Borrego Springs, CA

Monday, January 4, 2010


Yesterday morning I took my time getting up and doing the normal morning chores.  I fixed a nice hot breakfast, took Emma for a long walk, and finally went to Winnie to do some grocery shopping.  By the time I got home and put everything away, it was a little after 11:00.  I then sat down to calculate my volunteer hours for the month of December, and glanced at the calendar that Stephanie had printed for me with my January assignments.  To my great surprise, it showed that I was supposed to be working the VIS yesterday.  Oh my goodness!  I thought I was only working the VIS on Saturdays.  Apparently the local volunteer wasn't available this weekend.

Needless to say, I literally hopped up out of my seat and prepared to hot foot it the ten miles over to the shack.  I got things opened up by noon, and had a fairly busy afternoon.  I guess it was because it was a holiday weekend.  The weather certainly wasn't anything to write home about.

One of the visitors I spoke with was a gentleman from Mississippi.  I asked him if he knew of the Sandhill Crane National Wildlife Refuge in southern Mississippi where I am thinking of volunteering at next winter.  It turned out he was a research biologist at Mississippi State University and works with both the Sandhill Crane and  Grand Bay NWRs.  What a small world!  I was just coresponding with a fellow volunteer that is at Sandhill in the morning.  He gave me his card, and maybe I'll be working with him next year.

I'm sure glad I glanced at that calendar...

I'm trying a new edition of the editor for my blog today, so I'm not sure how this will turn out.  I can't seem to find the spell check feature with this edition, and that is a concern to me.  I spell pretty well, but it never hurts to have a proofreader.

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later,  Judy


  1. What! No more Blast From The Past! Well, I'll get over it, but have surely enjoyed them and thank you for posting them. Am still reading your blog every day and getting more envious by the day, as well. It is 8 degrees here at 7:30 pm.!! How's your mother doing?

  2. Deanna, Thanks for your comments. My mom is improving a little with physical therapy, but it is still not good. I think not being able to communicate is the hardest thing for her.