.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Rainy day thoughts

Just after I took Emma for her first outs this morning, the overcast skies began to drizzle on us.  Haven’t had any rain in a week or more, so I guess it was about time.  My chores to do on this day off didn’t really depend on blue skies, so it’s really best that it rained today rather than on one of my bird atlas days.  I did a load of laundry, and then headed to Detroit Lakes for the Saturday farmer’s market.  Every one was there and lots of folks thought to bring an umbrella… not me, of course.  I picked up this week’s loaf of fresh bread, and some scallions, butter crunch lettuce, spinach greens, free range chicken eggs, luscious local strawberries, and a bouquet of flowers to enjoy in the rig.

I also stopped at Wold’s RV Center to see what was up with their supposed repair of my awning.  I haven’t heard from them in weeks.  Good thing I stopped by.  An appointment is now made for them to come out on Thursday to do the repairs.  We’ll see how that goes.

IMG_3677

The cement for the new patio was poured last Wednesday, but on Tuesday night this female turtle came to the edge of the patio area to lay her eggs.

As I drove home to the rig, the skies opened up, and it rained for most of the day.  Rainy days like this give me plenty of time to think about my travels when I leave here.  I’ll have about two weeks to get to Bayou Cocodrie NWR in Louisiana.  I plugged the address into my GPS, and it basically retraced the route I took to get here in May. 

IMG_3680

After she laid her eggs and covered them up, you could hardly tell where she had been digging.  No raccoons have come to dig them up, and the cement truck didn’t disturb the area.  Perhaps I’ll get to see the babies when they hatch.  That would be cool.

So, I got to thinking about doing the route a little differently, and avoiding US 71 through southwest Arkansas and northwest Louisiana.  A couple of years ago, Sam and Donna extended an invitation to stop at the Weeb Ranch if I was ever traveling near them.  They live fairly close to St. Louis, and I’ve never seen the arch close up.  That’s certainly a possibility if the invitation still holds. 

Catching I-55 south out of St. Louis would also afford me the opportunity to do a section of the Natchez Trace on my way to Bayou Cocodrie.  It’s been on my bucket list of things to see and do, so I’m kind of leaning that direction right now.  Sometimes, rainy days have their advantages. Open-mouthed smile

My plans for tomorrow are to survey one of my bird atlas blocks.  I know it’s supposed to be a day off for me, but time is running out to verify breeding behaviors.  If it’s not raining in the morning, I’ll be out early ‘working’.  Staff here has gotten used to me bending the schedule of work days to accommodate the weather.  Have I mentioned lately that I really like it here?

IMG_8977

                                                                              THE END!!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

19 comments:

  1. I do like rainy days too. And isn't it fun to plan and map out routes? That's one of my favorite things about our RV life...and it's even nicer to know plans can and often do change...no problem there either.

    I am so glad you are enjoying your stay at Tamarac. I sure have enjoyed all you have shared. Hope the turtle eggs hatch so we can see too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like St. Louis. The ARch is awesome and the downtown area there ... the aw jeeez what's it called... starts with an s... great area for fresh market stuff ... plus Budweiser and Forest Park... interesting City...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have your very own turtle breeding center going on ... we found two nests when we were at Eastbank, but didn't get to see any hatchlings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, you and Emma are still at the top of the list of visitors we would love to have at our place, we are in Dardenne Prairie just a mile from I -64/40.61 highway and 2 miles from I-70. Ther address is 1418 Feise Rd. O'Fallon MO. 63368. put it in your map program and Google earth it. we will put you where the fiver is parked on the pad, and move the fiver in front of the garage. just let us know some dates. We will show you the town, ( Brewery Tour, Grants Farm Arch etc. etc.) Rigg's said he will be a gentleman as always, he wants to meet Emma.. always has been a ladies man.His Dad has always told him if your nice to the Ladies, they'll be nice to you. Hope to see ya soon. Sam & Donna & Rigg's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you will enjoy the Natchez Trace drive...I certainly did. However, Wallace had a problem staying on the shoulderless roadway while trying to see the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've traveled the length of the Natchez several times... no commercial traffic... speed limit 55mph.... lots of places to pull over to see things ... AND.. to actually walk on the old Trace. There's a free campground (at least one... maybe more) along the way. What's the incubation period for turtle eggs? I hope we get to see your baby turtles...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat experience to see the turtle lay her eggs. Hope you do get some shots of the babies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes Judy please stop by and see us. right next to us is also the Busch Wildlife Center..you know Sam first thing he thinks of is the brewery :-).
    tons of stuff to see and do here, lots off history, a world class zoo. and you cant beat the price of camping....free !

    ReplyDelete
  9. plottin' and plannin' is almost as much fun as the doin'. . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Farmers Market sounds really nice. They have them here but the one is so expensive and the goods don't really look good. I don't understand their late start 1pm when it is so hot out you don't want to go and I'm sure it contributes to wilted fruit and veggies.

    I hope we get to see the eggs hatch too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should do the arch. It is fun to go up in and the museum is good and has a very good film about the journey of Lewis and Clark.

    There are some great things to see and do in the St.Louis area.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no idea you liked it there. ;c)

    I think that turtle knew you'd watch over her eggs, hope you do get to see the hatchlings, that would really be something.

    Hope the awning repair goes smoothly and cheaply!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the sound of your "new" route. Sam and Donna are wonderful hosts and you would enjoy your time with them.

    We loved the Natchez Trace and highly recommend the drive.

    Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wish we knew you were going to Wold's, we were only about 3 miles from there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have always wanted to do the Natchez Trace. I hope you do it. I think that turtle knew what she was doing to park her eggs next to you. What better protection could she have!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I toured a little of the Natchez Trace on my bicycle with the Sierra Club WAY back in the 70's. It was a great experience. I still remember the loes soil that is so soft, wagon tracks can be feet deep and in some places, the trail is more like an open-topped tunnel rather than a track.

    Glad you like Tamarac. Hope I can get there one day also. You would love it here except its the only place I've been that doesn't have volunteer trailer space. But the staff treats us wonderfully and we get to do lots of exciting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will gladly swap my frog team that gathers every evening on my patio for the turtles:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rainy day...... hummmm, what is that? Here we are in southern California where drizzle gets a headline! I will be soooo glad to head north! That will be in less than one week. Whoohoo!

    ReplyDelete