.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Back to work

After having a nice little string of days off, it was back to the salt mines today.  Smile  Trail maintenance was on the docket for the morning.  Denny and I headed off to the Escanawba trail to mow and weed whack.  Somehow, Denny got to ride the mower, and I had to hike the 2 miles of trails loaded down with one heavy  weed whacker.  My job was to whack away at all the growth that had engulfed the four or five benches along the trail.  I got the first one done, but when I got to the second one, I couldn’t get the blasted whacker started.  I just don’t have the oomph anymore to pull the cord fast and hard enough to engage the motor.  I struggled with that thing for 20 minutes before finally giving up.  Did I mention that it was sunny and hot, and I was sweating bullets?  Eventually, I made it back to the beginning of the trails and occupied myself with a portable drill repairing a couple of the boardwalks.  I sure got my exercise today!

_MG_9946 _MG_9949

After lunch and some time in the visitor’s center, I headed back to the rig to enjoy some time outside with Emma.  One of the brown thrashers came flitting through the shrubbery.

_MG_9966 _MG_9968

This Northern cardinal has also chosen the area around my rig as his territory, and has been singing away for days.

_MG_9958 _MG_9959

This blue-grey gnatcatcher was also working the area gleaning insects from the leaves and branches.  It’s the first one I’ve seen here on the refuge.

_MG_9976

After relaxing for a while, Denny came over to the community area to empty the ashes out of the fireplace.  Fonda, Denny, and I had a cookout planned for tonight’s dinner.

_MG_9977In short order, I had the New York BBQ chicken cooking on the grill.  Since this is another meal that’s hard to make for one, I jump at the chance to fix this meal when there is a group I’m with.  It was delicious if I do say so myself.  We enjoyed the campfire after dinner until the bugs chased us inside.  It was a busy day, and I know I’ll sleep well tonight.

_MG_9975

                                                THE END!!  (could this be Denny’s best side??Smile)

 

Thanks for stopping by…. talk to you later,  Judy

23 comments:

  1. At least you tried to do the weed wacking. I never have been strong enough to start pull starts. I remember a few very frustrating events when I was a young wife trying to do the yard. Not any more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cardinals...to me they bring Christmas to mind as my grandmother always had to have these beautiful glass cardinals on her tree every year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love cardinals. State bird of VA where my hubby grew up and where we met. Does Denny know he's your ending? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. you need to get that gnatcatcher to bring more friends!!! that way maybe the bugs wouldn't be such a bother...

    awesome looking cookout!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't feel bad, I've never met a weed whacker I could start yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they are making those pull cords harder to operate in the past few years. The one on my generator is difficult at first, but if I use it frequently it seems to get easier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your "the end" pictures always make me smile. It's sure good that you are such a hard worker, Judy. Better you than me, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judy, I'm SHOCKED!! Just kidding, I got a chuckle out of your (or Denny's) ending! That chicken sure looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tell Denny to put a new plug in that weed whacker it might start a lot easier, change mine every couple months as they get oil soaked. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna...

    ReplyDelete
  10. They need to make weed wackers for short people..Not only can I NOT get it started, but I can't hold it up high enough to wack anything but my feet!!! Nice job on the chicken...we need smelloblog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your ending pic.
    Hey, starting the wee eater is no fun, Gerri pulled her rotator cuff while at FDR State park this summer and still has problems with it.
    Take care and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of all the birds in your photos today, I like the NY BBQ chicken, the best! It was a tough call, because I REALLY love cardinals and miss seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the 'bird' on the grill. Looks yummy. Beautiful cardinal photo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are one busy lady! That chicken looks delicious. Hope you slept well ☺

    ReplyDelete
  15. That chicken looks delicious, is there a recipe? Has Denny seen "the end" yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you sure that was chicken on the grill and not some of the birds around your campsite? ;c)

    With all the hard work you've done I'm sure they'll double your salary in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great pics -- again. Maybe more gnatcatchers will show up if they smell what's cooking:) Looked yummy -- let me know beforehand when you'll be cooking & maybe I'll show up & join in! I'd be sweating too if I were trying to start a weed-wacker. Great ending to a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Judy: Take a look at the KGW Raptor Cam at: http://www.kgw.com/lifestyle/raptor-cam tomorrow. We now have 4 eggs in the nest. Perhaps you already know about this but thought I should give you a head's up. RWC

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the bird pictures and the chicken looks great on the grill. I saw a beautiful bird yesterday I am hoping you can help me with. It is a wood pecker, but not sure if it is the one from around here or what. Will post it in my next blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like Denny could have stepped up and handled the whacker. Next time, grab the mower keys early!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice bird shots and butt shots!

    ReplyDelete