.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Malheur Visitor’s Center

IMG_4687It was a full eight hour shift at the Visitor’s Center for me today.  Having had only seven visitors actually come in the door, I guess you could say that it was a little slow.  :(  Nothing like working the Visitor’s Center at Pea Island NWR or Laguna Atascosa NWR!  Kind of reminded me of Swan Lake NWR.  Oh well, I brought my lap top along today, and was able to catch up on my blog reading.  You can’t keep busy restocking merchandise if nobody buys anything.  The highlight of the day was selling four cans of pop to staff members.  :)  How sad is that? 
IMG_4685The Visitor’s Center has a huge deck surrounding it, and I’ve been told that it is packed with visitors for the spring bird migration.  The building, was constructed by the CCC in the 1930’s, and has a unique tiled roof with many colors.  The refuge was established in 1908, so is among the oldest refuges in the nation.  This building was used as the home of some of the earlier refuge managers.
IMG_4688 IMG_4681
These are the views out the front picture windows.  Not too shabby, I must say.
IMG_4689That’s the museum building on the left, and the public restrooms on the right.  These buildings were also constructed by the CCC.  The museum has a wonderful collection of stuffed birds of the refuge, and an egg collection.  It reminded me of a small version of the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology in Ithaca, NY.  Most of the birds were taxidermied (don’t think that’s an actual word:)) by one of the first refuge managers.  It’s a nice collection.
_MG_4676 _MG_4673
Remember my story from the other day about the mother yellow-headed blackbird?  Well, I now know where all the fathers were!
_MG_4677They were all here just in front of the deck at the Visitor’s Center pigging out at the bird feeders.  Looks like they don’t get along together any better than the hummingbirds do.  :)
IMG_4682There are also a lot of hollyhocks blooming around the VC for the hummers to enjoy. 

Tomorrow, the volunteer coordinator is taking me on a tour of the refuge in the morning.  After that, I’m going to have to try to figure out what to do about my latest attack of the motorhome gremlins.  This time, there appears to be a leaking out of my hydraulic leveling jack fluid on the back driver’s side jack.  :(  Ugh!  It doesn’t sound like that’s something I can fix myself, and here I am again in the middle of nowhere!

Thanks for stopping by….talk to you later,  Judy

11 comments:

  1. The tile on the visitor center is just beautiful. I love the colors. Nice view out the window!!
    Sorry to hear about the hydraulic leveling jack fluid....hope it might be fixed easily. I'll cross my fingers!!
    Nice pics today!!

    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like you had an easy day at work!!..good for you..at least there was time to catch up on the blogs!!..as for the leak?..hope you can fix it without too much trouble!!..nice bird pictures..funny how the males can't get along??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pics of that visitor center. The decking is particularly nice and would be a great place to hang out and just enjoy everything in view. That tile roof is interesting with those spots of blue colored tiles. It is unique.

    Hope business picks up for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might see more people there this weekend being a holiday and all.

    Do you get a free spot for the RV since you are volunteering? If so it looks like a nice place to relax for awhile.

    I have never seen a yellow headed black bird!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a few of those days at Ft. Pulaski where the only sales were to the staff. Hope things pick up for you, and I'm really sorry to hear about the leak. Makes me wonder if I should go back on the road - I had problems with my rig but nothing too drastic.

    At least you are in a beautiful place right now, and I'll be looking forward to hearing about the tour and seeing pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thoroughly enjoying all of your pictures. You are definitely the "bird lady of blogging"! I, too, liked seeing the visitor's center. I hope business picks up. Good luck with your hydraulic jack leak. I suppose you can't blame the bat? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures,The birds squabbling is really interesting. If that leak doesn't cause the jack to lower, I would just keep it wiped down and watch it.sometimes changes in temperature when it goes from hot to cool will cause a seal to weep. Hope it is minor,I had a brake master cylinder that would do that in the fall when the first freeze came, took a couple years before it failed completely, I would just wipe it down and top it off. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leaking things make me nervous..Maybe there is a traveling RV fixer who can make a "camper" call at your rig....
    That spot you're in looks very peaceful...I would love the views...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a seal is going bad on the jack. If it is not to bad, just keep the fluid level up with the required kind of fluid and you should be able to drive it to a repair place when you leave for the fix.

    Unfortunately, that is a fairly common problem, I carry the fluid with me, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You said it best yourself, Judy - "These are the views out the front picture windows. Not too shabby, I must say."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice views. When not busy at least you have something nice to look at. Good luck with your Gremlins. seems like they follow us wherever we go.

    ReplyDelete