.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Friday, March 11, 2016

This week was a mixed bag

It’s kind of exciting to have visitors, and this week my sister, Pam, and my grandniece, Amy, flew in from Chicago to spend a few days with me.  They had delays and missed connections and didn’t arrive until the wee hours of Sunday morning.  Since I don’t drive at night, they holed up in a motel in San Diego until I could get there once the sun was up.  Of course it rained for my whole drive to the motel.

_MG_2627

On the way back to Jojoba, we took a side jaunt to the Palomar Mountain Observatory.  The drive up Mt. Palomar was socked in with fog, but skies were beginning to clear at the top.

_MG_2629

The 200” telescope is used nightly by astronomers.  If you visit, you get to go inside the building, but there’s no looking through the telescope.  I found it interesting that the huge lens was made by Corning in New York.  I used to live not too far from Corning, and had visited their glass works many times in the past.

_MG_2634

That’s the road up the mountain.  Lots of switchbacks.  It’s a good thing we went on Sunday because by Tuesday morning the road would have been snow covered.

On Monday we spent most of the day inside the rig since it rained almost all day.  I did show them around the park, and we went for the Monday afternoon root beer float gathering.

_MG_2637

Tuesday the sun was out so we headed for Borrego Springs early in the morning.  Kind of surprising to see snow on the mountains along the way.

_MG_2642

I took the scenic Montezuma Valley Road down to Borrego Springs.  Pam really enjoyed the scenery and couldn’t get over all the big boulders strewn about.

_MG_2649

Of course there was the mandatory picture with the serpent to take care of. Winking smile  You know, the last time I saw Amy she wasn’t even in school yet, and now she’s 14 and a freshman in high school.  Her mother, Christine, used to come and spend the summers with my family in upstate New York when she was about that age.  Time sure flies.

_MG_2654

I do believe we found all of the sculptures that were scattered around the countryside.  Some, like this one, I had never seen before.  83 Jojoba Hills 20152The brittlebush was blooming everywhere along with these desert wildflowers.  I have no idea what they are.  We stopped for lunch at Carmelita’s in Borrego Springs before heading back to the rig.

_MG_2664

About 3:30 we went down to the air gun range so Amy could have her first experience shooting an air rifle.  She did very well.  We were all having a good time, when I suddenly knew I was going to be sick.  Thank goodness there was a large garbage can at the range.

Needless to say I was toast for the rest of the day.  Spent most of my time in the bathroom.  We’re thinking it was possibly food poisoning from the shrimp taco that I had for lunch.  I was worried about being able to take Pam and Amy back to the airport the next morning.  Thankfully, Fredericka, a fellow member here, volunteered to drive them at the crack of dawn.  I never would have made it.

So I’ve spent the last couple of days recuperating from that miserableness.  I sure am glad they visited, but I just wish I hadn’t gotten sick.

_MG_2662

                                                                              THE END!!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

26 comments:

  1. sorry you got sick while you had company. Something about fish or shrimp tacos that just never did ring my bell.

    I love the last picture, there all good but that last one is something

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food poisoning is not fun. Hope you are fully recovered. Glad your neighbor was willing to drive your family to the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or maybe you got sick because you saw Amy outshooting you on the range? ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are feeling better--too bad it happened while you had company!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you're better... what a bummer! What a treat having your family visit....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Food poisoning ... not fun. I was so sick on a business trip that Mui had to take the train from DC to Philly to drive me back as I was so weak in the aftermath that I couldn't drive myself back. Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you found some sculptures we haven't seen.
    Sorry you got sick. We've eaten at Carmelita's several times, but now probably won't again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a bummer to get sick with your sister and grandniece there.

    The sculptures are interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a nasty way for you to end such a nice visit. What wonderful neighbors you have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We just flew in to Yuma yesterday and luckily made our 2 connections flawlessly.
    Love Borrego springs and the sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice visit with your sister and grandniece, minus the ending! I love all your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you really think it was from a shrimp taco, I hope you reported it to the restaurant. They need to know their food is poisoning people! And, geez, I sure hope you're feeling better by now. Heckuva way to end your relatives' visit. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a shame to get sick, and when you have company at that. At least you were able to show them some of the nearby sights. I sure hope you are feeling better by now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I HATE food poisoning! Just hate the whole process. The last time we had it was in the Czech Republic and it was so bad. Both of us sick at the same time. I'll say no more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like y'all had a wonderful time in spite of the food poisoning. How nice to see your grandniece after all the years. Hope you are feeling much much better this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope by now you are over it. I find it amazing how our bodies can so violently react to food poisoning. I've only had it a few times, but am wary of many shrimp dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I grew up just over 100 miles north of Corning, went there many times. I vote for the taco:( I have a bad one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh NO!! Glad you didn't have to make that trip to the airport with a WalMart bag in your lap just in case..Too bad you got sick but it sounds like you had a great time with family..That's always a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love reading your blog. Sorry to hear about food poisoning. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have read your blog, that's very nice, please visit here too -

    http://www.seathecity.com

    With time there are many Manhattan island boat tour new professional services seen coming up, the boat services are something new that adds to the charm and delight for all customers coming to this part. There are jet ski rental new york city different new ranges of water boat services available in an around the country making it best enough for tourists in all ways.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They didn't let you view through the scope??..That's not nice.....
    If you are ever in Idaho check out Bruneau Dunes State Park....Plenty of scopes to view the sky, and they are there for all of us..
    Having followed you for quite a while make sure it's not skeeter season there. They are hungry at certain times of the year. When they aren't it's heaven with the stars and the dunes and the small beach and lake..
    David

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't know where your blog went on my blog roll, but I was so glad to hear from you in your comment. I'm trying really hard to catch up with everyone. I have always appreciated your comments and encouragement. I hope you are feeling better. I've been sick on the road and is NOT fun.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice post.Thanks for sharing this in your blog

    ReplyDelete