.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Friday, February 14, 2014

A fish tale

This is going to be one of those catch up blog posts that happen to us bloggers when we are more than BUSY!  I’ll just hit some of the highlights of the last three days.  I awoke early on Wednesday morning as I was excited about my trip to the Chicago area to see my daughter, Robyn, and her family.  I had my bag packed, was checked in electronically to my flight from Hobby Airport in Houston, and had everything timed down to the last minute for my departure.  I had to drop Emma off at the kennel on my way to the airport and planned to just leave the car in the extended parking area there.

Everything was fine until, at the last moment, I got an automated call from Southwest Airlines that my flight had been cancelled!  That put me into a slight panic, but I weathered that storm and made new reservations for later in the day.  That flight wasn’t cancelled, and I just delayed my action plan for three hours.  I got a little more panicked as five of the parking areas were full at the airport, but I finally found a spot.

After checking my bag, I headed for the security check lines with what was a slightly bewildered look on my face, I guess.  I haven’t flown in quite a few years, and wasn’t quite sure what problems my bionic hip would cause.  I needn’t have worried.  A guard at the front told me to use the pre-scanned line that had very few people in it.  I didn’t have to take off my shoes or take my laptop out of my backpack.  I just stood in a tube thing with my hands over my head, and it was done.  The rest of the trip went smoothly, and I had a fantastic view from my window seat of the Chicago skyline along Lake Michigan, as the plane looped out over the frozen lake on approach to Midway Airport.

I spent most of the day on Thursday riding along with Robyn as she completed a couple of her Life Vest work appointments.  We chatted up a storm as many miles were involved between appointments. 

DSC_3366

When we got back, I was tasked with helping my four year old grandgirl, Phoebe, get her Valentine cards ready for pre-school the next day.  We made a pretty good team, and spent some time giggling along the way.

_MG_9814

                                                    “You want me to do what Grandma Belt???”

As Robyn and Dennis were getting dinner ready, I decided it would be a good time to teach Avery how to talk to a fish.  You can see that she was a little skeptical.  She knew that I would be giving her a goldfish for her sixth birthday and was very excited about it, but had no idea of the proper way to talk to her new pet.  Winking smile

DSC_3371

                                  Now is that a good fish face or what?!  (Ignore the wrinkles please) 

DSC_3373                               I just had to show her how it was done, and she was an avid student!  Open-mouthed smile

DSC_3375

                                                          Not bad for learning a new language!

Today was the big day for picking out the fish.  We went to the local Petco store, and it only took about 30 seconds for Avery to find the goldfish of her dreams. 

IMG_0538

It’s name is ‘Goldie’, and Avery never let it out of her hands until we got back home.  Precious times with precious grandgirls…

Notice the winter coat and hat?  Did I mention that it is dang cold up here in northeast Indiana?  It was 4* when I got up yesterday.  What was I thinking when I planned this trip???  You Grandparents know the answer to that, but I’m freezing!!!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

26 comments:

  1. Love the fish face! And yes, probably every grandparent can relate to doing crazy things for our grandchildren. Sorry the weather couldn't have been a bit warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wrinkles? Loved the fish faces! I bet there were plenty of giggles. Oh the things that build wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun!! Well all but the cold! Clearly you are fluent in "Fish". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was sure hoping you wouldn't have flight problems due to all the rotten weather to the north. Glad it wasn't too bad. Love the fish faces. Such precious times with your grandchildren!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the owl photo and your fish face! Your grandchildren will remember fish faces for probably ever!! Creating memories with grands is such great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making memories! You have beautiful grandgirls, I am certain that Goldfish has a great home:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable pics!!! I'm sure the girls will be showing all their friends how to talk fish just like Grandma Belt taught them! What a great time you all are having!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it, love it, love it! And yes us grandmas know! What adorable grangirls. I just bet Avery will be speaking fluent "fish" before you leave!
    Glad you are safe. You might have cold hands and feet, but I just know you are warm where it counts....the heart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make me laugh Judy--fun times teaching "fish talk!" Enjoy the rest of your visit and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun. All my grandkids are adults now but oh the memories. Have a wonderful visit and try to stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness...how cute is that Avery trying to make that face. I miss the days we made Valentine cards with the kids. What a neat way to bond with your granddaughter. So glad you are having such an awesome time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. After seeing how great your fish face was, I think we need to see pictures of your bird face. After all, you spend much more time talking to them! :cD

    You certainly are enjoying your time with Avery, precious moments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great fish face. Learning language skills from Grandma Belt will ensure good communication with Goldie. Fun times, just don't freeze before you get back south.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you are enjoying time with your grand girls.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope your grandgirl knows not to use tap water in Goldie's bowl. I made that mistake with my goldfish, Spot.

    Have fun, and hurry back to warm weather!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you got out of town with just a short delay. I know a ton of flights have been completely cancelled with this awful icy weather in so much of the country.

    Grandgirls are precious! I want to hear more about the fish and it's new home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. According to our kids, making a "fish face" is the new picture pose....Glad you made it to the frozen tundra...have a great time with your family...Weather here was 84 yesterday..just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love making faces for my nieces and nephews - they love 'triangle' eyes - which works best with wrinkles. I'll have to try the fish face. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great fish face, Judy. But, I will refrain from calling you the "Fish Lady" and stick with "Bird Lady" as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the fish face. Teri does a good one, so we'll have to get you two together sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looking at your fish face picture, it somehow popped into my head the image of my mother telling me to imagine my face frozen in the expression she did not like. I wonder why:))

    ReplyDelete
  22. From what I read, your delay was on the short side! We have found Hobby Airport to be relatively easy to get around.

    Fish faces?

    Thanks for sticking with my blog with all the issues related to it. Didn't want to toss it for a new one, but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aw, that's sweet, Judy. But, I'm with you... 4 degrees is COLD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. awww. . .what a wonderful Granma you are. . .goldfish. . .fish faces. . .help with Valentines. . .but especially 4*. . .now that is Grands devotion. . .yikes! Enjoy. . .

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad you made it safely, enjoy your time there.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I remember getting my first tropical fish - zebra danio and neon tetras. Unfortunately I didn't know about chlorinated water (which was so strong you could taste it in Louisiana) and after the first change of water in the bowl they were belly up. But I persisted, and I don't know how I did it, but I persuaded my mom to let me keep about five aquariums in the den. You never know what that one goldfish will lead to!

    ReplyDelete