.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Monday, August 22, 2011

Whiting Park

I had packed a lunch last night, so Emma and I were on the road bright and early to head for Whiting Park.  Jack-in-the-Box, my GPS, guided us there.  He chose a very interesting route.  It went right through a heavy industrial area near the lake with about 8000 turns along the way.  We made it though.
IMG_3071IMG_3072
These two signs accosted us as we entered the park.  First of all, since my car has South Dakota plates, the parking rate was $15!  Then there was the matter of Emma in the back seat.  Sick smile  What’s a girl to do?
IMG_3062
My solution was to not park anywhere, not eat my picnic lunch at a table, and not let Emma out of the car.  Thank goodness it was early on a Monday morning, and there were no attendants on duty to collect any fees.
_MG_3057IMG_3064
I also did not walk or sunbathe on the mile long beach.  Staying in the car while visiting a nice park is the pits!
_MG_3054
Needless to say, our visit was quite brief.  My main reason for coming here was to see the beautiful Chicago Skyline that was promised in the brochure I had.  The weatherman even said there would be no haze this morning as the humidity was down.
IMG_3070
It is 11 miles as the gull flies from the beach to the skyscrapers.  Somehow, I expected the view to be more breath taking.  Sad smile  Oh well, I guess you just can’t believe everything you read in the promotional materials.
_MG_3058
I bid farewell to the young gulls, and Emma and I headed back the fifty-some miles to the campground where I unpacked my lunch and ate it inside the rig.
On the bright side, Robyn will be arriving late this afternoon to spend the night with me.  It’s a girls night out for her without the grandgirls.  I haven’t had a sleep over in a long time.  Smile

Thanks for stopping by... talk to you later,  Judy

15 comments:

  1. I guess Whiting doesn't want any tourists visiting them. I have also been misled by promotional brochures while traveling. Have a good "sleepover", I enjoy doing that with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it the pits when we get coated with the same brush as non-responible pet owners? I ALWAYS pick up after Luci so feel bad when i can't take her where i want. The Florida beaches were the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can guarantee Whiting is on my list of places I will NOT go to. Have a wonderful sleepover. Sounds like fun. No daughter for me so I don't think my son would go for the idea. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. No dogs allowed! We have a lot of "dogs must be on leash," but they are allowed in most parks.

    Enjoying a park with your canine friend is the best way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer! When we did our tour of Chicago with the Winnebago group, we stopped at Observatory pier, where you get a fantastic skyline view of the downtown. It is much closer to downtown than where you went. We have pictures on the blog from that spot in June 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well phooey on that park!

    I wish I had a daughter for a sleep over ~ but my d.i.l. is simply divine and would suit the purpose, except for three little individuals... if she got a night free from them, she'd probably rather do something else other than have a sleep over with me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, double phooey from me! What an unfriendly park, and $15???? To park???? Are their beaches made of gold? Doesn't look that great to me. Phooey! :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen parks give good rates to residents, which is only fair since their taxes are paying for the parks, but that park blatantly discriminates against out-of-staters. I'll bet the park wasn't too busy, either. Sorry about the no dogs allowed, but that was just as well since I don't think you would have wanted to pay $15 unless you were going to stay all day or maybe camp overnight. And after all that, even the view wasn't the greatest, except that I always like to see skylines, even off in the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'd think that state budgets being what the way it is, they would try a more friendly approach to have more visitors ... look at how many people won't be going there just from reading about your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe a dog would make any more mess than a gull..and you can pick up dog poop. Dumb rules. As for the sleepover, and coming from one fresh off 3 nights of it....take extra vitamins, geritol..and when they leave make sure you have a large bottle of Merlot on hand :-0

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yuk! Someone always spoils it for the rest of us! Have a great sleep over with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes sometimes pictures are painted much better then they really are BUT you made the best of your day... Hope your sleepover was fun!!!
    Have fun & Travel safe
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow didn't realize they'd hit up the out-of-towners when they have people like Oprah paying high taxes. I guess us pee-ons will have to find our fun elsewhere! tisk-tisk! Oh well there's plenty more to see...just move on down the road! Cheers! ~M

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is it me, or does the Sears Tower seem to be leaning? :') Hope the sleepover goes great.

    ReplyDelete