.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Monday, June 23, 2014

Did you ever sit on a stool for seven hours?

Well I did on Saturday, and let me tell you that for a person with a bad back that is a killer.  I had to work the VC all day, and one of the brown shirts decided the rolling chair with a back didn’t look professional enough.  Ugh!  I got to the point where I had to lie down on one of the benches for folks to view the bird feeders just to get some relief.  Not the best thing for a visitors center host to be doing when someone arrives…

Anyway, I made sure to go in on Sunday and talk to Janice, the volunteer coordinator, about it.  She agreed that I could roll out the chair with a back on the days I work there, and roll it back at night.  Apparently a stool with a back is being ordered, but who knows when that will arrive.

IMG_7757

We’re finding lots of turtles digging holes and laying their eggs on the refuge.  Sorry to say, most of these nests get dug up and the eggs eaten by raccoons and skunks overnight.  It’s uncanny how they find those nests.  I guess they sniff them out. 

Northern Crescent

It’s also surprising that any turtles actually hatch, but I guess enough do.  At a couple of the destroyed nests there were dozens of Northern Crescent butterflies feasting on the moisture and minerals that were left in the empty eggshells.  It’s that natural circle of life again.

I’ve had the last two days off, and have been busy with various chores.  Yesterday I had to go to town to get some more birdseed.  Those purple finches and goldfinches are really eating up a storm at the Hard Rock Bird Café.

IMG_7763

         Then last evening, Emma brought me a present.  You know she’s always on guard for marauders.

IMG_7760

After ten thousand tries, she finally caught a chipmunk.  Sad smile  I was sorry its life ended.  I suppose if I didn’t feed the birds, this wouldn’t have happened.  Seems everything in life has consequences.

_MG_0250

Today, I had to drive into Detroit Lakes to get my extend-a-stay propane tank filled, and next door was the Lakes Processing store.  I’ve often driven past this place the last two summers, but not being a jerky eater I never stopped in.

_MG_0251

I asked the lady at the propane place about it and she said they had good meat there.  So, I stopped in.  My oldest son, Daniel, and his wife Crystal, will be visiting over the July 4th weekend.   My daughter, Robyn, and two grandgirls, Avery and Phoebe, will be staying with me as well.  That amount of visitors calls for lots of food! 

I was hoping to find some smoked pork chops to use for one meal while they all are here.  There was a very helpful young man inside, and he helped me to choose a smoked pork loin that I can slice for chops, and also recommended the butter garlic chicken bratwurst links.  If they taste as good as they look, I’ll be stopping by here again.  I do like to support local businesses as opposed to the mass marketing of Wal Mart type places.  I’ve got my fingers crossed.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

19 comments:

  1. I can't imagine trying to sit on a stool for that long. I think I would have ended up just standing for part of the time.
    Too bad about the little chipmunk. Now, if it had been one of those wretched gray squirrels, that wouldn't bother me too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....seems like they would have checked with the people who actually have to use the stool....I can't imagine a stool with a back will be all that comfortable either. That would be a make or break issue for some volunteers. Love the butterflies. If Emma "got" the chipmunk, it may not have been doing all that well to begin with, no offence to Emma's hunting abilities of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, on a stool, in the corner with a dunce cap on. That's all I'm sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Emma, bringing you the kill. I suppose she was really proud of herself. Glad you can use a comfy chair when working the visitors center.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The circle of life constantly amazes me when I'm in the field. The more I see it in action, the more amazed I am over Mother Nature's complex creation. And the behavior of non-humans seems to often explain the best and worst of human behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seven hours on a stool is bad for everything :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought this post was going to be about you on a bar stool for 7 hours, and was thinking "You go, girl!" 'm sorry but after having chipmunks (or squirrels) chew stuff under the hood of my truck at Lassen, and chewing all kinds of wires in my Jeep in NC, I have no feelings of sympathy for them. I wouldn't harm one (they run too fast for me to catch them) but I sure don't like them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those butterflies are so pretty... I've always laughed about such gorgeous creatures loving such crappy (literally) stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch nothing worse than a sore back. And finding the right position to lay or sit in comfort. I absolutely loved your photos of our state flower. They don't grow here in the banana belt but I get to see them at the Minnesota Arboretum near Chaska....:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have refused to use the stool...and used the chair with a back. They should be bending over backwards making the volunteers comfortable. Sounds like The VC is torture for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We also love to support the local merchants. Big box stores just do not have the quality. I would guess that the chipmunk was old and slow or sick for Emma to catch it. Those critters are normally speedy little critters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been through that same thing at jobs, where pain is not considered by bosses. I've had to purchase my own chairs at three different jobs due to boss indifference. Good job, lying on the bench! The butterflies are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emma is a better hunter than our cat, Bella. Bella just catches them, brings them to us, and then they run away. I know what you mean about having a bird feeder and chipmunks. We have many.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh good heavens, a stool for 7 hours. It's a wonder you could walk at all after that. Just the thing to make you love manning the VC even more than you already do. Although I must say I would sure love to have someone with your knowledge, experience and sense of humor greeting me. So sad about both the chipmunk and the turtle. I'll bet Emma was thrilled though. Just enough to reinforce her continued hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A stool for 7 hours...maybe once in grade school...with a coned hat on my head...Actually, I have traded the cone for a lampshade..JUST KIDDING!!
    A little touch of "survival of the fittest", and after all, dogs are still predators...Maybe she can switch it up to mice! I agree with you about shopping local..I HATE our Wally Mart..too bad we weren't closer, I would give you some of my famous rub to put on some chops...I could always email you that recipe if you want..It's great on chicken and pork...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not a fan of Emma any longer. Hate seeing cute little dead animals.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Too bad we won't be in the neighbourhood on the 4th of July. Sounds like you're going to have the best food!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We got the best smoked pork chops at a local shop in Arizona. Those brats sound interesting, you will have to let us know how they are.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw, too bad about the turtle eggs, but -- as you say -- nature can be ruthless. And, way to go, Emma! I know there are enough of those pesky chipmunks around to fill a football field three times over, so nabbing one might not make a difference in the overall scheme of things, but it sure must have made Emma's day!

    ReplyDelete