.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A day of small adventures

With the weather forecasted to be outstanding today, Emma and I hopped into the car and headed out for Edenton National Fish Hatchery early this morning. 

IMG_0704

Edenton NRH is a warmwater hatchery which means that the fish raised here do best in water temperatures above 65 degrees.  It is one of the oldest hatcheries in the country, and was first established in 1898.  Currently, the hatchery mainly works with restocking Atlantic striped bass and American shad.  As I understand it, these fish spend their early life growing in the rivers along the Atlantic coast.  Then they spend their adult life at sea, and return to spawn in the rivers yearly.  Their numbers have drastically decreased because of pollution, dams, and over fishing. 

69  Pea Island & Alligator River NWRs  201218

The first thing to explore upon arrival is the aquarium.  There is a 700 gallon fresh water tank inside with all of the fish species that can be found in the coastal North Carolina rivers.

IMG_0715

There are 36 ponds where the young fry are raised until they’re large enough to be released into area rivers.  By the time winter rolls along, most all fish have been removed from the ponds to begin their lives in the rivers. 

IMG_0719

Can you guess what this is?  One of these contraptions was in each of the ponds that hadn’t been drained.  I thought perhaps it was a machine to distribute food to the young fish, although I knew the young fish mainly ate tiny microorganisms that are produced in the ponds by the addition of fertilizers to encourage their growth.  It turns out these machines go into action when the pond is determined to need more oxygen.  The paddles start turning, and churn up the water adding more oxygen.

IMG_0720

At the end of the ponds, there is a nature trail that is part of the Charles Karault Nature Trail and the North Carolina Birding Trail.  Not many birds were out and about while we visited, but the trail was actually the highlight of my visit.

IMG_0722

There is a short but very pleasant boardwalk that Emma and I sauntered down.  The leaves of the deciduous trees are beginning to turn, and the cypress needles are browning out before they drop to the ground.

IMG_0725

The boardwalk ends at a very peaceful overlook along Pembroke Creek.  This creek looks more like a river to me, but I don’t know who decides the difference between a creek and a river.  My mind thinks of a creek as being not very wide across, and not very deep.  This creek is very wide, and I was told had some very deep places in it.  I rested my hip, and enjoyed the solitude while sitting on one of the benches. 

_MG_0730

All too soon, it was time to head back.  There were several picnic tables near the parking lot, so I enjoyed the lunch I had packed outside while Emma was in heaven rolling in the lush green lawn. 

We made a couple of more interesting stops along the route home, but I think I’ll save those for tomorrow’s post.  I’ll be working the Pea Island Visitors Center tomorrow, so I need to remember to set my alarm so I can get up early enough to get there.  Annoyed

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

18 comments:

  1. I'm with you looks awfully big to be a creek.
    At least in the neck 'o the woods I grew up in.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, looks more like a river to me. As always, I appreciate your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creeks are narrow and shallow. At least in my book. I always find fish hatcheries interesting places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see the trees a changing. Going to have lots of colors there real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely spot...I could spend hours on that lookout just looking out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emma looks like she is enjoying her walk with you. I could probably spend the day at that boardwalk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures seem especially clear to me today - maybe I'm just seeing better! I wish I had the patience and know how to get those kinds of great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe it was named in a dry year...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find the life cycle of fish to be interesting..especially the Salmon of Alaska...What a very planned cycle they have...It amazes me to no end...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't you just love those elevated boardwalk trails? I do. Thanks for the tour and the great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, a fish story. You never end educating me in all kinds of things. Where should I send payment?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's wrong, somehow, that little ones are fish fry. It just reminds us how tasty they are.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a beautiful trail. The trees are starting to turn here in Oregon too. Hard to believe its really fall, it goes so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seems like a very peaceful trail and a great place to sit and rest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The only hatchery we've ever visited was a salmon hatchery in Ketchikan ... and I didn't think it was that interesting. Perhaps the pouring -- and I mean POURING - - rain had something to do with that. Will have to check one of in nice weather so I can pay attention to what is being explained to us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting place to visit. Love the walkways and Emma seemed to enjoy it too. I just couldn't get over how blue the skies were in some of your photos.

    ReplyDelete