.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

No-see-ums

Okay, so I guess I haven’t been plagued by chiggers, but no-see-ums, which are biting midges that are found in moist environments.  It also appears that I have an extreme reaction to them.  Remember the “stuff” cookout we had on Sunday night?  Well, when I got back inside the rig, my legs really started itching.  I’ve counted over 39 bites on just one leg.  Needless to say, I got next to no sleep on Sunday night. Steaming mad

 

Lesson learned is that I had better wear long pants anywhere near sunset outside!  Other folks wore shorts, and were not bothered at all, but apparently these little buggers find me irresistible.  When I researched no-see-ums it said to avoid scratching the bites…yea, right!  The itch for me is so intense that it’s not possible for me to ignore it.  If I had a tub, I’d consider taking a bath in rubbing alcohol!  Smile  It seems there’s always some bug no matter where I travel that offers me a challenge.  Guess I’m a more sensitive person than I thought.

_MG_9727I worked the visitor’s center today, and stepped outside occasionally to try to get a good picture of the Eastern bluebirds that are flitting around setting up their breading territories.  I know they’ll be using the bird houses I cleaned out a couple of weeks ago.  I would have liked to get a little closer to this guy, but he flew off as I approached.

_MG_9729 _MG_9734

The Northern mockingbirds have begun to burst into full song just recently…another sign of spring.  Each sunrise is proving to be noisier and noisier, as the dawn chorus of birdsong begins it’s crescendo towards it’s peak as the breeding season arrives.  Some people complain about the ruckus, but I truly enjoy the morning concert!

 

Don’t know if I’ll be working tomorrow or not.  It all depends upon Congress whether or not there is a federal shut down.  If the extension bill isn’t passed tonight, federal facilities, such as wildlife refuges will be shut down.  We have been told we can continue to stay here, but there won’t be much of anything we can do until the shut down is over.  I can live with that.  I’m thinking the bill will probably pass to prevent the shut down, but if it happens, I’ll just have more time to do and see other things in the area.

_MG_9736Emma has found another interest in life.  There are large bumble bees slowly flying around the campsite right now.  She  seems to consider them intruders, so is ever vigilant to their flying through our site.  Not sure what would happen if she ever snapped one up, though.  I’ve never had a bee guard dog before.  Smile

 

Thanks for stopping by…. talk to you later,  Judy

19 comments:

  1. don't eat the 'yellow flies' Emma!..our other golden swallowed a bee and her ears were so swollen that she looked like Yoda!!..
    I do believe that long pants might be a good idea for you, Judy!!

    hang in there..try not to scratch!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so bad for you. My legs itch in sympathy. Being a retired Fed, I'll be curious to see if they do shut down. I've been through many many close calls and a few actual shut downs. I think it's just pure infantile of Congress but that's my opinion.

    Emma = do not, repeat, do not try to bite those bees. Skittlez's mouth swelled up so bad and she had trouble breathing. So stay away from them. That's a good girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm telling' ya. You need Avon Skin so Soft with Bug Guard.

    It's a shame that workers can't go in strike but the Congress can shut down the federal govt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that long pants will take care of your bug problems. Great pictures, especially of the bluebird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bugs like me too ...and I don't like them. Good old fashioned Calamine lotion helps with the itch. Cute photo of Emma but sure hope she doesn't catch a bee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If Emma gets stung, benedril (sp) works for dogs and was recommended by a vet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to suggest Calamine but Donna beat me to it. You may want to locate the nearest emergency vet, just in case sweey Emma does bite a bee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'll find some of that Avon stuff before we are on the road. I just hate to get bug bites, and the last few years I've had some horrendous reactions to what I think were spider bites. Mostly because I got them while working with stacking fire wood and because they had two little "fang" marks in the center.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Mockingbirds spring songs too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We suffered with no-see-ums in Missouri last summer. It was terrible the first week, trying to sit out in the evening but feeling like 10,000 microscopic pirahana were nibbling my legs. Either they went away or we developed an immunity, because it got better after a week or so. My legs looked like I had been walking through a colony of chiggers. Emma, I agree, don't catch one of them bumblebees!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We were bothered a bit by no see-ums at Lone Pine a few days ago & that surprised me. We get them bad in Bayfield every Spring for a about a week. Miserable things. I never wear shorts so have no problem there & a had does help a bit. Trees are beginning to bud here in the west too & it's so nice for us Northerners to see the color green again

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful photo of Emma! Always love bluebird photos also. I now have a new bird feeder that the squirrels have not visited - but no birds yet. Thankfully we don't have no-see-ums where we are in Florida - they can be a real PITA.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that picture of Emma, had to show it to Rigg's, I guess he liked what he saw as he moved his head back and forth as I told him about her. Get something for those bites. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor Judy, I feel your pain--I too am very sensitive to bug bites--wear those long pants and use some bug spray! Great photo of Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to hear and see bluebirds and mocking birds sing again! It's been toooooo long!

    Stumpy is a bee catcher, too. if Emma has never been stung before, you may want to pick up some benadryl in case she has an allergic reaction. Benadryl should be part of everyones first aid kit. You never know when an allergic reation will appear!

    Cyndi and Stumpy @ RVly Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some friends of mine experienced attacks of no-see-ums in San Blas, Mexico where they are called "jejenes" usually followed by one form of Mexican cuss word or another. They used a product called Ultrathon by 3M. In Mexico these bugs only attack at sunrise and sunset and my friends said this product solved the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was introduced to no-see-ums last night sitting outside with friends. I thought the same as you that I was being eaten up by chiggers, and was corrected by my friend. Hate the little buggers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You can keep the no seeums ...we get them every Spring and Summer....You sound like you are somewhat alergic to bites...Keep Benedryl cream and pills handy...They sure helped me with my Fire Ant bites!!!
    Loved the pic of Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my! Maybe you should have some Benadryl for yourself as well! We stopped at Bishop a few years back just when some flying insect was emerging --- out of a hole right next to our motorhome! We had thousands of them in our rig, and it took six months to get the last of them out. We even had to buy a new vacuum cleaner to suck them teeney little moth-type creatures out of everywhere!

    ReplyDelete