.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Jack to the rescue!!

Spent a good share of the day doing some laundry and going to town for birdseed.  I’ve just been using my on board Splendide washer/dryer rather than hauling everything up to the bunkhouse.  It takes longer, but it saves all the trips back and forth up the road.  I wanted to get things in order for my afternoon visitor.

Along about 4:00 in the afternoon, my good friend Jack (the Bugman) pulled into my site.  He’s staying about 20 miles away outside of Detroit Lakes for a week, so we have some fine adventures together planned since I don’t have to be back to work until Tuesday.

We sat outside chatting for a while, and then I put him to work!  Winking smile First up, he thought he could straighten my bird feeder pole by sticking into his hitch, and bending it back to upright.  It worked like a charm.

_MG_8720

Because of all the rain since I arrived and my reluctance to get up on the roof, I haven’t taken off the zip ties that were holding my awning in place.  Jack to the rescue!  Now I can use the awning again, but it still doesn’t go back in place when it retracts.  He doesn’t have any idea why that is happening.  The nasty winds may have warped part of the arm.  I’ll have to figure out how I’m going to get that repaired.  I forgot to ask his opinion about the busted windshield wiper thingy.  Guess I’ll save that for another day. Who me?

I had asked staff the other day about places to eat since Jack always takes me out for dinner when he visits.  The Ice Cracking Lodge was suggested for a good burger, so that’s where we went.  The Thunder Burgers were good, if too large for me to finish. 

IMG_0009

On the trip back to the rig I suggested we drive the access road to Lost Lake on the refuge to check it out for fishing possibilities.  It was quite a long two track drive to the lake access, but what a surprise along the way.  Down the track, coming toward us was a beaver!  It was soaking wet, and we have no idea where it was going, but it sure was determined to get there.  It would stop, look at us, and come a little further before it stopped again to look us over.  Can you believe I didn’t bring my camera with me on this trip for dinner?  Shockingly, I didn’t.  Luckily, it was once again Jack to the rescue.  All the wildlife pics tonight are his.

After finally getting to the lake access, we decided we’ll give it a try on Sunday morning.  It’s kind of remote, so I’m hoping there won’t be many holiday crowds there.  I know the other bank fishing spot I had in mind will be very busy.

IMG_0019

It was about 7:30 by the time we once again headed for home.  It wasn’t long before I shouted for Jack to stop and back up.  One beautiful bald eagle was majestically perched on a tall dead snag over the water.  When I first started birding, these birds were on the brink of extinction, so it always thrills me when I get to see one.  What a photo op with the setting sun shining on it’s white head.  Giving us the old eagle eye!

Tomorrow I’ll drive over to Jack’s campsite in the morning, and from there we’ll head out on a Roadside America excursion.  I’ve got a number of oddball things on the list to see.

IMG_0011

                                                                             THE END!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

25 comments:

  1. How lucky Jack could take these photos - they are great! It would have been a shame to miss a Bald Eagle, a Beaver, and a man on your roof! Have fun tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read on the "Workamper News" page today that there is a recall on some automatic awnings and the awning company advises not driving the RV until it is repaired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great wildlife pics! Send me an email at carol@mlrhodes.com to talk about my idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great eagle photo. Have fun as you and Jack discover the area. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I forgot all about the wiper.
    Great times for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is good to see some sunshine in your pictures!! Great critter photos as well.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had someone around to give you a hand on a couple of things that you needed a little extra help with. The birds will be happy to have the feeder back.

    We were sitting out tonight and saw a beaver swimming along the shore of our lake. Hopefully we will see it again and get a nice picture of him or her. Glad that you got to see some wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sure is nice to have such a good friend to hang with and fix things for you occasionally. Hope you don't forget your camera for the rest of Jack's visits. Not that there is anything wrong with his he did a fine job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beaver and a bald eagle - how exciting. I would have been happy with just one, but getting to see and photograph two of them is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Give Jack our regards, and keep him busy 'cause he'll get into trouble otherwise. Y'all have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How nice that Jack could come visit again. I know you always have such a good time when he's around.

    I noticed a previous comment about a recall for an automatic and did a Google search to see if ours might be one of the recalled awnings. Fortunately, I don't think ours is, but the link I found is here:

    http://rvnewsservice.com/2013/05/08/recall-tells-thousands-of-rvers-dont-drive-your-rig/


    Have fun and don't forget your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice day you had with Jack. Nice to have a handyman around. I know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful way to spend a few days off. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey have a great weekend with your friend Jack--it's nice he always seems to show up when you need him! :))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you have some interesting things planned.... what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jack to the rescue is right. I think you should just have jack parked right beside you all the time. It's such fun when he's around and his beaver and bald eagle pictures are great. Really - the old eagle eye. What a fantastic picture. What a fat beaver.

    I'm wondering how folks who have the awning problem are supposed to get it fixed if they shouldn't drive their RVs. Hmmmmmmmm Sounds like a lot of business for mobile RV techs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. the bald eagle pic is spectacular. . .they are magnificent creatures. . .the beaver. . .hmmmm. . .well, I love seeing them in the water doing their thing. . .but out on land. . .not so much!

    Glad Jack got your bird feeder pole straightened. . .and hope you get your awning issue figured out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's good to have a friend named Jack who is a Jack-Of-All-Trades. :c)

    I think you're right about the twist in the awning arms, my rear awning arm is sticky, too since I had the problem with the awning motor dying. I'm going to get a straight edge and check it out.

    Great eagle picture, it certainly looks majestic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great pictures! nice to have a chap like Jack who is able to help you out. This morning a garage mechanic came to pick up my car for inspection. I asked him to change the burned-out lights in my garage. He was glad to do it for me. Well, a gal has to ask sometimes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. A Jack of All Trades is a good man to know. Great pic of the Bald Eagle.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jack is a good man to know! Love the bald eagle. Nice regal shot!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It sounds like a good time was had by all. I need about 10 Jacks to show up at my house ~ I have a Honey Do list that's so long I know my Dear Hubby isn't going to get it all done. Thankfully, our son lives close enough and comes over often to help out:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful friend you have in Jack. He's a "keeper!" :-)

    ReplyDelete