.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Monday, February 17, 2014

I didn’t sign up for this!

I knew when I made reservations to fly into Chicago in February that I would be experiencing cold temperatures that I haven’t been used to for the last eight years.  I’ve been cold since I stepped off of the plane last Wednesday.  I expected that, but today what I was hoping to avoid while here happened anyway.

_MG_9862It seems that Mother Nature had other plans, and the Chicago area was hit with another snow storm.  _MG_9871

After the grandgirls went off to kindergarten and pre-school, Robyn and I had planned to drive into the city to meet my sister, Pam, for lunch at Red Lobster.  With a blizzard raging outside, we had to scrap those plans.

_MG_9872

That’s the mound of snow right along the edge of the driveway of Robyn and Dennis’ house.  What a shame that they only have one shovel, and all I could do was supervise! Eye rolling smile  I’m sure it has been many years since there has been this much cold and snow in Dyer, Indiana.  What a crazy winter all over.

There has been a birthday party, gymnastic lessons, and so many other activities of a young family going on that I’ve had no chance to keep up with my blog readings.  It has been a very good visit.  Avery’s birthday party was on Friday evening, and as usual, Robyn made a special birthday cake.

IMG_9829

The latest rage for little people seems to be the new movie from Disney called “Frozen”.  It’s a fairytale type story about a fair maiden that has powers to freeze things.  So, the cake had the main characters from ‘Frozen’.  I especially liked how Robyn fashioned the ice shards by making a clear type of blue/green candy brittle that could be broken into chunks the color of ice bergs.  While the main characters were store bought, the reindeer crashing through the snow wasn’t.  She made that out of clay and painted it.  I wouldn’t have the patience or the talent to make a cake like this.  And the cake inside was all bright tie dyed colors.

I’ve been so busy that I lose track of time, but I think it was yesterday that Robyn and I were talking about a recent resurgence of her interest in photography.  She took a class a while back, and has joined a local group on-line that has a weekly photography challenge that they are supposed to be creative with.  This week’s subject to get a picture of was a ‘cup’.  I don’t know why, but the first thing that popped into my mind was a bra.  After all, they come in different ‘cup’ sizes, and I told her so.  She chuckled, and that set us off into all the possibilities with a bra.  I won’t go into all of those ideas, but suffice it to say that she thought most were a little too ribald for her group. Surprised smile I do seem to remember something about ‘My Cup Runneth Over”, though…

DSC_3497This was her final submission, with a bubble bath in the background.  Lots more artistic than I would have been.  I guess I’m more literal.  Most other members of the group have submitted pictures of a cup of coffee, and Robyn has received very few comments on her photo.  I’m thinking these other people are a little prissy, and don’t know how to think out of the box.  What do you think?

I’ll be flying back to Houston tomorrow… I need to rest up after this whirlwind week.  I didn’t sign up for a snow storm, but I wouldn’t have missed any of the other enjoyments for all the tea in China!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy   

29 comments:

  1. I'll bet that nice warm bubble bath sounded pretty good to you after being out supervising all that snow removal activity, eh? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably should be thankful it was a one snow shovel operation, you're probably out of practice operating such machinery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to fly away from the snow, I always say. I'm flying today (Tuesday) too...have been in Alabama visiting family and headed home to Michigan, where, unfortunately I hear it is snowing. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake is excellent. I have read so many reviews about that movie. I think I would love to see it.

    Excellent idea for the cup photo. I like the bubble bath touch in the background.

    Hope you can fly out of there. Ohio just got another huge hit yesterday. When will it all end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow is Robyn talented. That cake is gorgeous. I hope Avery will remember this birthday clearly. I did some pretty amazing things for Carrie and there are only a few that she remembers. I don't remember even one birthday party from my childhood and I'm sure I must have had them. I think her group is a little tightly strung if they don't find her submission more artistic than a coffee cup. I'm sure serious professional photographers would. That's a great picture. Hope she got in that warm bath.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a literal thinker - I would take a picture of a cup. So I love Robyn's picture. Wish I could get my mind to work more like that. Looking at the weather right now and it doesn't look pretty. They're talking about flooding when all that snow starts to melt. What a winter this has been. We're having record heat. Which means AZ will have fires. In fact, we've already had two small ones. Enough. Glad you had such a great time with the family. That does make it all worth while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your flight won't be cancelled and that you arrive safely back in Texas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great that you and Robyn had fun "creating". That cake is a delight and the Cup picture is perfect. If I can't come up with something different than everybody else, I don't wanna play and there is nothing wrong with that attitude!

    Glad you got a taste of winter, everybody should!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cup idea was perfect. Those old sticks-in-the-mud ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robyn is very creative--the cake is amazing & the cup photo is brilliant! Thinking outside the box is great brain exercise! Safe journeys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Robyn's photo and the cake. She is very creative. Don't you dare shovel snow! Your shoulder will not forgive you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very neat cake and Robyn's cup picture is very creative. She may need to find another photography group because creativity is what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the cup photo, and it's a very pretty bra. Sometimes our photos don't get the response we expect, and other times a really simple photo gets lots of attention. Who knows why?

    I understand completely about losing time with grand kids. I've left my kids' house and am in a doctor's parking lot. I have another today and one tomorrow and then I'm on my way, I hope. Meanwhile, I ended up with a sinus infection or something yesterday. That always seems to happen when I visit the kids, and I feel rotten. At least it waited until I left and all the activities were over. Take care of yourself - some Airborne or Vit C maybe? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now wondering if my granddaughters back east are into that movie too. That cake is sure a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Frozen seems like it was a very appropriate movie title for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the photo. I'm surprised more people didn't think outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a darling cake! Robyn is very artistic! AND I love the photo of Robyns! We are at Palmetto Island in Louisiana and will be heading west on Thursday! Trying to remember where you had that delish po boy! We haven't had one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes I think those photo group people are prissy. I liked her photo ! The cake is marvelous..very creative. Stay warm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Robyn did an awesome job on the cake (and shoveling the snow)....very creative! I bet it was a huge success at the party. I loved the cup picture! That was also very creative.....must be a lot of fuddy duds in her group.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE Robyn's artistic interpretation of a "cup"...Sparkles and bubbles...very cool! Too bad you had to get that blizzard...I think they get one about every 6-7 days up there..We have had beautiful days here this week...upper 70's and some 80's..

    ReplyDelete
  21. We've been in the 80's the last couple of days here in Texas. You'll be able to thaw out when you get back!
    That cake is awesome! She is very talented.
    I think the photo is very artistic and any prissy folks should pay more attention to the real world.
    Teri
    markteri.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. That cake was amazing! Almost too good to eat. Very, very clever!

    I'd expect you to take a bra picture...being worn by a Sandhill Crane. :cD

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very artistic ... love the cup photo.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The photo is excellent - arty and gives a hint of a story . . . Well done, Robyn.

    ReplyDelete
  25. great photo, those people need to get their head out of the sand
    yep midwest has been the pitts this year

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't believe an artistic group of photographers didn't at least comment on her picture. I can't help but wonder if most didn't 'get' it.

    What a great cake! My granddaughter loved Frozen, too, but Dad, Grandpa, and I didn't think it was that great! Not any real endearing characters as in so many of the Disney movies of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful cake -- and love the cup photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Could it be the resurgence in photography for Robyn is the great pics that you take and share on your blog? I am with you, I don't like the cold and snow.
    What a good idea of the cup photo.

    ReplyDelete
  29. OK, I have made a note to myself to never go north in Feb again:)

    ReplyDelete