.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Stymied again

I bet you all thought I was too busy getting set up at Tamarac to blog about it.  Yea, well, it hasn’t happened yet.  Crying face  This will be the third night I have been stuck in Summit, SD.  The horrible winds on Saturday were just a precursor to Monday and Tuesday.  No way I’m driving in 30 mph winds with gusts up to 50!  What a welcome to the prairie lands.

The winds were so strong yesterday, that it popped the awning out again at the back while we were just sitting here!  So much for the duct tape idea.  I was back up on the ladder this morning pounding it back into place before the next blast began.  I’ll be checking it again in the morning. 

Tomorrow is another day, and hopefully there won’t be another wind advisory.  I’ve about had my fill of those for the time being.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

33 comments:

  1. Argh! Hoping for a nice gentle tailwind for you, tomorrow. One that will hold your awning in place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll add my Amen to that! I do hope the folks at Tamarac are being nice about the delay...

    Hugs to Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sitting still in those winds is a good thing to do. But I'd be having some words with that awning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's exactly what I thought! Sorry about the winds, but better to be safe. You'll get there eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always enjoyed a little wind - the sound of the trees blowing, cooling things down on a hot day - but enough is enough. High winds are scarey. I'm glad you stayed put, and I hope that you are safely on your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a good thing to stay put when the winds are bad. Can you get a mobile RV tech to work on the awning? I hope the wind stops so you can get on your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, gee, Judy, May winds??!! I thought that was supposed to be March. I hope you are on your way soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yea, those winds can really be an issue. Prairie for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. MacGyver is pretty fearless, but even he won't drive the Hiker in big winds...First of all, you lose mileage..secondly, IT'S DANGEROUS!! Good Call...try it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you reach the roof with your ladder or climb up on the roof from your rear ladder (or get some nice person to do this for you)?

    I secured my awning arms when my awning motor broke like this. See the pictures, I bungee corded the front and back brackets.

    http://rsanityrvtravels.blogspot.com/2012/10/more-redundant-redundancy.html





    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, we have had wind (and I'm not talking a gentle breeze) here literally every day this year. Every. Single. Day. It's making me nutty(er). :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good that you're waiting it out... my atlas says they have a population of 273... maybe they're trying to up their count some....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Been watchin your winds....we head to SD on Sunday! May the skies open to some sunshine....gheez let this lady get to MN!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh for heavens sake. You must be very frustrated with the difficulty of just getting to your new position. I sure hope it turns out to be a wonderful place for you after all this. I'm thinking, no winds tomorrow and a nearby awning fix it place when you get there. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing lasts forever. Not even prairie winds. Having said that, I feel your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember those South Dakota winds from our stay in Mitchell in 2007. They were really something and, to boot, it was over 100F!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can certainly relate the the prairie winds!! Hope they calm enough for you to get to your destination.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so glad you're staying put until the winds die down. And they will eventually. But I know it's got to be driving you nuts. Between the wind and the awning you really do need a break.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my -- you've had your share of events lately. Stay put as long as you need to. High winds are nothing to be driving in.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm sorry the weather isn't cooperating for the remainder of your drive, but staying put is the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope tomorrow brings a better day for you. Your right not to drive in that kind of wind.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry the wind is giving you problems. I read where you said you were up on the ladder and had to smile. Don't think that would have happened 7 months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hang in there and don't blow away! You will get where you are going soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  24. we've had some strong winds here off and on, around 60 mph. Even my SUV gets blown around, cant imagine what it would be like in an MH. Stay put/stay safe. Mn will still be there.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I feel your frustration. Good luck and may you soon get to your destination...it will happen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Dakotas are quite a challenge, weather-wise. I heard it was going to be 106 in Sioux falls today! Stay put and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sorry about your delay. That picture of Arkansas wine country looks so inviting - I'll bet you wish you were back there! (Or perhaps, where you're SUPPOSED to be!)

    ReplyDelete
  28. We are sort of in the same boat...we are in the Palm Springs area and the wind has been AWFUL!!!!! Our plan is to head to San Diego on Sunday, hopefully the wind will subside enough for us to get the heck out of here. Good luck on your wind issues, hope you can get on the road ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hate the wind. That may be the biggest reason we decided to come back to Florida. Just sit tight until they slow down.

    ReplyDelete