.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, June 10, 2010

A catch up day

Since the weather forecast for today called for rain, we decided not to do any sight seeing.  Of course, since that was the plan, there were bright blue skies when we woke up.  :)  We have been going pretty strong for ten days so we went along with our plans.  Seems like everybody else in the campground felt the same way.  There was really a jam up at the camp Laundromat.  It was cool, but sunny until about 2:00 in the afternoon, when the rain began to move in again.  That ruined our plans to cook out over a fire, but we ate together anyway.

It felt good not to have to go anywhere today.  I was about to try to get pictures of some of the birds at my feeders when the rain began.
IMG_8777I brought Emma inside, and had to resort to taking the shots through the front window.  They’re not my best, but they’ll have to do for today.  This is a male black-headed grosbeak.  A couple of pairs of these colorful birds have begun stopping by for a snack at the Hard Red-Rock Bird Cafe.  :)
IMG_8787 

IMG_8779
I also identified a pair of new birds for me.  I have never seen the Cassin’s finch before.  They’re similar looking to purple finches and house finches, but there are striking differences.



That’s about all that happened on this rest day.  Tomorrow we’re headed back to Yellowstone.

Thanks for stopping by….talk to you later,  Judy

5 comments:

  1. What kind of birdseed do you put in your feeders? I get hummingbirds all the time, but only once did I see birds at the thistle sock, and once at the feeder. I must be doing something wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice bird pictures! Mike and I just love birds but we don't have the variety that you have. Love that grosbeak and I have never seen a cassins finch either....very striking.
    I'm enjoying your blog!!

    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)
    http://freedom2roll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know anything about birds but the pink one looks like he paid the hairdresser lot's of money for that color!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have both grosbeaks and lots of finches at my feeder too. I love the grosbeaks because the feeder is small and when one of them takes off the whole thing spins.

    Ah, the mundane, doing the wash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, I'm so jealous you're in Wyoming, I just can't stand it! But...so happy for you that you're there and getting to see that gorgeous scenery. As usual, I always look forward to your pictures, and your great travelogue. Can't wait to check your blog everyday!

    ReplyDelete