.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Sunday Blast from the Past

When I left Anahuac NWR, back in May of 2007, I stopped the first night at Caddo Lake State Park in Texas. My intentions were to just stay one night, but I changed my mind once I got there. There was too much to see and do for just one night.

This campground epitomized what I had in my mind of a swampy Southern bayou. The cypress trees around and in the water were draped with moss.
.
The second day that I was there, I took a tour on a pontoon boat that was run by a woman.


I'm glad she knew where she was going, because I surely would have gotten lost back in this swamp!


What a great tour this was. I especially enjoyed seeing the prothonatory warblers flitting by at eye level.
.
The third day I was there, I went on a nature hike that was led by Gwen Young, the campground host. Gwen and her husband, Jim, had hosted at Caddo Lake for several years. It was hard to believe they were 87 years old with the way she led us up and down the trails of the park!
.
While I was busy enjoying myself for those three days, a pair of very persistent Carolina wrens had decided that my rig was the ideal place for them to build a nest. Not just one nest, mind you, but three! One was on a shelf under my slide-out, one was under the slide-out awning, and the last one I found in the basket of my mo-ped. The nest on top of the slide-out proved to be the most difficult to remove. That area is close to 12 feet from the ground, and I don't have a ladder that tall. I had to balance my footstool on top of my ladder and then try to sweep the nest out with a broom over my head. I was finally successful, and then quickly went inside and brought the slide in before the wrens had a chance to add any more sticks.
.
Lots of good memories from a short three day stay.......
.
Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment