.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Life through the eyes of a seven year old

When I was down in Rochester in July, my plan was to take all of my kids and grandkids out to dinner at the Hubbell House Restaurant in Mantorville, MN.  Of course my getting sick that weekend meant we had to cancel those plans.

It is a well known restaurant in the area with a lot of history.  The building was originally an inn and eating place for folks traveling along by stagecoach back in the 1800’s.  The original building is still there, but it is now only a fine dining place.

IMG_0194

Robyn and Dennis and their girls couldn’t make it this weekend up from Indiana, but the rest of us had a jolly old time.  On the left is little Ruby, her mother Kelly, and brother Seth.  On the right is seven year old Joseph with his dad Andy behind him, and Dan and Crystal at the back.  I had the perfect seat next to Ruby, and across from Joseph.

IMG_0195

Grandson Seth didn’t show up very well in that first shot, so here’s a better look at him.  He’ll be starting first grade on Wednesday.  He’s the nature lover of Andy and Kelly’s three children.  I’m hoping he and I will be having some special times together in the future.

IMG_0196

Having a three year old beside me, and a seven year old, Joseph (aka: Flat Joey), across from me made for a very interesting meal.  I think Ruby is going to grow into being a real pistol of a little girl, and I truly treasured the time spent talking with Joey.  Seven is such an interesting age.

He was just bursting at the seams to tell me about all the things he has learned and done since I last saw him.  He demonstrated his prowess at reading, and we worked together on a puzzle.  Then, the real fun for me started.  Joseph asked if I traveled all over the world.  I told him that I mostly traveled all over the United States.  Then he asked, “ Have you ever been to France?”  I said, “No, but I flew to Spain a couple of years ago, and then traveled on a boat for some time to get back to the United States.”  His response to this was, “Oh, no wonder you are so old!”  Surprised smile

He then began to reminisce about when he was about four or five years old.  (Like that was a very long time ago..Smile)  After ruminating a while he said, “Back then, I think you had sort of greyish blonde hair, but now it’s white!”  I told him that was true, and that I was pretty much older than dirt now.  He was satisfied with that answer.  To end that conversation, he told me that he liked me as much as his other grandma, but she was much younger.  What a hoot!  Don’t you just love the open honesty of seven year olds?  I do!

I left Rochester this morning and drove the 300 miles back to Tamarac.  It was a wonderful visit; I got my medical stuff taken care of, but I’m sure happy to be home.  The ever vigilant Emma was on patrol for interlopers when I hooked her outside after our arrival this afternoon.  I refilled the bird feeders, and before you knew it, she actually caught a marauding 13-lined ground squirrel!  EEK!  I think it shocked her too.  After pouncing on it, she backed off and just looked at it.  It has now left this world, and I’m rather sorry about that.  I never thought she’d catch one of those little buggers.

IMG_0197

After further visiting with Andy and his family after dinner at Hubbell House on Saturday, he gave me a call after I had left that I had forgotten my camera.  I returned to get it, and when I got home this afternoon there was a surprise picture on it for me.  Andy took this shot of my Minnesota grandkids.  See you next year Joseph, Ruby, and Seth!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

25 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time. I think that 7-9 year olds are the best. Old enough to listen and comment. Not old enough to know everything.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful time with your grands. One thing I miss about having older grandkids, is the extemporaneous comments. I bet Joseph is a real fun kid.

    Once when Russ was working out of town and Rusty was just a youngster, he brought me TWO dead squirrels in one night - into the house. I think it was his way of telling me he would take care of me even if Dad was gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "To end that conversation, he told me that he liked me as much as his other grandma, but she was much younger."

    HAHaaaaa ... love it and yes I do love a child's honesty... and total looks of wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely grandchildren. Lucky you! I too just love the honesty of children. I asked a friend's grandson once how old he was. He said six, how old are you. I said how old do you think. He said oh you must be at least thirty. I just burst out laughing and he had no idea why. Older than dirt - wow, if I could still hike and kayak, I'd love to get to be as old as dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! We see our kids and grandkids once a year when we are in their area every summer! I enjoy our time together so much...maybe even appreciate our time together even more since we are so far apart in the winter. Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always admire your way with photography, but this time I'll admit that Andy's picture of the kids is my favorite. There's just nothing like young kids... it's so much fun to see the world through their eyes (and the words from their mouths ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy you were well this time and able to enjoy the visit.
    Yes kids do say what is on there minds. I had a cyst on my lower lid that had turned white. My grandson was in the hospital so I brought him crayons and drawing paper. As we sat there drawing he kept looking at my face. Finally he said, Nana you have a big zit on your eye, your should pop it. I had it removed the next week. LOL I laugh every time I remember how serious he was.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your conversation reminds me that's what I miss most about teaching Kindergarten and First Grade.

    Beautiful grand kids! Glad you had a nice visit. And all the doctor visits are over!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad the kids were able to humble you. Great looking bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good looking grands! I love how naturally honest children are:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grandchildren are precious. Yours sound delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good looking crop of Grandchildren you have there :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Out of the mouth of babe! They are too cute.

    I am not sure we will ever have grandkids, but I certainly enjoy reading about other people's grandkids. You are one blessed lady to have such a wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It seems that you and I have the same conversations with out grandchildren! They sure are brutally honest sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, the things children will say--we should write this stuff down (I guess your blog has done that) so we can show it to them years later!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Funny how kids perceive things!! At least you have the good humor not to be offended. I think Seth resembles you!! Glad you had a great visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It must be so hard to see the grand kids a few times a year!
    They are a very cute bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your grandkids are adorable, they certainly liven up your life. Too bad they've found out you are older than dirt. Now we all know. :cD

    It must be hard to leave them, they sure enjoy your visits.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Grandchildren are a great way to keep a person humble. That must have been one of the most memorable dinner conversations you've had in a long, long time. You have a great looking family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So much fun. Those kids are alive and well. I love it when they 'reminisce' about things that occurred so long ago - 2 years!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh, I miss that age. . .mine are all teens, and still think we are as old as dirt. . .ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My grandson Adam has never been very talkative...could be because is mom and dad are both chatterboxes.
    Remember the TV program Art Linkletter had "Kids say the darndest things"? Glad you had a good time. See you soon

    ReplyDelete
  23. Grandkids are so precious. I'm really missing mine right now. But at least we are pointed east and will be able to be with them for a while before we head back to the southwest right after Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete