.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Monday, November 22, 2010

Back on solid ground

After two more days at sea after Nassau, we pulled into the port of Galveston early on Sunday morning.  Everything went smoothly with our disembarkation, and by noon we were back at Anahuac NWR.  I deployed the slides, turned on the water, and opened up the windows to air out the rig.  I was happy to be home.  While on the cruise, we spent quite a few morning breakfasts with folks that had sailed many times.  Only about 1/6 of the people onboard were on their first cruise.  I was surprised that so many people seem to cruise so often.  While I truly enjoyed myself, I’m thinking this will probably be my only cruise.  I guess I’m just one of those people that prefers my land yacht.  This foray into massive crowds of people makes me that much more appreciative of my more off the beaten path lifestyle.  :)

I had to set my alarm for 5:00 this morning (UGH!) so I could get Pam to George Bush International Airport in time for her flight to Chicago.  Having her travel with me on this cruise really enhanced my experience.  What a good time we had together!  I think I’ll even keep it a secret that she snores.  :)

On the way back from the airport, I picked Emma up from the kennel.  Boy, she was sure happy to be home, also.  She ran right up to the steps to get inside, and after sniffing everything out, collapsed with a great sigh.  With all that barking at the kennel, she probably hasn’t had a good night’s sleep in three weeks!
_MG_7077 _MG_7095
After spending the afternoon catching up on three weeks of laundry, Emma and I headed out to get a bird fix on the refuge.  :)  It was late afternoon, and many red-tailed hawks were perched along the roadsides.
_MG_7082 As we drove the refuge roads, we stopped to enjoy the abundance of waterfowl that are feeding and loafing on the vast marshlands.  I think there are presently over 100,000 ducks and geese in residence. 
_MG_7092I even spotted two white-tailed kites along the drive.  I’m hoping to get a better picture of this raptor while I’m here.  They mostly feed on small rodents, and I’m very much in favor of that!  :)
_MG_7084 _MG_7086
This young white Ibis took time to pose for me at one of the water level control devises.  Next year, this bird will be entirely white in color except for black tips on it’s wings.

It seems the mosquito population has been very busy repopulating while we’ve been away.  That means you had better seek refuge inside by 5:00 each evening or not have any exposed skin surface.  I was outside in shorts with Emma this evening when the hoard of blood suckers descended… eek!

Thanks for stopping by…. talk to you later,  Judy   

22 comments:

  1. welcome Home!!..I bet Emma had a big sigh of relief when she came back!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home! It sure was an interesting cruise... even with a marriage proposal :-) I admire your bird photos they are super.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "While I truly enjoyed myself, I’m thinking this will probably be my only cruise. I guess I’m just one of those people that prefers my land yacht. This foray into massive crowds of people makes me that much more appreciative of my more off the beaten path lifestyle."

    Well, I've never had a hankering to take a cruise Judy & I think my reasons are probably just what you stated above. Would have liked to see the happy little Emma dog:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. You complained that you can't sleep unless there's noise in the room. I was happy I could provide some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a great adventure, and now back to a life of -well- more adventure- how great is that!

    Life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, the 'Bird Lady of Blogland' is definitely back home with another bunch of great bird pics!

    Sure glad to hear that Emma is just fine after her stint at the kennel. She'll be enjoying the peace and quiet for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome home, Judy & Emma!

    Yeap, no place like home!

    I'm also not a fan on cruises even I went on four times. During our July '10 Alaska cruise, I spent almost all the free time inside the stateroom on sail days, and only ate by ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome home. I bet Emma is happier than a clam now that you're home with her. I've never been on a cruise and I know I wouldn't want to go on one of those with thousands of people. Sure have missed your bird pictures.

    Did I say - welcome home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you and Emma are both home, but I sure did enjoy following your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now back to real life for Judy and Emma. It sounds like you enjoyed the cruise of a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to have you and Emma home. Funny how dogs seem to forget who took them to the kennel in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome Home and thanks for taking us along on your cruise to places we have never been. I bet Emma was extremely happy to see you walk through the door and take her home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome Home, no place like home, just ask Emma, I can't wait till I can head west and get back to Dardenne Prairie. I think I am like you after those years I spent courtesy of my namesake Uncle, on those pig iron air stations, I think my cruising days are over. I Did enjoy our junket to Cancun several years ago, and if the drug situation calms down wouldn't mind that. but you stay on dry land.Glad you are safe and sound catch up on some naps and give Emma a pet for all of us. Be safe out there.. Sam & Donna...

    ReplyDelete
  14. We've been on one cruise and enjoyed it, but feel like you do. Those "frequent cruisers" don't have their own land yacht like you do, so no wonder they feel the need to cruise. You cruise anytime you like.

    Welcome home. I'm glad Emma is okay. I was a little worried about her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's no place like home.. There's no place like home! I thought I heard the sound of heels clicking down south!!!

    So glad to know that everyone is safely tucked in at home with memories to last a lifetime ~ or however long memories last for a dog anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great TRIP, Ive been following along! Practically around the world-I cant wait to see the birds that you will be seeing now that you're back at the refuge! Been to TX a few times and took one day just to bird a nearby golf course and got 7 new species right off the bat!! Birders paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you and Emma are back together again, I worried about her a lot while you were gone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are glad you are home safe and sound with Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi - I have been reading your blog and love your pictures. Haven't seen a picture of Emma recently. I you want to, could you post a picture of her? Glad you are back home. I went on a cruise to Alaska-my one and only cruise. It was just lovely and highly recommend it if you choose to cruise again. They had to pry my little fingers off the boat when it ended. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad to have you home and showing us some great bird pics again..And thanks for taking us with you on your cruise..I only got a tad seasick..AND...I got quite attached to the Latin gentleman who proposed to you...what WAS his name anyway? I'm also very sure you got many big wet dog lips kisses when Emma saw you...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahh, back home - nothing like it, no matter where your home may be at the time. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete