.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Oh baby it's cold outside...

People in Houston are excited with the possibility of snow on Friday. To them I say "Bah Humbug!" I came south to avoid snow. ;) Boy am I happy, though, that I arrived yesterday. The winds today have been more than blustery. It sure feels like the wind chill is below freezing. I questioned Stephanie, the volunteer coordinator, today about this since she had promised me warm temperatures if I would come to volunteer. She had the audacity to insinuate that it was my fault for bringing the bad weather with me. Well, let me tell you that I am used to that. Many people have commented that they like me, but really hate to see me come in person because inevitably bad weather follows. Hey, I'm beginning to feel like Charlie Brown's friend Pigpen that has a cloud following him. ;)

I had my re-orientation to the refuge today. If the wind dies down tomorrow, I'll get some pictures of the new volunteer community building and the interim visitor's center. Looks like I'll be doing salinity checks, bird surveys, and visitor's center work besides helping to organize the education programs. I'm happy to have a variety of things to do.

I was assigned a refuge vehicle today so I can start checking out the birds soon. Tomorrow I have to go to town to buy a water jug. The only drinkable water is in the community building. It is a reverse osmosis system and presently, you can only get two gallons of water at a time. I'm thinking a two gallon jug will do. The water at the sites is OK for showers and dishes, but not for drinking. This is really not a big deal to me. I just need to get a new jug because my last one, that I used here before, finally bit the dust last week.

Since I have a full tank of propane, I'm going to give the furnace a good work out for the next three days or so. I hate being cold. I'll deal with possibly having to get it filled before I leave later.

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment