.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Some people really like cranes!

The morning dawned a little cooler today, so Emma and I headed off to work on removing all the overgrown vegetation in front of the bunkhouse.  After three hours of digging, shoveling, raking, and hauling off many loads of debris in the world’s heaviest wheelbarrow, I called it quits for the day on that project.  What a cardio and upper body workout that was!  It only took a few minutes before I stripped off my sweatshirt and wished I had worn shorts.  I’ve got the job about half done now, and I think today was the worst of it with digging out very established grass type vegetation with deep and massive root systems. 

 

After taking Emma back to the rig, I headed to the Visitor’s Center to relieve Fonda so she could take a lunch break.  While she was gone, a woman and her daughter came in.  The woman was from Wisconsin, and really wanted to see some cranes.  She picked up one of the little crane tattoos that we have for kids.  Then she began taking off her sweater, and rolling up the sleeve of her top.  I thought she was going to put on one of those washable tattoos.

IMG_9402

What she really wanted to do was show us her permanent crane tattoo!  I guess she really likes cranes.

IMG_9404 IMG_9405

She has the greater sandhill cranes all around where she lives during the summer, and was thrilled to find a National Wildlife Refuge dedicated to sandhill cranes.  Her daughter even asked if her mom could have a picture with Scott, the biologist, as a memento of her visit.  Smile  Scott was more than willing to pose with her in front of a crane mural we have in the Visitor’s Center.

 

It’s nice when you get such enthusiastic visitors!  I hope they were successful in finding some cranes to view today after we told them where to go for the best possibilities.

 

Looks like I’ll be back digging away in the garden again tomorrow morning.  I sure wish they’d get the protocol written for the bird surveys I’m supposed to do…

IMG_9408 IMG_9410

I’ll leave you with a couple of not so spectacular sunset shots from the bayou this evening.

 

Thanks for stopping by…. talk to you later,  Judy

13 comments:

  1. happy crane day!!..that visitor really likes them to have a crane tattoo !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to explore that area when I start heading down the road. It looks like you are there about the only time of year that the humidity and "skeeters" won't bite ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would rather work in a visitors center than dig out roots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Digging out the old vegetation would not be my kind of fun. What a hoot about your visitor with the very impressive crane tattoos. Good thing those children's versions are a tamer version of the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tatoos?? I still can't figure out why so many people do that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like cranes too,although my favorite is the 250ton rail model made in Ohio by Bucyrus-Erie. Ha,Ha. I like the bird models too. But I couldn't resist. be safe out there. Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unlike Merikay, I would much prefer digging out roots as opposed to working in a Visitor's Center. Give me a shovel & a pile of dirt & I am a happy guy. I'm with Rick on his Tattoo opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cranes, cranes everywhere! Very interesting tattoo!

    I like playing in the dirt too.

    Travel Safe
    Dawn and Denise

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea!! Another "older" crazy lady with a tattoo...It sure sounds like you are enjoying your stay there. Be careful and don't "crane" your neck looking at all of those cranes!!
    I can't wait till we can get outside and get our veggie garden planted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That lady is difinitely a crane lover. Good for her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely do not like cranes enough to get a tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tattoos of a crane is a whole lot better then an ex-husband's name!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't get the tattoo thing. Maybe its the pain that comes with it that I don't want, but cool tattoo.

    ReplyDelete