.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Holy Buckets! What a downpour!

The predicted rain overnight didn’t materialize, but skies were threatening as I got up this morning.  While I was getting ready to head into the Visitor’s Center, Jay knocked on my door to inform me that there was a tornado watch for the area.  I then started moving things around so I could roll in the slide-outs on the motorhome.  By the time I got that done, the rain started with a vengeance.  What a downpour we had!  Emma was shaking like a leaf in a stiff breeze.  The thunder roared and the lightening flashed nonstop.  I really should have grabbed Emma and headed for headquarters, but I didn’t.  We sat it out for a couple of hours, and luckily, no tornado found us.  

 

Eventually I made it in to work, and was surprised at the number of visitors we had this afternoon.  I sure wouldn’t have been out doing tourist stuff in this kind of weather.  Guess I’m just becoming a wimp in my old age.  Embarrassed smile

 

The front moved on through by late afternoon, and Emma and I were able to sit outside when I was done with work.  Normally, I would ensconce myself in my beloved rocker, but it developed a little problem last night.

IMG_9566 IMG_9567

When I sat down in it, the fabric ripped all the way up the side!  What’s up with that?  I’ve only had this rocker for two years, and I put it under cover every night.

IMG_9568

My back up chair is this Zip Dee that I purchased back in 1987.  That’s 24 years of use, and the fabric has never been replaced.  It doesn’t rock, and has started to rust a bit, but it sure has been reliable!  Do I need to say that they don’t make things like they used to?  I’m not a happy camper about that rocker, for sure!  Well, the rocker was toast, and the Zip Dee was soaking wet, so I pulled out my final option to sit on.  It’s one of those cheap-o fold up chairs that come in a bag.  It’s not really comfortable, but will do in a pinch.

_MG_9532

When the rain stopped this afternoon, all the chipping sparrows, chickadees, goldfinches, and titmice swarmed the feeders to make up for lost time.

_MG_9537 _MG_9551

I even had both a female and male Eastern towhee stop by for a bite to eat.  Along with a half a dozen squirrels, of course.  Sad smile

_MG_9547 _MG_9548

SAM has commented that he would like to see some more pictures of Emma.  Well Sam, this is what happens when I try to take a picture of her.  She holds still if I’m taking pictures of other things on our hikes when I ask her to, but if I want a picture of her she’s just not interested in that!  She always gives me the rear end view.  She seems to have a sixth sense about that, and will immediately do what ever is necessary to ignore me.  Baring teeth smile

IMG_9569

Just as the sun was setting tonight, Jay gazed down the road and noticed the fog rolling in.

57 MS Sandhill Crane NWR16

I grabbed my camera, and Emma, and we headed to the savannah to try to capture the beauty of the aftermath of today’s storms.  It was quite an experience as that fog literally engulfed us in it’s gossamer grip.  Oddly, it only lasted a short time, and then it was gone.  An eerie ending to the day…

 

Thanks for stopping by…. talk to you later,  Judy

19 comments:

  1. I kept my son's dog Sarah for "the rest of her life" and she was a basket case whenever there was thunder. Or dogs were confined to the lower level of the house and the stairs were blocked off with a gate. When she was scared Sarah was able to climb over the gate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy news that no tornadoes arrived at your house. That is one bad storm you guys are having. The fog pictures are really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Strongback chair for you when I see you in May.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you avoided the tornadoes - they are not my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. does this side make my 'butt' look big?..poor Emmi..doesn't she know she is famous!..Tucker loves getting his picture taken!!..he is such a 'poser'!
    glad the tornado didn't find you!..looks like you may need to buy a new chair!..or maybe sit on a stump??...have a good one!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My oldest and cheapest chairs are still around because the fabric hasn't split yet. They are also the easiest things to carry around with me - I throw them in the truck or the camper, and another good thing is I don't have to worry about them getting stolen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad about your favorite chair...but glad the tornado never arrived. I'm so sorry Emma was scared. Our dogs don't like storms either. Poppy hides in the bathtub and we have to turn the fan on so she can't hear anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had monsoon type rains all day and are now under a wind warning. Did you send it up this way!?

    My husband lost a dog once due to an electrical storm. She was so terrified, she jumped through the basement window and ran off. Unfortunately, she was fatally hit by a car as she ran.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We need some new chairs and that's one more thing about Spring I'm looking forward to with great joy! Glad you and Emma came through the storm okay. We're getting rain, rain, rain tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tornado's scare the heck out of me, glad they missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad the tornados missed you. I think the fog as it rolls in is kind of amazing. Loved the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job avoiding the tornado--too bad it got your rocking chair. Well, not really. We like our good old Zip Dees for sitting and our ten-year-old Lafumas for lounging.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe your older Zip Dee was made in America & the newer recliner was made in, well you know....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Could you have re-fit your chair with a new piece of canvas?? Too bad our daughter, Terrie , wasn't there...She is the chair renovator queen..
    I love pictures of fog..and yours are some of the best.."The fog creeps in on little cat feet"...or something like that...Robert Frost

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post...heard about all the bad weather your way yesterday & thot about you & Emma -- glad you are safe. We have the rain today. Emma is just like a kid -- doesn't always do what you want her to do...lol, but she's still a pretty puppy. Great pics of the birds & the fog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm still chuckling over Emma, Maybe if you get by on your way to Illinois, we can get her to pose with Rigg's & Sadie. Their both camera hounds. Of course Emma & Rigg's will have to run off some energy first. I have to sneak up on m,ine or wait till there busy eating to get a butt of them. Hey how far are you from Saucier Ms. It's near Gulport someplace. My Niece Tammy lives there, she's a sweetie. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am sure that the chair failure was an unexpected deterioration rather than any excess load caused by deserts :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the foggy pictures. Did you get my email about where we are staying?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great photos, as usual! Those storms scare the heck out of me, which in turn scares the heck out of Jerry since I squeeze him too tightly or try to crawl under him or when I jump every time it thunders. I'm with Emma...not fond of tornadoes either.

    ReplyDelete