.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Hot enough to take off my shoes and socks!

I’m the type of person that only takes off my shoes and socks when it’s time to go to bed.  I’ve always been that way.  Lots of people go walking around barefoot or in sandals or flip-flops… not me.  People that don’t wear shoes whack their feet on things.  Whenever my kids stubbed their toes, my mantra was, “That wouldn’t have happened if you wore your shoes!”  If I were going to have a headstone, that’s what they’d probably have engraved on it. 

I took my shoes off once, and broke my toe on the edge of the TV cabinet.  Lesson learned once again.  However, it’s hot enough tonight that I’m sitting inside my rig with the AC blowing, and I’ve taken off my shoes and socks!  I guess I’ll just have to sit here for a while and write a long blog post.  I certainly don’t want to get up and try to walk around, since I’m sure disaster would befall me.  I don't know smile

I was out the door by 7:00 this morning to work on the Balsam Lake Breeding Bird Atlas block.  Ha!  Not so fast Judy, the big cement truck was coming by 7:30, so I had to move my car down the hill to get it out of the way.  Then it was decided that the luxurious refuge truck I was using would have to be traded in for an older model for my use.  I knew this change was coming since the truck I’ve been driving only has 12,000 miles, but I have a lot of stuff in this truck to transfer over, so it took a while.  Volunteers generally get to use the vehicles that have been ‘retired’ from active duty.  I really don’t care what vehicle I use as long as it runs and I don’t have to haul along a step ladder to get into it.

IMG_3694 IMG_3696After I was finally off, I had a red-tailed hawk in the block, but it didn’t stay around long for pictures.

I worked the block for about three hours, and by then the temps were rising quite a bit and the birds had quieted down.  I decided to check all the kiosks at the different entry points to the refuge to make sure there were enough pamphlets available for visitors over the long holiday weekend.

_MG_9065

Just before noon, I got a call from headquarters that a couple had arrived and asked if I was around.  It turned out to be Bob & Linda, whose blog I recently started reading.  They’ve been reading this blog for some time, and decided to take a chance on meeting up since they’re traveling through the area.  I told headquarters to direct them to the Old Indian Trailhead where we met.  It’s always nice to meet fellow fulltimers and bloggers in person.  We had a good time chatting for a while, and then it was back to work for me.

IMG_9072 IMG_9067

As I traveled along, I found these intriguing seed heads.  They were about 3” in diameter.  Once a big gust of wind comes along, these seeds will be on their own flying journey to new territories.  I just enjoy the symmetry of nature.

IMG_3697

On the home stretch back to the rig, I came upon a big lump in the road that I thought might be another nesting turtle.  Turned out to be a female ruffed grouse taking a dust bath in the middle of the road.

IMG_3701

I stopped, put the emergency blinkers on in the truck, and snuck out with my camera.  It turned out to be one of those ‘National Geographic’ moments for me.  While mama was taking a bath, her little ones were hidden in the growth beside the road.  Can you see the little chick on the right?

IMG_3702

Maybe now it’s a little easier to see as mama got closer.  You can see its little head peering out from under a leaf just to the right of her breast.  There were a couple of them safely hidden in there.  They were located in the Booth Lake block that I also atlas, so check off another breeding confirmation!

The cement was poured for our new patios early this morning, so I’ll be packing things up again tomorrow and moving back into place to take advantage of it.  Even though it’s only a matter of moving a very short distance, it’ll be another start from scratch set up, and I’ll have to see how long it takes to set up the DISH once again.  It can be a real pain at times.

Guess I’d better put my shoes and socks back on so I don’t break any toes on my way to the recliner to watch a Netflix movie…Who me?  Happy Birthday USA!!

IMG_3703

                                                                               THE END!!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

25 comments:

  1. Nice grouse... in Maine they are called partridge... it's always interesting to learn the local names for various plants and animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing worse than stubbing your toe on something!

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That big puffer is from Salsify - we see lots of them here in summertime Montana. Neat, aren't they?

    Sure I saw the chick! Cute little guys! Good luck moving back (keep yer shoes 'n sox on!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob & Linda are a nice couple, they were just in Houghton and we went to the Pasty Fest together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a never wear sox and shoes unless I have to type. I seldom if ever bump my toes on anything. My toes love the freedom. Do you think it's the way we are brought up? My mother kicked her shoes off as soon as she came in the door.

    Love your grouse pictures. I saw that little one. So tiny. Thought about you yesterday when I posted a visit to the Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge. Great place, have you been there? And today I swear I posted a seed head like the one you posted. Nature's patterns are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The seed heads are so interesting....I have also posted several from Park City. Did you ever blow them when you were younger? I did! Great picture of the mama grouse and yes, I did see the baby in the first picture. Way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you'd better keep your shoes and socks on or the neighbors will think Pepe La Pew in walking around... :cO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll take sandals over shoes any day. You have to be pretty clumsy to keep stubbing your toes, right??

    Have a great 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I NEVER go barefot. Sometimes use sandals and sometimes add socks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photos as usual. Really enjoyed the mama and her babies. Hope you are taking today, the 4th off and putting your (shoeless) feet up for a day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate wearing shoes or socks. Sometimes I pay for my decision!

    Happy birthday to the good old USA!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always at least have socks on around the house, bt generally socks and shoes, seldom go barefoot. growing up in a rural area some people were extremely poor and shoes were only for school. I was fortunate that we always had shoes, so guess stigma has stayed with me...no shoes = poor
    silly I know

    ReplyDelete
  13. that shot of the grouse and babies is just glorious. . .what a fabulous NatGeo moment. . .love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful shots of the grouse family. What fun!
    I go barefoot whenever the temps allow. My toes are used to the abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The grouse shot is a chance of a lifetime!! Take care of those feet, they're the only ones you'll get. I suppose that oppressive heat is moving this way!!! (can't wait) Happy 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for including us in your wonderful blog. We consider you a major league blogger, and to be included in your blog is a honor for us. We enjoyed meeting you as well. We did take the Blackbird road trail you suggested and saw an eagle and a loon with 2 babies. At times they got up on her back. it was great seeing them. We also saw a swan with 2 babies. We will include these photo's in a future blog. We also left behind our pocket binoculars. I believe we left them lay on the railing on the first info kiosk on route 26, should someone turn them in. Keep the wonderful pictures coming.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Terrific photos of the ruffled grouse! How great you got to meet another couple from the blogging world...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those photos of ruffled grouse family are precious. National Geographic, eat your heart out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great capture. I think I can see 2 unless they are that long already.

    Hope you move goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Funny:) I never go anywhere without shoes or at least Crocs. I always need something to guard the toes. Hoping that will not make the headstone:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Funny - I go barefoot all the time. I am always banging my feet up. The grouse pictures are great and now I learned what a partridge is.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Today bare feet, tomorrow you'll become a naturist.

    On another note, I always have trouble viewing your entire blog. The right side gets cut off, especially in Feedly. It used to happen in google reader too. I think it has to do with your sidebar being on the left side. Have you ever considered putting it on the right, so that all your wonderful pictures aren't cut off?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Is that Grouse by any chance related to the Roadrunner. I think they look a lot alike...Neat pic of that baby hiding in the brush. Well, I am one of those peeps who like less shoes...The minute MacGyver and I get back from our walk I take of the socks and walkers and put on my flip flops...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am not comfortable if I have cold feet. Therefore, no flip flops, etc for me. Usually I always wear socks too.

    When in SD last year there were numerous grouse living in the rv park. They made morning and nightly treks in front of our site each day. A delight to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hmm, guess I should have been reading blogs instead of trying to get caught up on "stuff". Barefoot mopping the kitchen floor, I slipped and broke my toe on the table leg a couple of weeks ago. Big toe is a big balancer I have discovered, and when not working balance doesn't work. Judy's rule, wear shoes? but of course I will never learn, being from southern california and spending most of my life barefoot. First broken toe at 67 isn't bad I guess with that record.

    ReplyDelete