.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I took your advice

I was out this morning to paint another 20 or so posts, but I didn’t use my right arm at all.  I’ll be giving it a rest from painting.  Of course, using my left arm only had its own results.  Using your not dominate arm and hand to do things can be a little awkward.  At one point, vigorously slathering on the paint with my left hand resulted in a huge blob of paint flying through the air and landing directly on my glasses and nose.  Uf-dah!  I’m sure glad I’ve dedicated an old pair of jeans and one shirt to this painting assignment.  It took me a while to get things cleaned up so I could see to continue.  Smile with tongue out

In the afternoon, it was time to experience a new assignment.  I sure would like to report that it was something very exciting like capturing and banding waterfowl, but I’m afraid it was rather mundane.  So sorry to those of you that said you couldn’t wait to hear what I would be doing.

IMG_9441This refuge, like many others, supports recycling paper, glass, tin, batteries, cardboard, and plastics.  I think Steve made the last recycling run in June, so the garage that is dedicated to recyclables was close to overflowing.  I figured it would take several trips to the recycling center in Detroit Lakes to empty that garage.

IMG_9442

What a job it was to clean all of that up, but somehow loading the bed of the truck and the back seat, we got everything stuffed in for only one trip.  We had over 90 pounds of glass alone, so you know I had to have some help getting everything into the truck bed.  The recycling place is an experience in itself, but I didn’t take any pictures of that noisy place.  I was happy to support recycling rather than just filling up our landfills with all of this stuff.

Word has gotten around that I was thinking of returning here next year, so I was asked if I could help with the bird festival in May, 2014.  I was also assured that I would be leading bird tours in May and June.  It hasn’t been a snap decision for me to return to Tamarac next year.  I’ve been thinking about it for quite some time.  I’ve weighed all the pros and cons, and think this is a good fit for me.  It’s a beautiful RV site, I’ll be doing bird stuff, most of my kids and grandkids are within a day’s drive, and then there’s the bread, malts, and sponge candy in the area.  What’s not to love about all of that?  Maybe next year I’ll get a chance to get a picture of one of those wolves.

Tomorrow I’ll be doing some mowing since the rain over the weekend has helped the burnt out grass come back to life.  Neil, the refuge manager, is rather picky about the weeds surrounding the temporary headquarters that grow no matter if it rains or not, so I’ll be mowing those down to make him happy.  Time to get those steel-toed boots on again.  Winking smile

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

29 comments:

  1. Being close to the kids is nice, but all that good food ought to close the deal:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the best of all worlds for you. Food, family, and friends. And, your own John Deere. What more can a heart desire?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter saves and redeems her recyclables, so I decided to add mine to hers. The money goes into the kids' savings accounts. She has plenty of outdoor & garage space to save her stuff but I don't have much room. I'd quit doing it but am too hooked now to stop.

    I don't think I got to see your steel toed boots when I was there. I wish someone would buy me a new pair of boots, but I don't need the steel toes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't it seem strange to make a commitment now for the coming year? The refuge manager in Maine just e-mailed us about our returning to Aroostook next summer... yes, we want to. But... at this point in our lives we're aware that "things" can happen, despite what "we" want. Sometimes we have a hard time deciding what to do next week... I guess the best we can hope for is that everything happens as it should. Your decision sure sounds like the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we worry about 'things' that can happen we may end up doing nothing but worrying about "things" that may happen.
      I much prefer the attitude George Burns had. He signed a five year contract to play Caesars Palace in Las Vegas when he was 87 years old. Then said at that time, ``They wanted to make it 10 years, but how do I know the hotel will last that long?``

      Delete
  5. Maybe we can meet up again. I'm thinking about heading for the Great Lakes next summer. You would be but a detour away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely sounds like a good fit for you and adding even more bird things will make it even better. Hope the weather isn't so hot. Sure would love to get up there and take a birding tour with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this has been a good fit for you. Having the family close by is a huge plus. Glad they are going to have you lead the bird tours. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We recycle as much as we can in the rig. We haul a lot of it with us trying to find a place to take it. I wish more campgrounds would have recycle bins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sure like it when you do bird stuff!

    Glad you made the decision to be close to family, friends and sponge cake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In California and Oregon, there seems to be a recycling place about every mile. Have yet to see one in Idaho. Except for the mosquitoes, I'd say that this is a perfect place for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Judy! We recycle too. Yes the grass is growing here too, I thought we were done with mowing...but perhaps the flowers will perk up! I would bet that there are worse places to be and there won't be as many poles to paint next year:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have found ... that most of my stuff is recyclable... the recycle people pick up every other week. Since it's only me... I looked at my garbage today and declared... everything in here is recyclable.

    I throw garbage stuff down the garbage disposal. I like that. So, from now on... I only need to tote one bin out to the driveway every other week. hate toting bins to the front of the driveway.

    I think this is a beautiful place and have enjoyed your visits with your family and the birds and well, the post painting made me tired ... especially in the heat... so surely all the posts will hold their paint for a while?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spilled paint on yourself? That's called blending in with your surroundings. As to returning next year? Great idea! The skeeters would go hungry otherwise... :cD

    ReplyDelete
  14. You should be left handed and live in a right handed world. You learn to use both hands.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like you've found a good fit there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. At least next year those posts should not need painting again :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of time to think, while painting posts!!! So glad you decided to come back next year. It sounds like a win-win for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are glad to see the COE park in Wisconsin we are at (until later today) supports recycling.

    Funny how dry weather kills the grass but never the weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. For us 'retired' people we know that "plans" are not necessarily etched in granite. But, as I'm finding in my new life, plans, no matter how tentative or positive, give our lives goals to look forward to. I agree; some of the activities you've participated in may not be super exciting or enticing, but you are making a difference for the better of us all.
    I love your photography; I can't tell you often enough!

    ReplyDelete
  20. When does tick season start?? I might come visit you if I can head it off!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Recycling is always a good endeavor. It sounds like a good decision for you to return next year with many advantages. I look forward to more photos of the area.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You posts are always so colorful, especially after painting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Go for the gusto! Live every day as if it were your last, that's what I say. Sure wish I could do that, but our elders are becoming a real thorn in our side.....We may have to make some hard decisions about this Winter..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like your return will be a good fit for you and a benefit to the sanctuary.

    ReplyDelete
  25. travel insurance is very important when it comes to traveling. You will know whats going to happen so you must have a assurance

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats, birds, family, posts, maybe a wolf next year.

    ReplyDelete