.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Another first for me today

Well, I sure am enjoying that automatic DISH satellite locator.  For almost eight years I’ve been dragging my portable and its heavy holder out every time I’m some place for more than a day or two.  It’s hard on my back and can be more than a little frustrating at times to find the signals; especially if I’m in an area with a lot of sounds that interfere with my hearing the different pitched hums from the receiver.  Just punch a button, wait about five minutes, and everything is ready to go.  Today I love advances in technology.

After lunch, the knock on the door let me know that I had to pack things up for Thibodeaux’s to move the rig back into the building to have my routine maintenance done.  I unhooked the water and electric, and brought in the slides.  That’s when it dawned on me that I hadn’t had the DISH automatically turn off and fold up for travel.  You need electricity to do that.  Rats!  So, I turned on the generator and got it done.  I have to figure out a way to remind myself to put the dish down before I unplug from electrical power. 

I thought of tying  a bright piece of fabric to the steering wheel, but by the time I get to the steering wheel I’ve generally already disconnected from power.  A reader suggested that I hang my keys on the handle of the cabinet where the disconnect button is located, but that just won’t work for me for several reasons.  I’m now thinking I’ll tie something on the electrical cable to remind myself not to pull the plug until I fold up the DISH.  That might work best for me.

Anyway, I had several hours to kill before the rig would be out of the shop, and I just didn’t want to sit around in the heat.  So, I drove around the area instead. 

IMG_0614

I put off stopping at Don’s Specialty Meats for as long as I could, but I knew I wanted to stop here and pick up a few things.  Don’s has lots of Cajun meat type things as well as a limited butcher counter.  They are most known for their Boudin and Cracklins. 

76 On the way to Tamarac 20142

I really like their pork chops from the butcher’s case, and usually pick up a small tray of Cajun chicken patties.  Remember that I’m from the Midwest, and my pallet prefers meat, potatoes, gravy, and a vegetable.  I’m not into spicy foods, and the last thing on earth I’d eat is something with jalapeños in it! Smile with tongue out  But the coarsely ground chicken patties have no jalapeños…  Only salt, red pepper, black pepper, and green onions in them.  They’re a spicy enough burger type thing for me.

As I went to check out, I asked the cashier what those things were in a container under a heating lamp.  She said they were ‘Cracklins’.  It seems like every time I visit Louisiana I have some kind of minor stomach ailment, so I’ve never tried Cracklins before.  My stomach was fine today, so I told her I’d never tasted them, and she gave me a sample.  Then she asked me, with an incredulous look on her face, “Where are you from?”  To make things simple, I just said South Dakota.  She just shook her head. 

As I left the store, I had my first bite of a Cracklin.   Oh my goodness!  It was hot!  I crunched down on one bite and it was also a little spicy, but…what a delicious artery clogging taste!  I think I could get addicted to Cracklins.  I wonder if you can buy a little bag and then reheat them in the microwave for that hot and spicy taste?  Would they get soggy?  I’m going to find out.  Don’s has a big gravel pullout for trucks and big rigs, so I’m going to get a small bag to snack on when I leave here on Friday.  I’ll be ‘cracklin’ down the highway!  Winking smile

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

28 comments:

  1. I've lived nearly my entire life in the south but I was born in the meat, potatoes and vegetable mid west. I'm with you on not too spicy please. Laughing at you and cracklins! Glad you love your dish. It's always nice to be really pleased with someone you paid some bucks for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you hang around much longer we will have you over to Crawfish Town USA eating crawfish étouffée. It's unreal what cracklings sell for now. My husband came in with a small bag today that was $16.99 a pound. They use to almost give them away to get rid of them. Not all places put as much red pepper. Some are too hot for me. They are addictive for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does this mean you are on your way to beautiful Minnesota? Don't pack your longies just yet, if you are! Seems like you were talking about seeing your brother or someone on the West Coast?

    Cheers,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never have had cracklins. Being from Montana - beef and more beef with a little chicken thrown in with potatoes, gravy and corn. I like it when you do something that makes life easier for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd give my right arm for some boudin or other cajun foods, Just remember, you're not gonna find this stuff up there in the land of lutefisk and gjetost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I'm cackling with laughter at imagining the look on your face as you tried cracklins! :cD

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yum. . .cracklins! Actually, everything you picked up at the meat market sounded great to me. . .but I love me a good jalapeno too!

    Glad you love the satellitedish. . .everyone does hafta figure out a reminder for themselves. . .we chased down a coach pulling out of a campground once with their satellite still up. . .yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, yes. Cracklin's are the best. What used to be the leftovers from cooking out lard, is now a high dollar snack food. As you said, not too healthy, but mighty tasty. Most places that sell them have both mild and spicy. Really think you should try some boiled crawfish before you head North.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It snowed today so don't be in a hurry to get to Minnesota. The ice is going off the lakes though..20 days earlier than last year.. I like cracklins too:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am afraid I am with you in that I only eat bland things (according to others) also.... spicy things just set off the stomach for problems ahead.... guess Oregon is like the mid-west in that.... :0 You are brave to try the cracklins...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You never ate bags of Jays Pork Rinds in Chicago? They came with a little packet of hot sauce. I'm sure the fresh made ones are much better than the processed ones, but I don't eat them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never had Cracklins either....
    We always lower the dish the night before we leave when we turn off the TV.....so far so good!
    I did get the awning all caddy cornered when we got here though...I forgot it was strapped and pushed the button to open it....OOPS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never heard of Cracklins, but have eaten pork rinds! My Dad used to make them when I was a kid. Loved them. In fact, I haven't heard or thought of them for years.

    ReplyDelete
  15. April 24, 2014

    Hi

    How about when you are putting in the slideout, it is the time to put down the dish.
    Now we had stopped in Quartzsite over night going east to Mesa. The television was used over night and the electric cord was not used “boondocking” on BLM land. I drove most of the way before putting down the dish.

    George

    http://busterstravelsgeo-bon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Even though I'm from the south I'm not a fan of cracklins!! Glad you are enjoying your new auto dish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So happy for you about the ease of the dish...maybe one should be in our future. We love cracklins.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't you have an inverter? That would give you power to put the dish down.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Remember that I’m from the Midwest, and my pallet prefers meat, potatoes, gravy, and a vegetable. "

    What I refer to as Two Bread Country - you get a choice in the Midwest you can have white or wheat. A really upscale place may have rye.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with Diana ... the power used to power the dish up and down is not much, and your house batteries should surely handle it. The satellite is just going to be one more thing in your routine, and it will be second nature after a while. The comment about pulling in the slide made me think about putting a label on the slide controls to remind you about the dish. You will find the perfect spot. You could also laminate a hang tag with all the "things to do" and keep it near the driver's seat. Traveling alone is tougher than having a partner for back-up! We rely on each other to walk around the rig and check each other's work. No worries ... you are sharp and thoughtful about your procedures. Well ... except maybe with big lawnmowers that have roll bars!! LOL!! And, in the grand scheme of things ... THAT was a minor mishap. I might have cause real damage! Travel safe and be well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I will feed them to Craig, he will eat anything! I might try them too when we get to that area.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ever since we started RV'ing we've used a 'checklist' to make sure that everything that needs to be done before leaving our site and after arriving at a new one is checked off the list. It's done in order so that electrical power is usually the last done when leaving and one of the first upon arrival. It's simple and it works.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have never tried Cracklin. I don't know any one that has. I may just take your word for it and try it the next time I see it. Thanks for the endorsement.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like things are finally getting easier!! That satellite has got to be the bee's knees!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love cracklins, straight or in cornbread! If you can find them Mac's Cracklins are really good, look where you find potato chips.

    ReplyDelete
  26. what are cracklins? We must think about a satellite soon.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think I'll pass on cracklins - I just looked them up - pig fat with a small amount of skin attached. Give me a good piece of fish, a chicken breast, or a filet Mignon - no fat, no skin. Everyone always says the fat and seasoned skin give meat it's great flavor, but I just can't do it.

    Lucky you with your new TV reception set-up. It sounds wonderful! Don't you just love these upgrades that make life easier? :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Growing up we got our cracklins from rendering lard, no skin involved. Very good and would get them if possible.

    ReplyDelete