leave in September.

IMG_0657

On the way home, I checked on the pair of swans and their signets in a pond close to the VC.  Last week there were four babies.  Today, I finally saw two left. 

IMG_0658

They stick pretty close to their mom, and I could only get a picture of one at a time.  I sure hope these two little ones make it.  Nature can be pretty ruthless.  Dad was on guard while mom dipped her head under the water for some tasty greens.  That didn’t stop him from grabbing some greens above ground though.

I’ll be working the next two days in the VC.  One of the first things I’ll do is roll out a chair with a back!  No more stool perching for me.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

21 comments:

  1. Get ya some gel and spike it up!! I do that lots...and you look very "hip"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picturing you in a crew cut reminded of sh-boom

    http://youtu.be/Q9G0-4TWwew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bees in your first picture, the beautiful paint brushes and swans. But could you get rid of the rain by the time we get there? We've had quite enough thank you here in Michigan. And where is the picture of your new do? Or maybe you think it's a don't. Seems like $9.99 would still have been a dollar a minute. Not sure you got your money's worth at all. Should have taken 15 minutes for that and more if you tipped her. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful flowers Judy...the Indian Paintbrush is very showy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get up lots of days feeling I can't go one more day without a haircut. But, most days I find a way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could look at flower photos all day. Yours are gorgeous.

    I went to Walmart once...just once. I keep my hair on the longer side except for that one day I went there. I went home and cried. I'll pay more to get a cut I can live with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't picture you sashaying through muck and mire, you've got too much class. Of course, with that new Marine Corps haircut, maybe that's not too much of a reach... ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like the haircut Dee at Tumbleweed got the other day.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had a few of those haircuts in my day. In fact I had one that was so bad a person asked me what kind of cancer I had. Thank goodness it does grow out but it took several months that time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you are saying. I, too, go to Walmart. Few weeks back we both needed a cut BAD. I told her two times, I have a cowlick on the back of my head, leave some length there. Sure. Now and for the next several weeks, I have the dang thing sticking straight up like Alfalfa in the Our Gang comedies. Judy, you and I just need to grin and bear it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your photos - as always. The swans and their signets are beautiful. Interesting tale about the Indian Paintbrush. No rain here but it's hot hot hot. I'm at my son's house, parked in mostly sun and we're coming into a ten-day prediction of 104-112F. Yikes, I'll have that AC going 24 hours/day and will pay my son for the use!!! Hope it dries up a little for you - you can send some moisture here to California as we're parched!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear. I've had my share of hair don'ts at the salon. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Getting a haircut for Jo on the road is a big challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rainy days make for beautiful flower pics. But I'm tired of rainy days too. Trying to move to a trailer and have an outing planned today and wish for pretty skies and light.I get y haircuts at a chain. One in 10 is OK and at least half are pretty much disasters. But the price is $10 for seniors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "We sure have had enough rain lately to suit my tastes"--think I will try this very nice phrase when I hear the next rancher say, "isn't this rain nice??" Emmi has been in the sink getting her feet cleaned more than she has been out of the sink lately!! Love the Indian paintbrush lore.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep, those bad hair cuts take more than two weeks to look decent.

    Sometimes I really do not like the survival of the fittest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Trifolium pratense (Red Clover) is your ? plant or a close cousin.. Well it must going to be hot if you got that short of a haircut...you might need a new hat. The Paintbrush is beautiful!! Many wildflowers had a good spring:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Got your money's worth? Ah well, you got a no-frills "do." I usually get my money's worth, too, and I get to sleep with my hairdresser! (Jimmy cuts my hair and I trim his. Win-win!) Yeah, you should give your readers a photo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh well, the good thing about hair is it grows back. Those signets are adorable- fingers crossed that they make it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love those fantastic lady slippers! So glad you are having fun :)

    ReplyDelete