.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Friday, March 15, 2013

Friday Feathers

Want to see an Eastern screech owl?  Of course you do…

IMG_1973

                                                    “On, no!  More tourists interrupting my nap.”

IMG_1974

                                                                    “Nuts, I’ve got an itch!”

IMG_1975

                                                        “I’m so tired after hunting all night!”

IMG_1977

                                                       “Okay, so what do you want, anyway?”

IMG_1989

                                    “Sorry, I have to rest up for tonight’s hunt.  See you later…”Winking smile

The real beauty of this owl is that it was roosting for the day in a red-cockaded woodpecker hole.  Yep, in one of those white ringed longleaf pines along the Upland Discovery Trail on the refuge.  A visitor excitedly reported it to us in the VC this afternoon, and Kathy and I wasted no time getting out there to see it.  The red-cockaded woodpecker is not only an endangered species, but also a ‘keystone’ species.  That means that its homes are used by more than just their species.  This was a great example of how important they are to the entire ecosystem.  Cool beans!  (Sorry, sometimes I just have to add subtitles even though I know it’s anthropomorphism.) 

IMG_1966

                                                                                THE END!!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

28 comments:

  1. Cool beans...its all that and a bag of chips!

    Thanks! Made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good catch and wonderful pictures. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! Loved your captions, otherwise I wouldn't have known what was going on. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy if you are going to use words like anthropomorphism, you'll have to let us "not so smart" people what they mean. LOL But I did learn something as I looked it up. That was your plan wasn't it. Love the little owl what a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the anthropomorphisms. You didn't say a thing when I did it to the manatee in my latest blog post. What great pictures of that owl. Oh boy, lucky you!! Thanks for sharing these are just FABULOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the owl photos and your captions! If you can't have a little fun with such great pictures, then something is wrong LOL! I enjoyed your post tonight for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a cute little owl!!! We went to a presentation at High Desert Museum last Fall on owls, very informative, but hard to see them up close and personal like your picture, thanx!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love anthropomorphisms. Use them all the time on my cats photos.

    You did a great job capturing the screech owl! (in photos, I mean)



    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beauty. Love the coloring and how he just stayed there a let you take pictures. Great captions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How do you always manage to get the best shots. So glad you do. We have never snapped an owl let alone Eastern screech owl. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Photos! My turtles talked in my latest blog... why not an owl? Wouldn't it be something if we REALLY knew what they were thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love owls and so seldom see one--we hear them in Montana often in the evening. Great photos Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great word - anthropomorphisms. Looked it up too. Great photos of the owl. What a great bird.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those Eastern Screech-Owls are so colorful, but it isn't as camouflaged as the western!!! He really would be hard to miss.

    ReplyDelete
  15. cool beans is right ... what a great encounter

    ReplyDelete
  16. Since I like animals and birds better than some people, I have no problem with anthropomorphisms at all. I didn't even bat an eyelash!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That Screech Owl is a cutie. The red morphs don't blend into gray tree bark quite as well as the gray morphs, do they??

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful pics of the Screech Owl, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I learn so much reading your blog. Wonderful photos, and your captions are just too cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful pictures. I love the red morph of the Eastern screech owl. Think they are prettier than the grey. But haven't gotten to see one for years. All the owls in southwest Texas are grey. Did you every see any red morphs in East Texas anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love owls. Lucky spot by the visitor and glad they shared the sighting.

    ReplyDelete

  22. What a cute little owl!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    The USA Is Our Big Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anthropomorphism? Yes, that's what I like! Great picture story. He's a beautiful owl, and he just fits perfectly in the woodpecker's hole.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those owl pics were really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We always love looking at your pics. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete