.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Kodachrome Basin State Park

It was cold windy and rainy when I took Emma for her first outs this morning.  Not at all what the weather guessers had predicted.  We hunkered down inside until noon.  The clouds pretty well left, but the wind and chilly temperatures persisted.  The high for today was 49* if you were out of the wind.

_MG_1122

I got a comment on last night’s post that suggested that I had better check to see if the bridge had been repaired on the way to the park.  The road had been shut down for several days because of a flood last Friday.  Luckily, it had been repaired so off we went.

_MG_1123

Thankfully, few of the gazillion tourists in the area decided to do the same thing.  That was very refreshing.

_MG_1128

The drive out to see some sights in the park was quite primitive.  I was wishing I had a Jeep, but the little Focus made it.

_MG_1125

                  I took a picture of Kurt near Chimney Rock just to give you some idea of its immensity.

_MG_1131I found this a very beautiful state park, and one that I could even get my rig into for camping.  There were a number of long pull through sites with water and electric, and the scenery from the camping sites was out of this world. 

_MG_1136

For those of you that are able to do hiking, there are quite a few trails ranging in length from .5 mile to 6 miles in length.  You can certainly tell how this park got its name… a photographers paradise.

_MG_1141Tomorrow we will be hitting the road once again and heading for Cameron, AZ.  I’m thinking Kurt is about full up with being a tourist, and tired of ‘roughing’ it in a 38’ motorhome.  As for me, I need a break from the crowds myself.  I’m interested to see how I’m going to like an RV Resort type atmosphere for three weeks or so as compared to my usual wildlife refuge setting. 

We’ll probably make a bee line down to Casa Grande in the next couple of days, so I doubt I’ll have much to post.  It’s been a great trip so far, but I’m feeling the need to settle for a bit.  I asked Kurt to take in the water hose and dump hose tonight in preparation for our leaving tomorrow.  Temps tonight are supposed to get down to 26*, and I don’t think he’s ready to experience trying to curl up a frozen hose.  Eye rolling smile  I’ll be lucky to get him to stick his nose outside tomorrow morning to help pack up.  (He’s become a bit of a panty waste about cold temps since he moved to AZ. Rolling on the floor laughing)

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you tomorrow,  Judy

26 comments:

  1. I flew over Arizona today and was impressed with what I could see from the plane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This park looks really interesting. I'll have to add it to my list of places to see some day. Safe travels Judy! Head south to find some warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL at Kurt the panty waist. He looks mighty small next to that gigantic rock. I've found that there is no way to show the size of these things without someone in the picture. Your pictures are fabulous. I've never been to this park and am happy to how beautiful it is and to hear that it would be a good place to go with a big rig and for hiking. A high of 49 is too chilly for me. Safe travels back to AZ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a chuckle out of your comment about your brother as well. . .it seems you guys must have a great relationship. . .that's fun!

    Can certainly understand the need to settle comment. . .you've been going, going, going like the Energizer Bunny. . .enjoy the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kodachrome is one of my favorite parks. In 2009 we hiked to an arch there, and I moo'd at the little cows and they followed us and my husband got great photos of them. I hope to get back there someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow those are some great rock formations...stunning...I can see that a photographer would be most happy there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. rats, we are moving over to Panguitch Utah tomorrow and we would have practically been neighbors...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe you called Kurt a panty waste, he was brave enough to put up with you after your hip surgery. That shows how brave of a man he is! :cD

    ReplyDelete
  9. That park is so very lovely. The colors change so much with the sun, clouds and then evening. Safe travels to your next destination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you were able to visit Kodachrome. We stayed there for a few days several years ago and loved it but had no Verizon signal. Maybe that's changed now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Panty waist is a sissy, which is what I think you were calling Kurt AKA Nurse Ratchet. Now panty waste, that is an entirely different thing altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As usual, Ed has caught my misspelling. ;) Panty waist is what I meant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the photos and was so pleased to remember my stay at Kodachrome park. I didn't realize that your RV is 38 feet long...that really "roughing it, Kurt"!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dose your brother read your post. Remember he is also your nurse when you need one. Be kind to him. Great photo's as usual. Just one more thing we have to add to our bucket list. Travel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice photos in my favorite State, Utah. Kelly & I stopped briefly at Kodachrome one day after climbing atop Grosvenor's Arch just down the road aways. Nice to see you out & about in the great South-West:))

    ReplyDelete
  16. A neat park we didn't see during our time in the area, now we see what we missed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I vote with Kurt- get back to AZ where it is warm!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What does your approach to Phoenix look like? You coming in thru Surprise on 60 or in on Interstate 17? The weather here is perfect.... warm during the day and cools off into the 60s at night. No heaters need here right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kodachrome Basin looks wonderful...Will have to try it if we ever get out west again. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm lovin' the fact that you call your 38' motorhome "roughin' it"...This time of year can be a challenge in those areas about now. We would love to visit Big Bend, but when we head in that direction we can hit snow,and that is NOT a good condition to drive in! I have to say that as we age, we much prefer those warmer climates too...Yup, we have both become "Panty Wastes"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at big Bend in 2012. It was well worth the long road from Stockton, TX to get there. I hope to go back again! You would not regret it.

      Delete
  22. I am amazed at the low temps you experienced in Bryce. I didn't realize it was that cold out there. We are still having 60's and 70's here in PA. The scenery is beautifully breath-taking. I will have to put that on my to-visit list as I am considering a much extended trip this time around. Thanks for posting those beautiful photos! Enjoy your time off too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW. What a beautiful place. And great pictures thereof. Will have to get this place on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome shots :) I think you should share your photos on www.voguedrobe.com in the trends category and promote your blog :)

    ReplyDelete