.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Will wonders never cease?

Since I’m done with the bird atlas work for this season, I was all about mowing this morning.  I put on jeans, my steel toed boots, safety glasses, ear plugs and climbed aboard the big John Deere.  At this point, I would like to mention that today was the hottest day of the year so far, and the deer flies seem to be at their peak.  Uff-dah!  (I can’t remember if that’s the proper spelling, but you know what I mean.)

IMG_0108

Along about 10:00, I took a little break and hung out my wash.  Yep, the new set of laundry lines got finished up yesterday afternoon.  I’m sure glad I mentioned this little improvement to the RV sites at a staff meeting last month. Winking smile  I don’t think Steve will be using them, but I sure will.  I love the smell of sun dried sheets and clothing.

After about four hours of mowing, and temperatures nearing 90, I was more than wilted and called it quits for the day.  I was having a little trouble with my right shoulder as well.  Not all of the places I mow are level, and I have to admit that I’m a chicken about doing the steeply slanted parts.  I feel like the mower is going to roll over and crush me.  It’s not so bad if I can hang on with my left arm, but advancing age makes slants to the left painful for my right shoulder.  At any rate, I did the best I could and doubled back several times so the slant would be to the right.  Headquarters should be good until I return next week.

IMG_0107

The wonder of the day came when Wold’s RV showed up just before 4:00 to work on my awning.  It’s been almost two months since I asked them to come and repair it.  After a little over an hour, they had restrung and repositioned it so that it now closes correctly and locks.  They also brought along the correct new windshield wipers.  I am one happy camper now.  With the way things had been going with them, I didn’t think this job was ever going to get done.

I have to tell you that I just had to chuckle listening to the two guys and their young ‘gopher’ work.  Their heavy Minnesota accents just made me think of all those Sven and Ole jokes, don’t-cha know.  It was a hoot! 

IMG_0110

After they left, I began my preparations for leaving for five days in earnest.  Of course that included making a bowl of travel snacks.  This time, I mixed Fritos, Cheetos, Bugles, and pretzel sticks together.  Forget the sweets, I’m a salty crunchy type of snacker on a long drive.   It’s just about 300 miles to Rochester, MN, from here so between the lunch I’ll pack in the morning and these crunchies, I’ll be all set.  My suitcase is just about ready, and Emma’s food and bowl are already in the car.  I’ve got lots planned for my visit, so I’ll have to see how it goes about posting.  I’m excited.

IMG_9167

                                               Another view of my foggy sunset the other night.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

32 comments:

  1. Looks like you're ready for the road.... glad your awning etc got fixed before you left. So... have a safe and happy trip. Enjoy those kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smile every time I hear a Minnesota accent. I love it. I'm sure somebody would get a laugh out of my Midwestern twang. Our different dialects make us so interesting and I think it fun to listen to someone from another region of the country. Enjoy your trip to Rochester - safe travels to you and Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your crunchy, salty snacks look good! No sugar high when driving...that's for sure! I'm glad you and Emma are going to visit family. Be safe and have lots of fun!

    I know you are relieved to have the awning and wipers fixed...I love checking things off that list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have the best time ever. I'd have to throw some M&M's in with those snacks of yours. Awning fixed - that is such good news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can always come and do my lawn, it is completely level:) My old age problem is I hate cutting grass:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you got the awning fixed and the correct wipers in place. Now you are good to stay and good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sense of timing have Sven and Ole! I love most American accents and it's fun to guess where someone is from who has been away from home for a long time. The accent fades after a while but never goes away. Have a great trip and a wonderful time with family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a wonderful time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your foggy sunset photo! Safe travels..

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you happen to be passing through the Twin Cities at mealtime and need a break let me know and I'll buy lunch or dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you ever listen to Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion program when you are in Minnesota? I don't care much for his personal politics, but his "News from Lake Wobegon" is very entertaining to this me since I was raised as an Iowa Scandinavian Lutheran. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Us Minnesotans think everyone else talks funny:) Have a safe and fun trip:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. have a safe trip! as for clothes on the line?..love the smell, especially the sheets and pillowcases!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Judy * you and Emma have a fun and safe trip. Becki

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have a safe trip ... I'm a salty crunchy gal for road trips, too. I'll have to keep your recipe in mind ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is great to get something fixed! Safe Travels

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love salty crunchy snakes but not on the road. I drink too many fluids and have to make a pit stop too often.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Travel safe--am glad Emma gets to go along. We eat our way across the US also, a little salty, then a little sweet, a little salty, then a little sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I guess those deer flies will just have to go hungry until you get back...

    I'd be really interested in how the RV repair techs restrung your awning. Did you watch?

    Have a safe trip, with those salty, crunchy snacks you should be able to stay awake. :cD

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to ride along with you..We could be like Thelma and Louise, without the part where they go over the cliff in their car :-( I am excited for you to be with your family...nothing like it in this world!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad you won't have to worry about that awning any more. Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So smart with the salty snacks, it prevents you from having to take too many potty breaks! I used to do that alot when travelling long distances. Makes for good timing!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'll take salty or sweet snacks as I'm an ambidextrous snacker!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Have a wonderful time and have a safe trip. Like your taste in road snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Have a wonderful time with family and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Have a wonderful trip and be safe! Don't think about us...just enjoy your family. We'll still be here when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just love your header picture and sun dried clothing and sheets. Few things better. I've been without internet for 2 weeks so I didn't know you were going on a 5 day trip. Guess I'll have to go back and read all about it. Have a safe one!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Judy, you post some beautiful pics, but these two sunset pics are the best! I love both of them! Have a safe trip.

    Ann M

    ReplyDelete
  29. Have a great time and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Judy, you are a trooper jumping on the John Deere to mow!
    About time those guys fixed the awning.
    How is the spray working on the ticks? Any help in repelling them?
    Safe trip to Rochester, MN and back.

    ReplyDelete