.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Monday, July 16, 2012

America’s most famous feud

_MG_9346

I’m not exactly sure what I was expecting out of the Hatfield – McCoy Feud Driving Tour, but I thought I’d see a little more than historical markers.  We had heard from more than one source that the portion of the tour in West Virginia was best done with a four wheel drive vehicle, so we opted to only visit the sites around and in Pikeville, KY.  Kentucky is where the McCoy clan hailed from.

Pam and Stan had recently watched the Hatfield/McCoy Feud movie on the History Channel, but I had not.  This is probably why the tour was more rewarding for them than for me. 

_MG_9342

Following the tour route pamphlet was not easy.  Of course, it didn’t help that there was a car show going on in town which meant that Main Street was totally blocked off.  So we missed two of the sites because we couldn’t get to them.

_MG_9343 _MG_9345

Eventually we found the McCoy house.  It is still standing and is presently an Italian Restaurant. 

67 On the way to NC 201255

The highlight to the tour was the Dils Cemetery.  I found it interesting that the tombstone engraver spelled the word feud incorrectly on the McCoy grave marker.  We had to walk up quite a few steps to get to this cemetery on the side of the mountain.  What with Stanley’s back, Pam’s painful knee, and my miserable hip, we looked like the walking wounded.  Disappointed smile  Of course the heat and humidity didn’t help one little bit. 

_MG_9357

All good things must come to an end, and this morning Pam, Stan, and George pulled out of the campground to make their way back to the Chicago area.  Despite the awful temps at the beginning of the week, and the rain and thunder storms the last few days, I thoroughly enjoyed our time camping together.  It is such a treat for me to share some of my travels and adventures with someone to laugh with and talk to other than Emma.  I’m already looking forward to where we may meet next year.

_MG_9364

As I spent the day getting things packed up for my departure tomorrow morning, I once again noticed one of the camp hosts pilfering through the garbage cans.  What is up with that?  He drives around to all of the cans each morning, pulls all of the garbage out, rips open each of the bags and rummages around in them.  Yuck!  I know he’s looking for aluminum cans, but wouldn’t it be easier to have an aluminum recycling bin?  He doesn’t even wear gloves!  It really grosses me out.  I can’t imagine that this is part of his required duties as a host.  If it is, I certainly wouldn’t volunteer here.  If I think about what could be in those bags it’s enough to turn my stomach.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

20 comments:

  1. That is totally disgusting!!! What amazes me too is the number of people who do their sewer connection hookups without the aid of rubber gloves. Major YUK!!!! Then proceed to pick up the hose and drip it all over the campsite. Some people just have no consideration of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful tour Judy, well maybe except for that last picture. I promise not to tell Emma that you enjoy other company besides hers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right, that is really gross! I cannot imagine the germs, bacteria etc.... oh yuck.

    So glad you enjoyed your family time. Nothing can beat family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also watched the series on the feuding families. It would be interesting to see those sites. I had to watch the whole series with the closed captioning on. The southern accents were too hard to understand. It seemed Kevin Costner especially mumbled everything he said. Interesting story, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are people thinking? Well I guess they aren't is the answer. Wish you had just gone up and asked him what he was doing and maybe even why. :-)

    I'm sorry you didn't have the advantage of being able to watch the mini series. I'm sure it would have made the tour more interesting for you. But how nice for Pam and Stan to be able to visit the sites so close to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yuck. I hope I never get so poor I need to rummage through trash looking for recyclables.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think most everyone around our age has heard of the Hatfields and McCoys, but I had no idea that there was a tour available.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We saw the movie and would have liked the tour.

    Another mans trash is another mans garbage or something like that..lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know there was a mini-series on one of the channels (maybe History Channel) about the Hatfields and McCoys...starring Kevin Costner...We missed the first few shows, so didn't tune in mid story...It should be on again, I'll bet...Amazing what little spats turned into out and out wars back in the day...Den's family is from Campbellsville, KY...His grandma's maiden name was Campbell and that was also Den's Dad's middle name...I really need to research that family tree better...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like those two families fought about everything!

    How GROSS...looking through that stuff without gloves. YUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  11. At least you found most of the highlights... Oh and if that were part of my volunteer duties I think I'd have to find another spot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. eeeeew, that rummaging is disgusting!!! The Hatfield-MCoy movie on TV was really good i thought, would be great to see that area. Movie was filmed in Bulgaria or somewhere weird like that, tho, why is that? We don't have scenery around here, i KNOW we do!!!! i have seen some of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It makes you wonder what in the heck he was thinking...or looking for! Ewww! Maybe he needed the deposit on the cans...or something.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, at least you didn't get your head blown off on that tour so maybe you were lucky. That camp host guy must be really desperate to dig through that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice tour.
    I was never one for rummaging around in garbage, unless it was to find an address of someone who was stealing our services by dumping in our bin.
    A couple times in my illustrious career a parent would come to one of us in panic that his/her child had accidentally pitched out a "retainer", since they had taken it out to eat lunch. My reply was, "Well, I get paid to put the garbage IN the bin, not take it out, but I'll bring in the bags from lunch and you're welcome to rummage through them. Just be sure and clean it all up."
    Curiously enough, that would be the last time that child would "lose" their retainer. Mommy didn't like going through all the lunch garbage.
    I think I'd buy a little recycle bin and set it out next to that garbage can. Doesn't he know there's dog cr*p in there??

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is nice that you get together in different places each year. That makes for nice memories.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ewwwwwww! That is so gross! I'd report that! To whom, I don't know. What if he's looking for ways to steal somebody's identity? Glad you enjoyed your time together. We've enjoyed reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I admire you Judy for going it alone--you are a trooper!! And that is really, really gross!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is gross. Does that state have can deposit? In Iowa cans for soda etc. are worth $.05 each so people will do a lot to collect them but going through the garbage without gloves is just plain crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Besides being disgusting, it also makes the entire area around the garbage can unsanitary.

    ReplyDelete