.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Fiddling with Picasa3

Back about a year and a half ago, I decided to post a “Blast from the Past” every Sunday on the blog.  Each Sunday, I made a post of my travels and volunteering experiences from the time I hit the road fulltime until the time I started the blog.  I enjoyed revisiting those experiences, and including them in the blog.  I only had a couple of readers at that time.

As I was fiddling with learning about Picasa3 this afternoon, I decided to look at my photos from last summer.  I picked several of the photos out to see if I could upload them in a folder all concerning Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge.  I wanted to be able to use Picasa to upload pics to the blog rather than “my pictures.”  I think I’ve figured it out, so I’ll do  a little blast from the past about Swan Lake NWR tonight.

Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge is located just outside the small community of Sumner, MO.
IMG_3508IMG_3510Maxie, the World’s Largest Goose, is located in a park in the town of Sumner.  She also happens to be a weather vane that rotates around as the wind blows.  The funny thing about this being the goose capitol of the world, is that there are no longer any Canada geese here.  Some were imported from the golf courses of Kansas City last summer, to the refuge, to try to establish a resident population on the refuge.
IMG_3630 IMG_3972
I had plenty of interesting wildlife to view while I was there.  The raccoons really did a number on my bird feeders!
IMG_3545People also had an interesting way of displaying their catfish catches!  This guy was about four and a half feet long!  I don’t know why they nail them to the telephone post that way.  ?
IMG_4081 IMG_4091
Wildflowers bloomed, bugs bit, and the humidity was high!  I’m not sure I’d ever do another volunteer assignment in Missouri again for the summer.  :)
IMG_3561One of the local residents that came to give a talk on being a mountain man.  Not too many mountains in Missouri.  :)
IMG_4060Interesting billboard outside of Hannibal.  Missouri is an interesting place.  :)

I accidentally hit the publish button before I finished this post.  :(  I wanted to say that I think I've figured out  how to use Picasa3 to upload the photos I want to post for a blog post. 

Also, I was just thrilled today, when I took Emma on her first outs this morning, to hear an elk bugling in the woods across from the campground.  Both she and I stopped dead in our tracks in the early morning light!  How cool is that?

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later,  Judy

15 comments:

  1. great post, Judy..love the billboard!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the zipper billboard-funny and maybe effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it all worked good, your Picasa fiddling.
    Like the billboard pic, it's funny and maybe effective???.
    Take care & thanks for the post.
    Mike & Gerri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, your fiddling seems to have been a success. Lovely pics

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pics, Judy and they certainly displayed correctly.

    I'm just a little puzzled by what you mean when you say "I wanted to be able to use Picasa to upload pics to the blog rather than “my pictures.”

    There is no way, that I'm aware of anyway, for Picasa 3.6 to upload pics to a blog(I'm not referring to the Web Albums plug-in here). Live Writer can, of course, insert a photo from any location on your hard drive.

    I guess I must have lost something "in the translation" as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started reading your blog when you did the blast from the past on Dinosaur National Monument. I didn't realize your blog was so relatively new at that time. You've really become an expert in lots of blogging features since then!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can upload your pics from Picasa to a Picasa Photo Album OK but it works the other way around when using Live Writer. Live Writer goes & retrieve's your pics from Picasa not vice versa. You seem to be doing things right & like Rick, I may have missed something in the translation too. There just seems to be something unnecessarily cruel about nailing a fish to a post. I suspect you were in Redneck country because that is something that kind of mentality would do!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Judy,
    Hard to imagine you need Picasa, your pics look so good, I could count the raccoon's whiskers!

    No Canada Geese there at the refuge?! How is that possible?! They are every where!

    Funny, one of the few places we've seen just a couple of Canada Geese in IN Canada! lol

    Keep up the great job!
    Kathy
    Birdingrvers.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I may have to make a day trip to see the Goose Capitol of the World, just have to be careful while walking around that nobody sneaks up behind us. See what I mean about stuff close to home, been to Hannibal many times, pass through it on all my safari's to Iowa and never did see that billboard, At my age you don't need a padlock, rust does the job just as effectively. Tell Emma to be a good girl for her Mom. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures are perfect nice clear & sharp and the details of the raccoon are amazing. I to remember the zipper billboard.

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can imagine Emma's response to that elk bugle! Bravery in the face of a new sound is sometimes rare for a lab.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the grass picture at the top of your blog. Did you do some editing or is your camera that good?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to see Maxie whirling about in the wind! You could probably see by my blog post today I am messing with photos. Have not yet figured out my most comfortable way of getting them into posts. Ah well...something for a rainy day, eh? Elk bugling is an event I will look forward to in our travels! Maggie sends hugs to Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love, love, love your pics! What camera are you using?
    Now remember, Missouri is The Show Me State...I'm just sayin'...
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are right, not too many mountains in Missouri - except the Ozarks. But there were a lot of mountain men that brought their furs back to St. Louis.

    ReplyDelete