.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Time with friends

There was a respite from the rain today, but the temps stayed in the low 40’s with a stiff north wind blowing all day.  This morning I was waiting for some friends to arrive.  I had never met these friends in person, but never the less, I was happy to welcome them to the refuge.

_MG_9678Some of you may recognize Catherine and Jo Beth from the Living the Dream blog.  They’re headed to San Antonio for a family gathering for Thanksgiving, so we had a chance to meet on their journey there.  Many of you know how it goes with meeting up with fellow RVers and bloggers.  Good times!  Check out their blog for their version of the day.

After Emma, and their Grace had a chance to meet up, we piled into their truck for a refuge tour.  Not the best of days for visiting, and Jim, the volunteer at the VIS, reported that folks hadn’t been seeing much on the auto tour today.  We took a drive around Shoveler Pond anyway, and I think we saw lots of things.

Despite the cold temps, we even saw a couple of alligators.  With the brisk wind, many of the birds that would normally fly off at our approach stayed put in their secluded locations.  There was a big flock of about 1200 snow geese in one of the moist soil units as we made our way to Shoveler Pond, and we saw lots of whistling ducks of both species, as well as most all of the herons and other ducks that call this place home for the winter.

Of course I always bring my cameras with me, but when I’m showing folks around it’s more important to me that they get to see things and use their cameras.  So, I don’t have many pics from today’s excursion.

Bird wise, for me, today’s highlight was observing a feeding frenzy that I’d never seen before.  As we were on the last segment of the auto tour, a good sized group of Neotropic Cormorants discovered a large school of small fish in the water.  They were all diving underwater like crazy, and fighting over the fish that were caught.  Then some egrets came in to try to steal the fish away out of their mouths.  What a hoot!  I was on the wrong side of the vehicle for any pictures, so I just enjoyed the moment.

IMG_5072

After leaving the refuge, we headed back along FM 1985.  This road is especially good for viewing red-tailed hawks and kestrels.  My only other picture from the day is this one of the Krider’s subspecies of red-tailed hawk.  This very pale subspecies nests in the northern plains of the continent.  You can see how fluffed up it is to combat the cold windy conditions today.  There is usually one of these birds along this road each winter.

The whole time we were touring around, Grace was sound asleep in the back seat.  What a nice calm dog she is.  A big contrast from my wild Emma who was back in the rig.  After being treated to a tasty lunch at a place in Winnie, where they could have turned the heat up a bit, I bid farewell to Catherine and Jo Beth.  I hope the weather warms for them a bit for their time in San Antonio along the River Walk.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

20 comments:

  1. So glad you got to meet Catherine and Jo Beth and of course the wonderful Miss Grace. Aren't they all terrific. So sorry it wasn't a good day for one of your wonderful tours. I'm still hoping to get out your way before you leave in April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure wish this weather wasn't so lousy for all of us. But I'm sure Catherine and Jo Beth had a great time regardless. That bird is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice visit! I'll be checking out their blog as well.
    What a beautiful bird! Hope your weather improves...all that rain, wind and cold is headed our way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice! You met up with some super folks. Even with the lousy weather, I'm sure they enjoyed your tour, I know we enjoyed the tour you took us on to see the Sandhill Cranes. RVers make great friends, especially when you get to meet live and in person. :c)

    PS: I guess you weren't able to talk them into washing your motorhome...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The outsiders hawk photo is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you met Catherine and JoBeth. I had the pleasure of spending an afternoon with them at The Witte Museum and San Antonio and lunch and La Madeleine. Didn't get a chance to meet Grace, however.

    As I'm typing this, we're getting rain again. AND it's cold! This storm seems to have almost the whole country in its grip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and now we're getting loud thunder. That wasn't in the forecast!

    *I meant to say at the Witte Museum IN San Antonio.*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to hear you met your friends. Hope you must have enjoyed the day well with them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great day with Catherine and Jo Beth. They are great folks and I'm sure loved your tour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to look up your hawk in my field guide... never seen one. We've seen the Harlan's Hawk (dark morph), so hope to see the Krider's Hawk some day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another day of making memories with new friends.

    It is pouring again up here in Houston. We have shared Thanksgiving with our daughter, Carrie, for the past four years, we never remember weather like this. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure Catherine and Jo-Beth appreciated the tour you took them on. Your pic of that hawk on the fence is sure a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's great to meet people you "know" from the blogging world, and it's like you are old friends within minutes. The hawk on the fence is so unusual looking, to me at least.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful hawk - sounds like a fun, if cold, day. I'm going to check out Living the Dream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVED that Krider's Hawk! We had a Red-Tailed Hawk fly into our tree today...He was being harassed by the smaller birds...Isn't it sooo neat to meet fellow RV'ers??

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always great to meet other bloggers! That is a wonderful photo of that hawk..excellent! Bitterly cold here and windy::(

    ReplyDelete
  17. We enjoyed meeting you this passed summer, and meeting fellow bloggers is super. Again as I said many times before your photo's are super.

    ReplyDelete
  18. More great bird pictures and some of new blogging friends! Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  19. always great to meet fellow RV'ers. . .and what a fabulous pic of the hawk. . .loved it!

    ReplyDelete