.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Brassieres and Mousetraps?

I finished up my three days in the VC yesterday.  I brought my big camera along with me on Tuesday hoping to get some pictures of the American pipit that hangs around the building.

IMG_9012

We open up at 8:00, and there aren’t very many people that come to visit that early in the morning.  It’s a good time though to watch the birds moving around.

IMG_9023

Several batches of cormorants were on the move heading for the Colorado River.  The early morning light lit up their heads and chests.

IMG_9025

Then I spotted that little pipit perched on one of the cacti in the desert garden surrounding the VC.  This little dude often runs around the sidewalk trying to catch unsuspecting bugs, while all the while doing what I call deep knee bends.  They sure do bob a lot.

IMG_9044

They also don’t sit still for very long.  The next thing I knew, it had flown up to the VC rooftop.  It’s a bit chilly in the mornings in the desert, so it’s kind of puffed up to conserve warmth.  You know, I’m not exactly certain about this ID.  I’ve never seen a pipit that was quite this pale before, and I haven’t spent much time in the desert.  So, if my ID is incorrect, I’d sure appreciate being corrected.

Wednesday is my first day off each week, and I generally spend it doing laundry, grocery shopping, and running errands.  Today was no exception, but I did have the most exciting time doing the laundry that I’ve ever had.  Emma was on her lead outside as I walked to the volunteer building to get the wash out of the dryer.  I made it about half way when I heard her give her unusual bark.  Last time that happened, a rattlesnake was outside our rig.  I immediately did an about face and hot-footed it back to the rig.  No rattlesnake this time, Emma’s hair was standing on edge, and two coyotes were on the other side of the rig!

I waved my arms and shouted, “You guys get out of here!”  They looked my way, gave me the ‘stink eye’ and headed off, but not without sounding a few yips and howls in protest.  I, of course, put Emma back inside before going the short distance to the laundry room.  I’ve heard the coyotes yodeling away many nights here, but I was surprised to see them so close at 9:30 in the morning.

So what do brassieres and mousetraps have to do with all this?  Well, I wanted to talk about Amazon tonight, but I just had to add the encounter with the coyotes first.  Anyway, in the past I’ve maybe ordered something from Amazon once a year.  It seems I’ve lately become a convert.  I’ve never signed up for Prime since I didn’t think it was worth it for me, but now I wonder.  It sure does seem that they deliver about anything you might want.

Last week it was tire covers, RV drawer latches, and a new hummingbird feeder.  Sunday Janna (from Montana) sent me an email telling me where to get the best ever mousetraps… Amazon. 

IMG_1346

Janna sent me two of these traps several years ago when I was experiencing a terrible mouse invasion at Anahuac NWR.  I think they’re the best thing since sliced bread if you have a mouse problem.  I still have those original two traps, but wanted a few more just in case.  I’ve looked for them ever since in any store I’ve been in, but could never find them.  Of course, buying a package of six mouse traps didn’t qualify for free shipping, so I had to beef up my order.  Hence the brassieres.  Turned out they were about half the price of what I’ve paid in stores.  I’ve pretty much always gone to stores to purchase what I need, but I just may change my ways.  It does seem rather convenient when you’re located out in the middle of nowhere. 

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

33 comments:

  1. your title caught my attention today!! hope the bras fit and the mousetraps do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazon Prime rocks. The streaming video is icing on the cake. Thanks for the mousetrap tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your title will catch everyone's attention. Wish I could help on the Pipit but you are my bird expert. Oh boy about the coyotes. I'd think it was really cool except for them being so close and Emma being out. I don't know how you've been on the road so long and able to get the things you need/want without using Amazon. They are just SO easy, especially for you being in one place for a long time. You can get free shipping without Prime. Those of us who are 2 weeks here and 2 weeks there are the prime users of Prime. :-) Just did all my holiday shopping there and with the points back from my credit card it was all FREE. Now that's my kind of shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love Amazon Prime. Much easier to shop from my recliner than in a store. Going to be looking at those mousetraps as soon as I finish here. Happy Thanksgiving.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. My gosh, I would have been scared to face two coyotes. Glad you listened to Emma!

    Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you certainly got my attention! I'll have to remember the mouse traps if we have a problem. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't imagine life without Amazon Prime. And when we are in Q or Yuma - we hang on tight to the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Sandie, Amazon Prime gets most everything to me in two days and the do have it all. If you don't believe me search for caskets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm an Amazon junkie as well. Recently bought my latest running shoes, shoe inserts, Tush Cush, wool pillows, dish towels, and sometimes clothes as well and Wayne buys mechanical items for the truck/rv from there all the time. I hate going to the mall, the stink of perfume and candles gets worse every year and as others mentioned with Prime I get access to great video too. Returns on quite a lot of their items are free and the price is always great! I buy a few things from ebay and get all my smartwool socks from Sierra Trading Post online too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got a special for a year of Amazon Prime. I'll definitely renew. It's amazing they have just about anything I need. Remember when they just sold books?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you got the mouse traps--had to chuckle about the bras! Yes, I do think you can get anything from Amazon Prime. The Prime streaming videos we don't use much as they take too many GB's. If we are in a RV park with good wifi (seldom) we do use the streaming feature of our Prime membership. A few nights ago our basement door was left ajar during the night--when I went down first thing in the morning to put wood in the stove a mouse ran across in front of me and of course I screamed. Shut the door, baited some of those mousetraps and before noon we had caught THREE mice!!!! Happy Thanksgiving Judy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. More great pictures to enjoy - thanks! Love those birds. We like Amazon too. Really has changed our shopping. Happy Thanksgiving Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never used those mousetraps before, so I'm glad you told us about them! I liked the pipit photo! You must be quick to get such a good photo! I looked in my field guide and there is an exact representation of the pipit. I've never seen such a light colored and streak free pipit! Emma, thanks for warning MOM about the coyotes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great bird pics and catchy blog title.

    Happy Thanksgiving and hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 100 years ago folks ordered things from the Montgomery Ward's Catalog. . .now we order from Amazon Prime. . .lifesaver. . .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazon = the old Sears Christmas Wish Book all year around. Sometimes they offer so many choices I wind up not buying anything because I can't decide which to get.

    Good for Emma for warning you and good for you for listening to her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Note to self: Must get some of those mousetraps. Thanks for mentioning them. The skynsure looks blue. Hope the cyotes don't come too,often. I ised to love hearing them at night which is funny because I dislike hearing barking dogs. Go figure!! Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just don't get those bras and mousetraps mixed up... :cD

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's really, really scarey about the coyotes. If Emma was tied up, she might not have made it in a fight with two coyotes. Horrible to think about. I've seen them in the mornings, late afternoons and evenings up here in Quartzsite. I NEVER have Katie off leash, and she is NEVER out of arms length. I just don't trust those guys - I've heard too many stories, although the dogs/cats that were "taken" are usually small dogs like Katie. I've definitely run outside and yelled them away or blown my whistle. They look over in distain, and slowly move away. I've also heard people yell, "Coyote!" which is nice becuase lots of people have their pets tied up outside, and it gives owners a chance to get them. Whew! I'm so glad Emma has that distress bark that you recognize.

    Another Amazon.com convert, yeaaa. If you remember, try to order through someone's blog link - then they will get a small percentage of your purchase price. It won't cost you more, but helps someone add a bit of $$ to their budget for the month. START with their link before you do your research, otherwise they won't get the credit. A lot of fulltimers really need the extra umph each month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Thanksgiving Judy! Love the pipit. Scary about the coyotes...you and Emma be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. we've started putting Irish Spring soap in our compartments to deter mice. Seems like we park in the woods more often than not. anyway, so far no mice!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Howdy and Happy Thanksgiving, Judy, from Kerrville, Texas (and heading west). Jimmy signed us up for Amazon Prime and we really like it. We also got Roku ... which gives us a lot! You just buy the Roku and there's no monthly fee.

    Cute li'l pipit. As we traveled thru south Texas yesterday and today (inc Anahuac), we saw BIRDS! Thought of you ....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Thanksgiving Judy. Kind of unusual to have the coyotes that close to your rig that time of day. Love the pics of the pipit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Coyotes that close are looking for trouble...especially when there are two of them. Doesn't sound like they are too afraid of people either...buggers.
    Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving today, it was -21 F this morning our coldest day this November:(

    ReplyDelete
  25. Our youngest daughter, Chris, has Amazon Prime and swears by it....and..."bra" the way..it's cheaper to get that stuff sent to you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I bet Emma was real happy that you came back and put her out of harms way in the rig:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazon sucked me in about a year ago. I did like you and always ordered enough for the free shipping, so I was ordering more than I planned. It worked well until I ordered something I needed quickly and it ended up coming from China and taking weeks to arrive. I've since gone back to E-bay. I find the prices often to be a little better, I usually get free shipping, don't have to order a set amount AND, most important for me, I can determine ahead of time where the item is coming from. I usually try to order from a seller on the east coast and always stay away from the sellers from China. When I want something, I want it quickly. E-bay works better for me and I don't have to pay for the Prime membership.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The only store I shop at these days is the grocery store ;) Most everything else comes from Amazon...Love that place!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Barbara D made a pitch to "order through someone's blog link - then they will get a small percentage of your purchase price....A lot of fulltimers really need the extra umph each month. :)"

    There are also charities that need some extra umph and they can also be helped when you buy from Amazon.

    You must enter through the web address http://smile.amazon.com however and select the charity that you wish to receive the 0.5% of the purchase price. A bit more time to get it set up the first time but with a quick link button the subsequent Amazon shopping trips are just as quick as going though a blog link.

    ReplyDelete
  30. catchy title …. great birds! I like watching cormorants … fascinating ~ seems they’d break their little necks plunging in the water the way they do ~ TWO coyotes? oh man ~ Amazon is testing drones, y’know … so you will eventually get your order really fast … Emma is going to need her thunder shirt …

    ReplyDelete
  31. It scares me to think the two Coyotes could have attacked Emma! Brave or hungry?

    ReplyDelete