.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Buffalo Bill Historical Center

IMG_8595



IMG_8597






Along about 9:00, we headed out for the Buffalo Bill Historical Center which was only a few minutes away from the campground.  This historical center houses five different museums inside.  There was a special display available about saddles and leather tooling, that I was especially interested in.
IMG_8589


IMG_8590
Back in one of my former lives, I did leather tooling.  I never did a saddle, but I could certainly appreciate the workmanship.



IMG_8591

IMG_8592
This was  a magnificent display of the art of leather tooling.  If you’ve ever worked with leather, you would understand my fascination with this special display.  :)




IMG_8594Then along came a miniature cowboy with his father.  He strutted along with his hat, boots, and thumbs hooked in his jean’s pockets.  He couldn’t pass up the chance to “get in the saddle.”  I tried to get a picture of him with his dad, who also had spurs on his boots, but it wasn’t to be.  What a hoot!  They had obviously come to check out the saddle display, and left shortly afterwards.

All of the five museums concern the history of the west.  In the museum containing artwork and sculpture, there was a hands-on activity that caught my interest.  Alexander Phimister Proctor,  was an artist that sculpted, among other things, a public monument to Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders.   The challenge was to recreate this sculpture in miniature.  I tried it myself, but found I needed more than two hands to solve the puzzle.
IMG_8600I enlisted Stan to help me out, and eventually….
IMG_8601we got the sculpture puzzle assembled.  The actual, bigger than life, sculpture can be viewed in Oregon, North Dakota, and New York.

After four hours at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, we were kind of overloaded mentally, so we headed out for a late lunch.  If you ever find yourself in Cody, Wyoming, the Historical Center is a must see place.  The cost for seniors is $13, and well worth it!

I’m hoping the very high winds calm down overnight so we can drive through Yellowstone to the Red Rocks RV park in Idaho tomorrow.  It will be nice to settle into a location for a while.

Thanks for stopping by….talk to you later,  Judy   

3 comments:

  1. We have been experiencing a lot of wind in the afternoons everywhere lately. I hate the wind most of all.

    Those saddles sure looked beautiful. My grandmother used to do leather tooling and made purses and belts....no saddles. :)

    Enjoyed your trip to the center, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you wake up in Wyoming and there is no wind, something is drastically wrong, I think I would look for a shelter. The Museum and saddle display was great,hopefully it is not 100 degrees where you are at. Be safe out there, Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting place to visit. Thanks for telling us about it!

    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete