.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Challenging the brain cells!

I could have also titiled this post as "getting a new toy."  Yes, I went back to Austin/Cedar Park to the Best Buy to purchase the new laptop.  Little did I know that the time involved would be similar to purchasing a new car!  You know how that goes......hurry up and wait, for hours and hours.  Ugh!  I don't do well waiting hours and hours.  I purchased a Dell with a 17" screen and quite a few bells and whistles.  Scanning the plastic charge card was the easy part.  Getting the "Geeks" to get it ready to use and install the virus protection program was the time consuming part.  After three hours, it was finally ready to go.  So I headed for the nearest Sprint Store to have them install my aircard software.  When they started, they asked where my power cord was.  Hmmm, shouldn't it be in the box?  Apparently not!  The "geeks" forgot to pack it back in the box, so off I went on a return trip to Best Buy through the busy Saturday traffic.  When I got there, I had to wait in line to speak to a representative, and then he had the nerve to give me grief about it.  I took a deep breath and eventually got the missing power cord.  By the time I got back to the Sprint Store, they had installed the aircard software, and I was ready to go.

Poor Emma; she was in her crate for six hours while I got everything taken care of.  That was more time than I ever thought it would take.  We went on a nice walk when I returned, but I was chomping at the bit to see how things were going to work.

No sooner did I start unpacking the new laptop, when the phone rang and my son, Daniel, was calling to see if I had bought the new computer.  He then helped me through the intitial steps with Windows 7.  Of course, computers is what he does for a living,  and for me he was talking so fast that I struggled to keep up.  Once he hung up, I tried tinkering at my own speed, and was able to transfer over quite a bit of the things from my old computer by myself.  Slow and steady wins the race in my case.

I must say that I notice an astounding difference in the speed of trying to do things on this new computer.  I've been able to load all my travels pictures from the last four years, and get everything on my favorites bar that I had before.  I feel like I've really accomplished a lot today.  I guess I'll need to install a Word program before I can transfer over my spreadsheets.  I also have a few other programs that I want to install, but I'm afraid I've had enough of a brain challenge for today.  Time to chill out in front of the TV for the evening.  I'm a happy camper with this new toy.  :)

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later,  Judy

Oh, oh....I just noticed that I don't have the Google toolbar yet, so no spell check tonight.  Hope I didn't do too bad in that department.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment